Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2023, 13:47   #331
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
Interestingly, White is not available to book online on auto.mahindra.com portal. There are only 2 color options(Black and Red) to select online for RWD.
You must be trying to book AX (O), try selecting LX 2WD and you will see white as an option.
dhruv45in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 14:37   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
You must be trying to book AX (O), try selecting LX 2WD and you will see white as an option.
Thanks for correcting me dhruv45in. I can now see other colors but I remember seeing only 2 options when I booked. I will check with my dealer if he can change the color to White or Bronze if possible.

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-tharcoloroptions.jpg
snallagatla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 20:13   #333
BHPian

There is no word yet on the start of delivery i believe, I got mine booked through the dealer and even they are clueless about the delivery schedules.

Seems like a tough journey for someone like me since patience is not my forte. Any one having an idea of the delivery schedule may please share. What happened to the start of delivery from Jan 14 promise?

Also, any tips to stay patient and calm until delivery date are most welcome since the cars I have purchased have rather been delivered in maximum of a weeks time.
Old 20th January 2023, 00:59   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
There is no word yet on the start of delivery i believe, I got mine booked through the dealer and even they are clueless about the delivery schedules.

Seems like a tough journey for someone like me since patience is not my forte. Any one having an idea of the delivery schedule may please share. What happened to the start of delivery from Jan 14 promise?

Also, any tips to stay patient and calm until delivery date are most welcome since the cars I have purchased have rather been delivered in maximum of a weeks time.
Dealership guys throughout MH have no idea about the deliveries, whenever asked there is a standard reply that things are not moving from company’s end. They have stock available with them but are not able to deliver just yet, reason? No update from company. I don’t understand the rationale behind this move.
337699gsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:41   #335

14th January seems to have been a ploy to gather bookings, before Maruti comes up with it's competitive product.
Gemini_Delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 19:42   #336

It was a ploy. Mahindra doesnt make use of such ploying usually, but I guess Jimny looked bit too sweet, in photos, to overlook, even for Mahindra.

I have had a word with the showroom today and they said it is possible that deliveries may begun by Feburary end. However this is only an estimate as thay are also awaiting updates from Mahindra which has not issued any commitment.
He also gave an estimate that the most of the persons who booked on Day 1, may get included within 10k price bracket.
old_miles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 21:45   #337
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The showroom in my place is giving assurances on nothing. In fact they openly say that they are not kept in the loop by the company
rajeevsulu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 23:13   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra has huge waiting lists for the XUV 700 and Scorpio N. Lately, the XUV 400 EV bookings open wef 26/01.The Thar 4X4 also had a waiting list and now they have bookings for the Thar 2 WD. The older CJ series was in production for decades together, when by the late 1970's they launched a 2 WD variant. These 2 WD variants are good for semi urban localities where the not so good roads connecting towns and villages could throw up challenges.

The point is that Mahindra with its huge waiting lists of select models has not announced any new assembly lines to augment production. Hence, whether these waiting lists are becoming money spinning machines for Mahindra?
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 07:59   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The point is that Mahindra with its huge waiting lists of select models has not announced any new assembly lines to augment production. Hence, whether these waiting lists are becoming money spinning machines for Mahindra?
Definitely a benefit. It is also possible that Mahindra is not putting in money to for new production facilities for ICE based vehicles considering the future of ICE vehicles. KUV100 is going off their list, and the capacity for that could be re-used.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 08:04   #340
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
In my book they should have bid for and bought the Ford plant.
In reference to this point about ‘money spinning machines’ - is it related to the ‘cash float working capital’ generated by the booking amounts paid in advance?
Because this amount won’t even go to Mahindra, because we pay our advance to the dealers and thus only help the dealers with their working capital.
If it is the size of their order book, then it is fine, but even then, it is only ‘future income’ and will take a long time to realise this as ‘real income’ - so it is a ‘catch-22’ situation - until Mahindra makes enough vehicles, they cannot deliver them against the firm orders booked. And unless they deliver these, the whole chain will not be able to realise ‘real income’ from such sales.
Thus Im not able to understand this ‘money spinner’ point.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd January 2023 at 08:05.
Old 25th January 2023, 11:24   #341

Now they are booking XUV 400s from 26th Jan. This, notwithstanding that there is no update on bookings taken for THAR, for which delivery was staring on 14th jan 23.
Old 25th January 2023, 20:01   #342
BHPian

UPDATE:

Received a call from dealership that the car was billed and allotted. It is expected to reach them by this Saturday. Also, the aquamarine colour which they had was allotted to someone.

This means delivery will be scheduled in the 1st week of February and there are no crazy wait periods like Thar had earlier. Excitement is on top
337699gsd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 20:20   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337699gsd View Post
UPDATE:
Received a call from dealership that the car was billed and allotted. It is expected to reach them by this Saturday.
This is superb, congratulation. Which city and dealer is this ? I just spoke to DEE EMM Mahindra in Gurgaon, they have no clue when will deliveries start or on waiting period.

If you are comfortable sharing do share your booking date and number. It would be helpful for others to gauge their deliveries.

Cheers
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 21:22   #344
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congratulations on getting delivery of your vehicle!! My dealer has no clue at all! Looks like I have a decent sized waiting period in front of me!
Old 25th January 2023, 22:26   #345

I had booked the White 4x2 Diesel LX variant on the first day of booking at 4.45pm, when online bookings had just started. Have now got a message by the dealer informing the estimated delivery date as 14th Feb 2023.

Want to share the booking experience for the benefit of fellow members:

2 days prior to the price reveal of 4x2 Thar, I gave it a thought and decided not to go for the 2 door Thar considering the ingress-outgress issue for the back passengers. Although I am a cross country driving nut, I decided not to test drive the then available 4x4 version (4x2 test drive wasn't available). Although the price reveal was around 9am (if i am not mistaken), i checked my Twitter feed only around 12 noon. We were in the market for a new car, and I rejected the Scorpio N manual after a TD, and an automatic was out of budget considering i bought XUV700 last year. I called my dad saying diesel AX version of the Thar would be less than 11.5 lakhs onroad. We knew at this price we don't even get half decent safe hatchbacks these days. I never wanted the pseudo SUVs whereas my dad always wanted a Jeep type vehicle and always pestered me to buy a Force Gurkha. Finally, within 2 minutes of the conversation (which included the gst benefit and club mahindra trips), the heart ruled over the head, and the decision was sealed. I left home immediately after the call, around 12.30 pm to check the scene at the dealership.

In Punjab, Thar means celebration of life. When i reached the dealership at 1pm, I saw that more than 30 files were piled up, and there were another 20-30 odd 6 footer Jatt customers engaged by executives for booking formalities, payment and file making.

Luckily, the online bookings hadn't opened, and the word from Mahindra to the dealership was that it would open around 4 pm. I took a bit of time and decided to go for the Diesel LX variant because the dealer staff had no idea about the colours available for the base variant, and whether ESP would be available in it or not. They were showing me the old 4x4 brochure. The online 4x2 brochure was there but it had some bracketed stuff written in variant differences like- (only with D117 engine), I knew D117 was the 1.5 litre engine but still I couldn't trust anyone at the dealership- they had any clue or training. Also as mentioned before, my research for the vehicle was incomplete and I was at the dealership out of the blue. I thought 1 lac premium for the LX was worth even if it was only Alloy wheels and android auto. Also, I didn't want to miss out on the white colour. It was not mentioned that white colour is not available for AX(O) model. It turned out that I was right as it came to be known only when online bookings started that only red and black colours were available for the base variant. By the time my file was made and submitted, it was 3pm.

My file was put in the 4pm slot. They had the upto 11am slot, up to 2.30pm slot, upto 4pm slot and after 4pm slot.
They had around 4 to 5 people on computers and laptops, each given around 10 files. I didn't find it suitable to push for my file but gathered that it was third or fourth in line with a computer executive. They had their own dealer management system connected to Mahindra server where they individually punched orders but would save time spent at payment gateway as I assume they already would have provisioned for it.
While the Jattas went home smiling, I stayed put at the dealership and kept loitering around the computer room section. At 4.45pm, the executive came to me and conveyed that the online booking has started. Meanwhile, the dealer punching hadn't started yet due to some Mahindra server technical glitch. I took my phone out and smoothly completed booking in the next 2 to 3 mins. Post my booking, the dealer booking too started, and subsequently, i instructed them to pull my file as my booking was already done by myself. They fetched my file in front of me, and it got confirmed that my file was still 3 to 4 files below in the stack.

The moral of the story is that at least during booking, let the head rule over the heart and not the other way round.

Would we declare this as another botch up by Mahindra, I don't know. But I feel for the Thar lovers here in Punjab. They were made to wait for a year for their beloved 4x4 vehicle (many paid so much extra to get early delivery), and many more will have to wait for 6 months for the 4x2 version considering poor planning and execution by Mahindra. I won't blame the dealer for this although the staff had no clue about the variant differences nor the colours available for AX(O).

Coming to the vehicle, the 1.5 litre engine is not good in
comparison to the 2.2 litre Mhawk. I have not tried the Mhawk in Thar, but the lag in power delivery at gear shifts as well as the jerks at the transition in gears made me remember my childhood experiences of the gear slotting and the subsequent jerks of our Mumbai BEST bus. Sitting in the solo front seat next to the BEST driver gave me such an adrenalin. Vis-a-vis, the 2.2 Mhawk in XUV700 is so refined and a treat to drive. Although XUV prices have touched the roof, I would suggest people have a look at the MX variants of the XUV. Driving the XUV manual is a pure joy.

Happy mile munching,
Jumper_
jumper_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks