Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 11:15   #211
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Mahindra Thar RWD has been launched at Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom)
When does booking commence, Any updates....

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2023 at 13:02. Reason: Typo
Old 9th January 2023, 11:15   #212
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Sweet Pricing by M&M. I can envisage the waiting period to cross over an year
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20230109-10.59.56.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20230109-10.58.20.jpeg  

Last edited by MAS : 9th January 2023 at 11:18.
MAS is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:17   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar RWD has been launched at Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom).
The price is spot on at ₹10.99L for LX Diesel MT.
But I don't know how I feel about this. The one thing which made it unique & extremely capable is the 4x4.
In two minds considering the price difference.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:19   #214
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

- Introductory prices for first 10,000 bookings, (ex-showroom)

-
- Two engine options

- Thar 1.5 diesel engine comes with manual gearbox only

- Thar 2.0-litre petrol 2WD comes with 6 speed automatic
9.99L ex showroom means around 13 lacs on road Bangalore.
13.49L ex showroom means around 16.5 lacs on road Bangalore.

I think those of us who bought the 4x4 when it was first launched, got a nice price. I paid a total of 17.5 lacs including all the OEM accessories which I chose, which themselves cost about 65K. So 16.85L on road.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:22   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic pricing and very close to what we had guessed. The two wheel drive AX optional gives M&M an entry point into an entirely different segment comprised of the Venue, Sonet and base versions of the Vitara Brezza. This will be a big hit in rural areas and small towns with rough roads where M&M has a reputation of supplying reliable and Hardy vehicles like the Bolero and the Major. It will also appeal hugely to the young urban singles who don't value five usable seats as much, are on a shoe string budget, but want to make a statement as well as explore the country. Ducking under the 10 lakh bracket would mean huge road tax gains in or road pricing in states like TN.

The top end LX petrol automatic gets the car into urban homes, were people want a lifestyle weekend (second or third) car which is convenient to drive and park in the City. Affordability and pricing is not a concern for these folks but the smoothness of the MStallion petrol and the convenience of an AT will be the draw.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 9th January 2023 at 11:24.
84.monsoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:35   #216
BHPian

LX Petrol AT HT 4x4 price in Delhi starts at 15.82 lakh ex showroom, so 4x2 starting at 13.49 is great pricing. Plus whatever minor increase is there in the fuel efficiency is icing on the cake.
Old_Salt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:41   #217
BHPian

Quote:
===
Link
From the official picture it's clear that those wheel well humps have been neatly covered with glass holders. Most of the first gen owners might have used after market solutions to use that space. Any existing owners can confirm this please.

Thanks.
AG86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:52   #218
BHPian

The waiting period is going to be obnoxiously high for a Mahindra vehicle with this new launch/pricing, and will deter many after the initial euphoria of a Thar Jeep sans a transfer case. Hard to say: but the 4x2 backlog may soon far exceed of 4x4. It will be impossible to get a 4x4 quickly. :(
Wish they had launched a pure blue color too.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 12:03   #219
BHPian

The Mahindra website is not accepting any booking at the moment. True to type, it will crank up slowly and once up, will keep going. Remember Jeremy Clarkson's review(?) of the Mahindra CJ under the head 'dogs and the dregs' Has come a long way, well done Anand Mahindra
TopLiveCentre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 12:04   #220

A sub 15 Lac on road price tag would have made much more sense for the Petrol AT 4x2 variant. At 17Lac on-road people might as well go for the 4x4 Petrol AT or better yet a Scorpio N !
Old 9th January 2023, 12:18   #221
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That is really incredible pricing on the AX Diesel MT. Keep in mind that it's a hard-top which is worth a lakh more. The antique & jugaad 1st-gen Thar soft-top was selling for the same (or higher price) if you factor in inflation!

Diesel MT LX too fantastically priced. I expect this to be a popular variant as it's a lakh more for a long list of extras.

For the less-price sensitive BHPians, I would still recommend the larger 2.0L turbo-diesel (with an AT too) because its a jewel of an engine. And 4x4 opens up a whole new world. I've driven Mahindra 1.5L diesels and they are awesome in the city, more fuel efficient than the 4-pot diesel, but run out of breath at ~100 kmph.

Petrol AT at 13.49 lakhs will be a slow seller, as the turbo-petrol is a damn guzzler for anyone with reasonable running (I am currently seeing 6.xx kmpl in Bombay). But it's also super refined, very fast for a Jeep and doesn't have DPF / BS6 headaches. Among Thar Petrols, this will be the dominant variant and only a few enthusiasts will go for the Thar Petrol 4x4 (unlike the diesels where the bigger 2.0L engine or AT gearbox will draw even non-enthusiasts).

Bit disappointed to not see a convertible in the line-up as the opportunity to flip down the top and enjoy open-top cruising is unparalleled. It makes business sense though as the hard-top accounts for like 80% of sales and is so much more practical.

I still stand by my post made earlier today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think the 2WD Thar is going to drastically increase sales.

1. It's a Thar at the end of the day. That means 2-door impracticality, bumpy ride quality & awful highway usability / stability.

2. The sales increase will be marginal in the longer-term, once the initial launch excitement settles down. The Thar is already doing ~4000 units / month which is incredible for an impractical Jeep.

3. In fact, the overall profitability of the product will come down as many customers who would've otherwise bought the 4x4 in a higher trim will now happily settle for the 4x2. This will reduce the average transaction size.

The only reasoning IMO behind the 4x2 Thar is that, Mahindra might see demand softening for the 4x4 and a cheaper Thar is a way to sustain the existing sales levels. Demand for the 2-door will also fall off a cliff once the more practical 4-door Thar is unveiled. I forget the exact numbers, but 75 - 80% of Wrangler sales in the USA are for the 4-door, not the 2-door.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2023 at 13:42. Reason: RP.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 13:26   #222
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG86 View Post
From the official picture it's clear that those wheel well humps have been neatly covered with glass holders. Most of the first gen owners might have used after market solutions to use that space. Any existing owners can confirm this please.

Thanks.
Correct. I have a dealer provided - dirty after market trio of over priced arm rests made of composite ply lightly covered in vinyl.

This picture shows a much slicker looking pair of arm rests at the rear. But the front? Is there any info whether they have given a front arm rest too? That is very necessary for driver comfort.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th January 2023 at 13:33.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 13:26   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Is the Rear armrest and cup holder part of standard accessory from Mahindra now ?
sinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 13:55   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
9.99L ex showroom means around 13 lacs on road Bangalore.
No, it would be 12 lacs on road. Remember the road tax slab change?
ramki.grandhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 13:56   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Correct. I have a dealer provided - dirty after market trio of over priced arm rests made of composite ply lightly covered in vinyl.

This picture shows a much slicker looking pair of arm rests at the rear. But the front? Is there any info whether they have given a front arm rest too? That is very necessary for driver comfort.
That needs to be confirmed. The brochure only mention the front door bottle holder. The rear arm rest & cup holders are not mentioned anywhere clearly, which means that it can either be a part of the standard design or an accessory. No mention of any armrest for the front seats anywhere in the brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-screenshot-20230109-135520.jpg  

AG86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks