Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2023, 12:56   #91

Re: 2023 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Driving 4th gen honda citty v MT. the car has all necessary features. For a person who wants to fill it , forget it, drive it, the city is best. I know personally 3 citys in my friends/family circle, All 1.5Na petrol, none of these were ever taken to the service centre for other than the routine service. If you want to have fun you need to work it. And if you are willing to revv it, It will reward you as well. Not may be everyone's cup of tea.
But for majority of people City is really well suited.
Arjun992 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 12:58   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_yank View Post
Apologies in advance for this rant like post but im a die hard Honda fan, and still own a 10+ year old Brio as well.

Have had Hondas in the family since the first gen in the 90s. have owned every generation besides OHC. this latest generation is the most disappointing. my review of my current city is a bit overdue and will cover in detail the cost cutting and rather stingy-ness which is very apparent in the latest gen.

To list a few glaring issues in my examples-
1. Exposed wires with no fabric sheathing in many places. people with rat infested garages beware.
2. Engine sounds rough at high RPMs and is way more audible inside thanks to very poor sound insulation.
3. under tyred as always but with the bigger size seems even more apparent when driven enthusiatically.
4. being a C2 segment which is the size that used to be the D segment without a Proper independant rear suspension (same for all in this segment) combined with the very soft setting inspires no confidence when driven at highway speeds.
5. still no rear disc brakes.
6. Absolutely potato quality of rear camera, does not even compare to OEM cameras from many budget brands from 10years ago.
7. infotainment is probably still the worst in segment.
8. Seat Belt does not go back in position since second month of ownership. have to coax it back. Multiple niggles in the first year of ownership. never had any in any previous honda products.

I switched back to the city for my father after a very eventful but very engaging ownership of a Vento TSI for about a 1,20,000kms. as long as im in the rear seats being driven by a chauffeur at city speeds its acceptable that too only in the hands of a competent driver as the CVT combo gets noisy.

the new city after my experience of about 90k kms in a 2011 VMT and further 1k kms in a 2020 ZX CVT leaves a lot to be desired. always had been a big fan of the L15b1 engine and used to look for swap options in my days owning the 2011 VMT but the state of tune and probably not the best intake solution its a big disappointment.

the only car i consider worthy of this segment at the moment is the Virtus, no experience with a Slavia (heard the suspension is softer) or the new Verna yet

TL/DR- New city not made like they used to. glaring cost cutting. tech seems extremely outdated already. Do not recommend for enthusiasts. would rather get a Virtus.

I purchased a Honda City ZX CVT petrol (non hybrid) and I agree with some of the comments made by you. I have owned two Honda City in the past and this is clearly the worst of the lot.

I see some of the below as really poor or annoying:

1. The engine is noisy is not fuel efficient. I rarely get mileage upward of 10 in city driving. Eco mode is actually worse, so after a couple of attempts did not bother to use it.
2. The auto head lamp is very irritating. In 38C heat in broad daylight it switches on the headlight if I come under the shade of a tree. Tried all settings but could not change this.
3. Reverse gear does not mute or reduce the audio sound. This is available even in i10.
4. The passenger seat cannot be height adjusted even manually. The position is quite low and my wife was very unhappy about her view.
5. The rear camera is quite cheap.
6. The infotainment many times does not connect on wireless Android Auto. As you said it is still very poor.
7. The boot when opened does not hold unless you push it firmly. It comes back and hits you, so be very careful.
8. The ADAS auto braking is too sensitive, it put off the passengers when it braked on seeing some intrusion, though I had steeered away.
9. Driver height adjustment should be automatic. 360 camera is a big miss.
10. The engine on cold start sounds like a diesel. The NVH levels are quite poor.
11. Auto AC does not bring down the fan speed for a long time. The fan as with any other car makes a lot of noise. My i10 is far better.
12. The brake light on the tail light is too small. I am worried about somebody hitting me. They should have swapped the night warning light from the brake light.

Now there are somethings I do like:

1. The engine is refined (except for the noise).
2. The rear camera display in the infotainment can be turned on/off by pressing the outside knob on the indicator stick. I put this on without the indicator if I am not sure about the left side. Not sure why they did not do the same on the right side.
3. The rear seating comfort is the best.
4. Honda accessories are really good, I opted for most of it.
5. The front and rear bumper diffuser protector is very useful as it stops most of the small hits.

I dont think I will keep this for more than 2 years unlike my previous Hondas which were with me for at least 5 years.
shivaramanuma is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:49   #93
BHPian

Hello All,

After much deliberation, booking cancellations, procrastination and over thinking, I have booked an obsidian blue pearl Honda City V CVT through Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road, Bangalore. I made the booking on 15th of July and was told an estimated 1 month waiting period for the car with an assurance that they will try to source the car before that. I have got a message from my SA today that they have allotted a car and the same will reach the dealership in 10 days. They have shared the details of the car including the VIN number. The car is of June 2023 make and I verified the same by decoding the VIN number, which brings me to my query :

I have been allotted a June-2023 car when I made the booking on July. I'm not sure if this is a normal process and I'm not sure how they clear the stock in the factory. Should this be a concern, and should I get this clarified with the dealership or is this normal?

I would be really grateful if someone could clarify my query, thank you.

Regards,
SS
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 11:19   #94
BHPian

Are they offering any discounts on ZX-Hybrid model? What has been the experience with Honda dealers? I have experience with Hyundai dealers who can become desperate after a few interactions and one can negotiate hard. After a super hard negotiation, I got a solid 1 lakh cut (from nothing) on Elantra in 2014. My dad is negotiating hard on his Venue presently. But we have no idea about Honda dealers.

Anyways the car is considered expensive, and is now just being clobbered by SUVs and MPVs, and probably gets cannibalized by Elevate too.

What are my chances to bring it down to say a number around 24 lakhs or thereabouts? . It is close to 25.7L here in Hyderabad)

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 4th August 2023 at 11:21.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 20:26   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post

I have been allotted a June-2023 car when I made the booking on July. I'm not sure if this is a normal process and I'm not sure how they clear the stock in the factory. Should this be a concern, and should I get this clarified with the dealership or is this normal?

Regards,
SS
When I went to get my Jazz serviced, I was casually enquiring about City. At that time they had mentioned that they could deliver me ZX CVT in matter of few days as they had stock available in 2-3 different colors. I guess that would have been case with you as well, and they were just playing the hard game and see if someone else was ready to pay more than you at the same time and sell it of to them.
Old 7th August 2023, 13:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaramanuma View Post
I
3. Reverse gear does not mute or reduce the audio sound. This is available even in i10.
Check if there's an option in the infotainment unit to mute the audio while reversing. My jazz has this option.
Old 15th August 2023, 00:59   #97
BHPian

5000 kms/2nd Service Update:

I have done about 3000kms in the last 40 days and the City has put a smile on my file atleast once in 10kms. The ease of overtaking in City traffic at low end and the downshift overtaking at top end on the Highways is the performance that I was expecting from this car. It just flies to 70km/hr in a couple seconds and a couple seconds more, you're back doing 100km/hr.

This is my first car and I have done a solo trip with her from Chikmagalur to Bengaluru. I droe sedately for the most part but I admit going bonkers once in a while to pump us up. I had driven my friends Virtus Highline AT for about 270kms and I have to say Virtus was so easy to drive and felt more sturdier overall.

But what I felt missing in the Virtus is the sporty engine. I mean Virtus is equally faster but it's effortless and doesn't have that sporty note to it. I am happy to have gone with the City especially because of the 18km/lit+ mileage when driven sedately. My overall mileage of the car is about 14.4 km/lit after 5000kms which includes 3k on the Highway and 2k in the City.

I manually calculated the cost of fuel from Hyderabad to Bengaluru and was around 6rs/km or 18km/lit. I have got Ceramic done at Dakshin Honda for 24k and 3 years warranty. Dakshin Honda has been really good, especially the guys at the Bodyshop are excellent workers.

A happy man I am.
broke_enthu27 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 16:42   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeter View Post
When I went to get my Jazz serviced, I was casually enquiring about City. At that time they had mentioned that they could deliver me ZX CVT in matter of few days as they had stock available in 2-3 different colors. I guess that would have been case with you as well, and they were just playing the hard game and see if someone else was ready to pay more than you at the same time and sell it of to them.
Thanks Schroeter for your reply, could be the case. Now this brings me to another query.

Upon the dealership maintaining radio silence on the dispatch status of the car and since their committed period of 10 days were over, I went ahead and checked with them personally to learn that they have been facing logistics delays due to heavy rains in the North. I'm not sure how much of that is true and where the cars are getting dispatched from. Upon sending a strongly worded response on the chat group, I got a call from the dealership manager who apologized profusely and he assured that the car will be in the dealership yard in the next 6-7 days. He also however was pushing me to pay upfront some money before even seeing the car in person citing weird reasons and informed me that they will refund that money if I didn't like the car after seeing it in person, so and so, which I didn't believe one bit. I politely turned it down and said I would rather see the car in person and then make the payment.

What I would like to know is :

1. Are they intentionally stalling the whole process to get the down-payment money?
2. Should I bite the bullet by paying some part of the down-payment amount or stick to my words and make the payment only after seeing the car in flesh? In the scenario that I make the payment, is it refundable as they are claiming it? Because AFAIK, only booking amount is fully refundable.
3. In case, they are unable to stick onto their commitment by the end of this week, should I cancel the booking and move on to a different vehicle?

Appreciate it if I can get some clarity over my queries, thank you
Old 15th August 2023, 17:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Should I bite the bullet by paying some part of the down-payment amount or stick to my words and make the payment only after seeing the car in flesh? In the scenario that I make the payment, is it refundable as they are claiming it? Because AFAIK, only booking amount is fully refundable.
3. In case, they are unable to stick onto their commitment by the end of this week, should I cancel the booking and move on to a different vehicle?
Firstly,
1. How urgent is your need? Do you need the car urgently or can you wait a few days/weeks to play back with them?
2. Are they only dealer in your city? How about making the dealer compete with another Honda dealer from nearby?

Regarding your query:
2. The more money you park with them, the more confident they’ll get in dealing with you. Try not to give them this leverage where they start taking things for granted. If you decide to concede to their demand of more money, ask for their commitment of this being “100% refundable without cancellation charges of any kind” in writing. If they are honest, they wont hesitate giving this in writing.
3. Again depends upon your requirements and your choices. If a delivery date gets extended, be patient and stick with what you love. A bit of delay is nothing compared to the ownership experience over many years.

Recommendation:
If there are two dealers in your city, visit the other dealer and enquire about the variant and colour of your choice. Tell them that you already have a booking with xyz dealer but are ready for delivery and hence exploring your options for faster delivery. Once they tell you a tentative timeline, either get the car from this second dealer or alternatively, visit the first dealer and convey that you wish to cancel the booking and go with the other dealer who is offering you the car on time (go back to first dealer in case the first dealer is giving better offer or if you are still more comfortable with the first dealer as they are more reputed than others in your area). If the first dealer is playing games, they will surely offer you the car on time.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 17:51   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Schroeter for your reply, could be the case. Now this brings me to another query.

Appreciate it if I can get some clarity over my queries, thank you
This is a car that’s running a fairly high discount level and there are offers being run directly by the OEM. This indicates inventory levels are high in the system.

Dealers should have ready stock in hand and this delay to get a car doesn’t make sense, especially if it’s already a June manufactured car.

I would advise walking away from this dealer. Tell them this intention to see if it changes their tune. If you have the time, you can meet the General Manager at the dealer before taking the final decision.

As a rule, money (over the booking amount) should be handed over only after the PDI is to your satisfaction.
mayjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 21:20   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Firstly,
1. How urgent is your need? Do you need the car urgently or can you wait a few days/weeks to play back with them?
2. Are they only dealer in your city? How about making the dealer compete with another Honda dealer from nearby?
Hi PaddleShifter,

First of all, heartfelt thanks for your prompt reply. Please find the answers to your questions below :

1. Not so urgent to the point that I desperately need a car right away. I can wait if required to play it out with them.
2. So there are couple of dealers in Bangalore other than the one I booked. I have made formal enquiries with one of them earlier. The only downer is that these dealerships are far away by Bengaluru standards, if at all the scenario arises where I'm cancelling the current booking and going with one of them as visiting them would require a whole bloody day . As for the competency aspect, I certainly can do so.

One concern (albeit a noob one may be) that I have is regarding the loan, appreciate it if I can get clarity on that as well. So the loan got approved and is currently on standby for disbursement.

a) In the event of me going for another Honda dealer, would there be an issue with the amount transfer since I applied for the loan through the first dealer?
b) In the event of me going for a different car altogether, would there be an issue with the loan disbursement / would I have to get the loan re-processed?

PS : I cancelled my booking on a Kia Sonet Petrol for the City, I'm sincerely hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a bad decision in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
This is a car that’s running a fairly high discount level and there are offers being run directly by the OEM. This indicates inventory levels are high in the system.

As a rule, money (over the booking amount) should be handed over only after the PDI is to your satisfaction.
Thank you mayjay for your reply, this is something that baffled me too. They had the Grey and Silver cars readily available, however I wanted the Obsidian Blue color which was not on stock. Now that you say it, I could feel that their approach doesn't seem very honest or straight forward. I will see how this pans out.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th August 2023 at 21:59. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 22:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. So there are couple of dealers in Bangalore other than the one I booked. I have made formal enquiries with one of them earlier. The only downer is that these dealerships are far away by Bengaluru standards, if at all the scenario arises where I'm cancelling the current booking and going with one of them as visiting them would require a whole bloody day . As for the competency aspect, I certainly can do so.
Do not worry about the distance. Also, sales and service teams are totally different. A majority profit for a mass market car brand dealership lies in the service so you can get the car serviced here anyway. Purchase distance is a one time effort.

Quote:
a) In the event of me going for another Honda dealer, would there be an issue with the amount transfer since I applied for the loan through the first dealer?
I have never taken car loan in my name yet as the only sub-10lacs car I have bought myself was purchased using my savings and with the help of family members during the first lockdown. As far as I remember from my previous (and my first) car purchase in 2010 in which my father took a bank loan as I was not eligible for a car loan, the car loan was given by the bank in the name of a specific dealership whose quotation etc. had been attached in the documentation during processing.

Quote:
b) In the event of me going for a different car altogether, would there be an issue with the loan disbursement / would I have to get the loan re-processed?
I believe that if you wish to change the dealership, you will have to replace the documents (quotation etc.) taken from the new dealership. The bank will also have to re-issue the DD in the name of the new dealership. Will replacing the documents be enough or will the bank re-process the loan entirely to issue a new DD needs to be clarified with the bank.

Quote:
PS : I cancelled my booking on a Kia Sonet Petrol for the City, I'm sincerely hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a bad decision in the end.
I drive Kia Sonet t-GDi HTK+ iMT every week (my colleague has it). Its a good product but trust me when I say that it does not stand shoulder to shoulder with the City. It does have its advantages w.r.t. the higher seating and more ground clearance though.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 16:22   #103

I bought city in nov. 22. My daily office run is only around 10 kilometers , but weekend runnings have ensured that I clock 1500 kms monthly.
ODO now stands at 13.5K and tyres are already past their half life. I own V variant with MRF 15"tyres. How has your experience been regarding tyre life?
I have also heard somewhere that stock tyres provided by dealerships are of inferior quality to market and hence run less. How true is this?
Old 21st August 2023, 22:55   #104
BHPian

Dear Paddleshifter,

Much appreciated for taking your time out and replying to my queries patiently. I finally received a call today from my Sales Executive that the car would reach Bengaluru today and I could go verify the car in person anytime this week. I have not given a single penny extra other than the booking amount. If all goes well, I should be having the car with me in a week or two's time. Let's see how it goes.

Now, Time to arm the Team BHP checklist and head for a PDI...
Old 6th September 2023, 02:12   #105
BHPian

is there a probability of any new Honda city coming to India in the near future and there are several videos online showing upcoming Honda Accord as Honda city.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
jacobsam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks