Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2006, 12:55   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
1. More than the buyer, the seller needs to be cautious in selecting the person to whom the car is to be sold. If the seller is confident enough that the person, who is buying the car, is matured & doesn't trouble him after the completion of the sale, he can certainly sell it off to a friend. Since its a friend car, the buyer knows how good the seller is in maintaining & handling the car.
I guess its the last point seller considers while selling his car. Seller doesn't even think who is he selling the car to. And later he is bugged by the over-smart or dumb buyer. Whoever considers this prefers to sell his car to a dealer rather than third party as the dealer understands everything and doesn't bug after the deal, though he pays far lesser money than one individual could have paid.
Old 19th August 2006, 12:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
Ok. I dont understand this!

I've a Fiat Siena, has a little bit of gravel rash. What's the best way to clear it not that I shouldnt replace it?

Superavi
if u r planning on selling it in the near future, try to use it as it is, that way the buyer will know that the windshield is original & probably wont mind..anyways, the siena is not the car for resale values. so i would suggest u go ahead & change it.
Old 19th August 2006, 13:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Well I both agree & disagree. Agree to the point that they also do touch ups & a bit of tampering here & there irrespective of their claims of not doing all these. But their slight higher prices are justified becaue you get: New battery, Tires, 3 free services & 6 months warranty which in short gives you peace of mind for a 2nd hand car
@Techno,
just consider this
1. New Battery - Rs.2000/-
2. New Tyres - Rs.2000 (500 x 4), these are 2nd hand tyres. they look good but the rubber is very old.
3. 3 Free Services = Rs.750 x 3 = Rs.2250
4. 6 Months warranty = Priceless !!!!!
add all this & it comes to around 10k max.

what a true value guy does is this
get a 2002 Esteem for 2.0L, spend 10k (max), rewind the odo & sell it for 2.75L...

is this justified in any way ??
u could buy a new battery & change the tyres urself, according to ur choice, if u could get that car for 2.2 L

for all u know, the car could have
Old 19th August 2006, 14:32   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

EL, the term "warranty" can be misleading, w.r.t what's covered and what's not.
* When you say warranty, have you checked on what's covered?
* What about defects / problems that you may discover after you start using the car? While problems can surface even with cars bought from other sources, I am asking this question here because of the premium that one pays to buy from DSA.

Point is, pls dont take DSA's for granted. They do offer some extras, but we need to do our own checks before buying from a DSA also.
Old 21st August 2006, 12:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
@Techno,
just consider this
1. New Battery - Rs.2000/-
2. New Tyres - Rs.2000 (500 x 4), these are 2nd hand tyres. they look good but the rubber is very old.
3. 3 Free Services = Rs.750 x 3 = Rs.2250
4. 6 Months warranty = Priceless !!!!!
add all this & it comes to around 10k max.

what a true value guy does is this
get a 2002 Esteem for 2.0L, spend 10k (max), rewind the odo & sell it for 2.75L...

is this justified in any way ??
u could buy a new battery & change the tyres urself, according to ur choice, if u could get that car for 2.2 L

for all u know, the car could have
Yes you are correct but this still holds good for newbies i.e. first time buyers(The very reason why they go for DSAs ) & it saves them lotsa hassles. I will still say they are much better than those selling agents who are hard to find after the sale is done :|
Old 21st August 2006, 12:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Anyway, recently I had pretty good experience from small time broker/dealer. Of course, I was the seller, but still he agreed to most of my terms, including not signing blank papers, calling his customers to my place to check out the car, instead of leaving it at his place, helping in transfer and getting me transfer RC book / copy, policy, etc. for NCB. Maybe I got a bit less than if I had advt. (whether on rear windscreen or in classifieds), but it was max. offer otherwise I had got from word of mouth (and considerably more than DSA/automart) so I just closed the deal.

Funny thing I noticed, is that no prospective buyer/broker/dealer even took a test drive - all they checked was body inside/outside including bonnet/boot, AC, and started car for 2 min.
Old 21st August 2006, 13:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Anyway, recently I had pretty good experience from small time broker/dealer. Of course, I was the seller, but still he agreed to most of my terms, including not signing blank papers, calling his customers to my place to check out the car, instead of leaving it at his place, helping in transfer and getting me transfer RC book / copy, policy, etc. for NCB. Maybe I got a bit less than if I had advt. (whether on rear windscreen or in classifieds), but it was max. offer otherwise I had got from word of mouth (and considerably more than DSA/automart) so I just closed the deal.

Funny thing I noticed, is that no prospective buyer/broker/dealer even took a test drive - all they checked was body inside/outside including bonnet/boot, AC, and started car for 2 min.

u r right. there is always a honest few, who do their business with dignity & pride. i can think of one such dealer in Anna Nagar, Chennai. the deal is very transparent.
Old 21st August 2006, 13:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108

Quote:
Funny thing I noticed, is that no prospective buyer/broker/dealer even took a test drive - all they checked was body inside/outside including bonnet/boot, AC, and started car for 2 min
fantastic point made...i will give an example here folks.

while i was out hunting for an used esteem in July 2004, i had visited & wasted my time with practically all the dealers in chennai. Then i saw this beauty of a car in a dealers' in Anna Nagar, the honest guy. The moment i saw the car, i said thats mine. I asked for the price & he said 2.50L. it was a 2002 Nov brand new Lxi with imported alloys & low profile tubeless tyres, wooden steering, impeccable upholstery, scratchless, etc etc. I asked him how it is priced so less for such a new car. the odo read only14k kms (Not tampered). he was very frank & told me that the owner is a track racer & he uses the engine in this car for his racing uses. therefore he said no guarantee for the engine, it might conk up anytime. so he recomended that i dont buy it. so, with a heavy heart, i left. after a week, i saw the same car in Jains Car Shoppe (Known for selling only premium brand new used cars), but the wheels & tyres & steering was all changed & the originality restored. still looking brand new...whats the price ???? 3.75 lakhs ... holy mackerel!!!! who is the previous owner & why is he selling it ???? prompt came the reply..he is a software engineer & had to go abroad..!!!!!!.. someone would have bought it for 3.5l, iam sure.
@Technocrat ....I agree with you, techno, this is the one time i felt that it is good for a newbie to always go to DSAs, cos they do give 6 months warranty on engine & gearbox.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st August 2006 at 13:50.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Just to add; Most used car dealers offer 6 months warranty under conditions such as;

A) Warranty includes only Engine, Gearbox in mechanical parts.
B) Only Aprons, Chassis And Frame covered in Body warranty, specifically stating that at the time of sale these parts would not be damaged. Minor dents, body paint, etc. are not their responsibilty.
C) Suspension, Electricals, Rubber parts, including Tyres, Hoses, Bushings etc., Driveshafts, CV joints, Clutch, Brakes, A/C Refregirants are not covered under warranty.
D) Free services include only labour. Costs of parts like lubricants, and/or any other mechanical parts to be borne by cutomer.

Which means, its better to go to an independent broker and search for a good deal. The money that you might save by going direct to the seller is not negligible. Remember, the used car dealers are paying for their premises, air conditioning, test rides and sprucing up: from YOUR money. So bigger the dealer, higher the amount he's squeezing out of you...
Old 21st August 2006, 15:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
D) Free services include only labour. Costs of parts like lubricants, and/or any other mechanical parts to be borne by cutomer.
That happens with new car too isnt it ??

See DSAs are good for people who dont know minor details & are first time buyers. for knowledganble people anything from a direct seller to agent works just fine as they know what too look for in the car & how much should any minor repair might cost after purchse & negotiate accordingly
Old 21st August 2006, 17:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

@Technocrat :True.

As for the free services, in case of a new car, you don't have to pay for anything. DSA's make you pay for brake-fluid top-ups, hub-greasing, if required, etc.

For first timers, yes, DSA's are a good bet....but...very costly....
Old 21st August 2006, 17:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
@Technocrat :True.

As for the free services, in case of a new car, you don't have to pay for anything. DSA's make you pay for brake-fluid top-ups, hub-greasing, if required, etc.

For first timers, yes, DSA's are a good bet....but...very costly....
better still. the first timer could team up with a car owner & get his mechanic to approve of the vehicle before buying it.
Old 22nd August 2006, 07:01   #73
BANNED

Quote:
This is the same funny thing that I usually see in most of the 2nd hand dealers(except Truevalue). I'm wondering what they are learning by mere staring !!!

Off Topic : How can I find out if the suspension is damaged when taking a test-drive of a used car ?
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Off Topic : How can I find out if the suspension is damaged when taking a test-drive of a used car ?
1. Obvious noises on rough patches.
2. Watch out for creaking noises over bumps / speed breakers even at low speeds - indicates strut/shock damage/wear and tear.
3. Pulling to one side - indicates alignment problem - since not rectified would indicate suspension problem.
4. You also need to get somebody in a vehicle behind to observe the car when you drive it. If the car is tending to move sideways (crablike) it has been through major accident with it not being properly repaired with major problem in chassis not being 'true'.

Maybe others may give some more tips.
Old 22nd August 2006, 19:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
This is the same funny thing that I usually see in most of the 2nd hand dealers(except Truevalue). I'm wondering what they are learning by mere staring !!!

I knew a person in his sixtees in this business right from his younger ages.

He just switch on the car, leave it idle, walks round the car, steps on the acceleration pedal (ofcourse in neutral). And you know he covers major portion of the car. If he is satisfied, he goes for a small test drive & tells about the car.

My personal experience with him always worked well.

I had really wondered when he says about the changes (replace items) in exteriors just by merely looking the car
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks