Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)
Re: Coorg Star Party - An Astrophotography / Visual Observation Trip to Talacauvery, Coorg

M&M's technical/R&D prowess is much better than suzuki currently. The Japanese maker is at the precipice with it's now launched vitara, currently it's most tech laden product, biggest platform, engine etc... As the proverbial term goes thrown the kitchen and sink at it. This is the end of the road for suzukis technical know how! They don't have a better product anywhere else in the world apart from rebadged Toyotas that know one buys. When one can buy an actual Toyota RAV4, why would anyone buy one with a suzuki badge on it?

For anything better suzuki needs help, therefore it first ran to VW, now it's under Toyota's patronage.

M&M already makes more expensive vehicles in price brackets suzuki can only dream of competing in.

No doubt jimny is a proven product, a good lightweight diminutive SUV with a small petrol engine. But it's foolhardy to say that suzuki is superior to Mahindra any which way.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:42   #137

re: Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

The bronze color doesn't look great in the picture, but the white color looks good. Although I do have a 4x4 AT Thar, I would purchase a 2WD if it were for my wife. She navigates Thar with ease. I'm sure 2WD will appeal to lots of women. My one question is: Why do you need an AT tire for this? I favor tyres that are more comfortable, a different alloy design, and modified suspension that puts more of an emphasis on comfort.
Autonaut is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:02   #138
BHPian

That in White will look absolutely smashing and I have no doubt itl overtake Black Thar in popularity right away.

I expect Mahindra to launch this at 11.99 and then increase it to 12.49 soon after. This gives Mahindra enough leeway to launch a cheaper 4x2 MT in the near future.
vellatechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:44   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
That in White will look absolutely smashing and I have no doubt itl overtake Black Thar in popularity right away.

I expect Mahindra to launch this at 11.99 and then increase it to 12.49 soon after. This gives Mahindra enough leeway to launch a cheaper 4x2 MT in the near future.
When the ScorpioN Diesel MT is available from 12.49 lakhs (Z2 variant) with the full MHawk 2.2L engine and seating for 7 people, and with a decent set of features too, M&M will find it hard to justify a much smaller vehicle with a much smaller and inferior engine to be priced close to that. The only features the ScorpioN Z2 diesel MT lacks as compared to the Thar 2WD is cruise control. On the other hand it gains rear wheel disc brakes, watts linkage suspension, and a few other features the Thar does not get. Plus the much larger interior and luggage capacity as well. This is why I think M&M may come in with shock pricing of 9.99 for the Diesel MT 2WD Thar.
84.monsoon is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 14:58   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
When the ScorpioN Diesel MT is available from 12.49 lakhs (Z2 variant) with the full MHawk 2.2L engine and seating for 7 people, and with a decent set of features too, M&M will find it hard to justify a much smaller vehicle with a much smaller and inferior engine to be priced close to that.
Exactly, this is what I am thinking currently. Yes, Z2 is barebone in interior with hard plastics, but it is a great value considering the engine, seating capacity and highway capabilities. Thar has its small size advantages as a second car then it has that robust, tough as nails stance and typical Wrangler-ish boxy design which Scorpio N lacks. Heart still behind Thar though, probably, I would go for an Diesel Auto. Thar is going to sell more and more with this new additions for sure and I can only foresee longer waiting periods.

Then what kind of color this is? Golden? Horrible looking. White is ok but it will age not so nicely. Yellow, or the Bikini Blue from JL are great colors and why Mahindra of all the million shades this Gold? Who asked for this?

Last edited by sgmuser : 4th January 2023 at 15:02.
sgmuser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 17:10   #141
BHPian

Not sure really, how he managed to get to drive all the yet to be launched Mahindra (mostly) vehicles and here is a drag race between 1.5 vs 2.2 Dsl Thar:

sgmuser is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 10:05   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

2023 Mahindra Thar 4x2 RWD specs listed on official website.

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-20230105_100545.jpg

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-smartselect_20230105101303_drive.jpg

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-smartselect_20230105100353_drive.jpg

Thar Brochure 40 pages 2nd 1RWD.pdf

Last edited by Venkatesh : 5th January 2023 at 10:27.
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 11:00   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

This is good news - The Diesel 2WD will come in MT only but will have an entry level AX (O) from the looks of it as well as an LX trim. The AX(O) D117 RWD will become the entry point into the range and could offer a sub-10-lakh ex-showroom price point, to take the Jimny head on. It is decently kitted out and offers ESC, Hill hold, Rear parking sensors, 4 star NCAP safety rating, LED tail lamps, height adjustable driver seat, Break locking differential etc. The presence of BLD is welcome news as this was in question prior to launch.

The Petrol LX AT trim will cater to urban customers who want the sheer presence of the Thar and the convenience of an auto, but do not want to pay big bucks for 4WD system they will never use. I expect this to be priced much higher, say around 12 lakhs ex-showroom. The lowest available automatic trim for the ScorpioN is Z4 AT which is priced closer to 15 lakhs.
84.monsoon is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 12:54   #144
BHPian

I know purists will hate this product, but have to give it to Mahindra for making hay when the sun shines

Jimny will not have it easy, for sure.
Sk8r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 13:00   #145
BHPian

Honestly I am finding it difficult to understand the mindset of those customers who are buying a proper jeep like Mahindra Thar without having 4x4 mechanicals. Its like buying an iPhone without an apple iOS in it.

Pardon my ignorance!
highwaypatrol is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 13:16   #146

Would the 2WD version have better (more supple) suspension considering that it would not be expected to be an off-road vehicle?
WDYWFM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:36   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Honestly I am finding it difficult to understand the mindset of those customers who are buying a proper jeep like Mahindra Thar without having 4x4 mechanicals. Its like buying an iPhone without an apple iOS in it.

Pardon my ignorance!
It is like buying a Royal Enfield for driving in the city where any 150cc bike could do the same job with some compromise on style-statement, comfort and power.

As someone once said, majority of the city dwelling Thar owners might never go off-road to utilize the 4x4.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 17:07   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post

Pardon my ignorance!
I think the same argument can be used for customers who have the 4x4 mechanicals but never used it.
Old_Salt is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 17:25   #149
BHPian

Going by the varied feelings expressed in this forum about a 2WD Thar and percepetions around it and the would be owners, it is clear that Mahindra S&M have done a fair job - once again.

I wonder if the Aug 23 launch date of Maruti will change now. Like someone said - Long live competition.
Old 5th January 2023, 18:37   #150
BHPian

I went through the brochure. Rear brakes as listed as 282mm drums. Are they going for drum brakes for all variants?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks