Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 00:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
i would also rather own a Petrol to diesel due the to the factors:
1. Petrols Easy to maintain- HOW so please explain
2. Too much fuzz about which diesel to use in diesel cars-i think there are choices for petrol 2 like speed,power?
3. Diesels Do start giving problems if used rough (from personal experience) until and unless its GODDY SAFARI coz that is meant to be used rough- have had a scorpio for nearly 4 years and i dint spend anything extra on maintainence other than routune servicing also it was used on very rough roads and no problem(in fact i think its the safari which has maintainence problems)
4. Engine parts are costly.- which parts
5. Diesel engine Turbo has water phobia -petrol engine is going to work underwater?(i think except for nuclear powered subs all the others are powered by disel engines)

And why would i go for a diesel car:
1. Rs 31 /ltr and if my running is around 100+ km a day which is currently no more than 50 KM but exceptions are always there hehe.
If u compare the same car with petrol and diesel engine (eg indica petrol and diesel) the disel engined car gives u almost 2times the FE compared to the petrol version
I am still trying to convince my dad not to go for a diesel car but he wont listen someone help me please..
Well sir will all due respect here are the answers:

1. Easy to maintain as in there service cost is lesser and stuff

2. Ya you can fill the petrol car with either regular or speed no problem where as diesel engines some companies say "dont use regular, use premium diesel" and on tbhp its other way round kinda lot of confusing. And in petrol just use regular and add additives if u want which is recommended by both companies and tbhp.

3. Well SAFARI / SCORPIO same difference they are meant to off road and rugged.

4/5. Overhauling of accent crdi and there was thread on tbhp regarding fiesta DIESELS getting water in engine and i have seen the same on my uncle SKODA 1.9 TDi where as we drive in same condition in PETROL cars and we have never had any such problem of water getting into engine or turbo (well none of the petrol cars i own have a TURBO) lol...

TOTALLY agree Indica diesel gives better FE but its service interval is also per 5k KM service is also costlier than diesel.

Dont think u need help ur dad has made the right choice:
He sure has made the right choice but i know my dad. How much he rug cars. Prime example of it is. 2nd Service at 10K km and 3rd service at 25K KM+. IF any diesel car can take this beating easily i am ready 80% now for diesel car lol...

Plus one more thing i am the one whose gonna pay each and every penny for the car except for petrol / diesel so i think he must listen to me too a bit coz if we buy petrol it can be a car like OPTRA ELITE etc and if diesel it will be like fusion or fiesta 1.6 TDCi (not sure) or maybe SWIFT DDiS. Cant really pay a EMI for a 11 lac car as of now hehe.

And choice under ~ 7 lac for diesel are limited and even if i stretch it to 9 lac then i wont get ABS/ AIRBAGS in OPTRA MAGNUM which makes no sense at least to me coz my main preferences are (specially for DAD)

1. SAFETY
2. PERFORMANCE / COMFORT
3. FE

But oh well at the end its DAD decision, so i still trying to convince
Old 9th July 2007, 00:32   #47
BHPian

i guess magnum is better on a diesel if the FE is a lil low i dont think people would mind a lot
Old 9th July 2007, 01:04   #48
Team-BHP Support

I guess the poll results speak for itself now.
Old 9th July 2007, 01:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

the general consensus is that the older optra front end looked better...what sort of customer clinic did GM conduct??

chevy magnum any day. way better than buying a car that is obsolete in most markets and looks just that too..
Old 9th July 2007, 08:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

After having driven Magnum this is what I have to say :

Interiors :

Space : Its Magnum for leg room and Skoda for shoulder room, another sore part is that you have to actually lower yourself considerably to make entry into the rear passenger seat, Skoda's height is way better for that matter

Quality : Magnum looks loaded to brim , compared to Octavia but quality of material is bad and really cheap . Instrument cluster is not a patch of Oct's crystal clear no nonsense layout.

Driving it :

Initial impression is wwwwoooohaaa ! What I really liked about it is its smoothness , unlike the Skoda's unit that gets a bit coarse when revved hard . I couldnt feel the power lag at the lower RPM's. PArtly the reason can be coz I drive a car right now thats loaded with turbo lag . The way the speed climbes up is in, an easy controlled manner . Took it all the way to 160 , and It wasnt feeling as stable as Skoda but the brakes were spot on . It has just the right amount of bite .
Old 9th July 2007, 08:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Optra anyday.... Octi is a complete rip off before and after buying, even the latest and 'greatest' laura costs 11k's pounds in UK.
Octi, a 12 lakh car that doesnt even has a comfortable backseat, an optra top end model gives me a lot more for around 2 lakhs less and that includes better interiors and a whole lot better engine.
Old 9th July 2007, 15:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Optra anyday.... Octi is a complete rip off before and after buying, even the latest and 'greatest' laura costs 11k's pounds in UK.
Octi, a 12 lakh car that doesnt even has a comfortable backseat, an optra top end model gives me a lot more for around 2 lakhs less and that includes better interiors and a whole lot better engine.

REgarding interiors

If you are a perfectionist when it comes to quality and finish I think Skoda is better , and a person with space and back seat comfort as priority will find Magnum to be better .
Old 9th July 2007, 15:49   #53
BHPian

For me any day i would pick a hyundai elantra (even if its a second) for vfm.on the other hand magnum isnt that bad ...for the plus of skoda its been here for so many years and it looks a bit huge in size.(only looks) (its a symbol of status for some of the people who dont like the bill till merc-c class)
Old 9th July 2007, 15:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post

REgarding interiors
If you are a perfectionist when it comes to quality and finish I think Skoda is better , and a person with space and back seat comfort as priority will find Magnum to be better .
Agreed the fit and finish is better but they are dull, its a sea of grey. Optra's are a lot more lively even if slightly inferior in quality, but its a lot more car overall and cheaper by 2 lakhs.
Old 10th July 2007, 00:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinadha View Post
For me any day i would pick a hyundai elantra (even if its a second) for vfm.on the other hand magnum isnt that bad ...for the plus of skoda its been here for so many years and it looks a bit huge in size.(only looks) (its a symbol of status for some of the people who dont like the bill till merc-c class)
Well you write it wrong, the Skoda service bills are on par with the mercs i guess slightly less but still quite expensive for the segment, a Camry is cheaper to maintain then a S(k)oda
Old 10th July 2007, 21:58   #56
BHPian

i wanted to suggest many people whom i came across have got a feeling as if buying a skoda makes them nawabs,,,,one such is my friend
Old 10th July 2007, 22:57   #57
BHPian

Have voted for the magnum has better as seems to have better performance. Plus the serivce and warrnaty factor favours the Magnum.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

If only Laura's 1.9 was available on the Octy!
Old 11th July 2007, 02:56   #59
BHPian

magnum is more powerful than the laura
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2007, 09:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Magnum for me. Octy is outdated and expensive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks