Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 07:10   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
IS verna worth the price Hyundai is asking for it ?I personally feel that the car is over rated and not that cheap , because for 1 lakh more I find the elantra a much better bargain and also the magnum at 1.5 lakhs more makes a much more lot of sense to buy . Also I do not see that much of sales happening .Is the verna worth thinking of ?
I definitely don't think so. All cars are heavily overpriced in India. A Verna/Fiesta/SX4 for 8.5 lakhs is ridiculous. For that kind of money, in the US, you get a Civic or even a low end Accord. The manufacturers just blame the sales tax, but face it, they are ripping us off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I buy only Diesel cars not because my running is much. Its only because it gives me mental comfort while going for drives or leaving the car & A/C switched on while waiting even in excess of 15mins.
Think of the environment and global warming. There's no justification to having your engine on if you're waiting for more than 2-3 minutes
Old 21st July 2007, 09:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Think of the environment and global warming. There's no justification to having your engine on if you're waiting for more than 2-3 minutes
There is, trying switching off your engine in Delhi's/other hot regions peak summers and in waiting traffic and your wife can have you as baked chicken for lunch/dinner.

PS: This year it was 44 degrees peak in Delhi.
Old 21st July 2007, 14:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
A swift diesel sedan? what is the source of your info? AFAIK, maruti/khattar has always laughed off the idea of a swift sedan. and what about this most refined diesel engine thing? are you suggesting that it will have a different engine from the current 1.3 MJD?
Maruti is going to phase out Esteem and replacement is Swift Sedan and that too with option of Diesel Engine... just wait and watch Jan 2008

Engine will be the same as they are using in current Swift Diesel and everyone know about the performance of that engine......best in its class
Old 21st July 2007, 21:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Right. Almost all cars are highly priced in India. But if you really look at it almost all of them have their own takers and depending on individual needs we dont have much options. Thats why ford still manages to sell its fiesta even though we all know their "Attitude" towards customers. Adn we indians would just want to get some offer and would just fall for it. We all saw how metro ford dealt with one of our members car. Still i see people willing to deal with metro ford just coz they are giving out better offers.

MAruti sells its Swift Diesel at a real high price for what it has in it. But we still wait for months at whole so as to get it since they claim it gives good mileage. Maybe it worth it after all its individual choice.

Hyundai would use plastics to make the body of the car too if they could. Common man have you seen the their cars. Its full of Plastics and more plastics!!! Here too maybe its worth. Maybe its individual choice.

No point comparing prices. We dont have much choices out here. Any one can price its product as he wishes if it has a real "selling proposition" to lure customers. No point feeling we are being cheated. Its individual choice and we are ready to PAY!!!
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmundu View Post
Maruti is going to phase out Esteem and replacement is Swift Sedan and that too with option of Diesel Engine... just wait and watch Jan 2008

Engine will be the same as they are using in current Swift Diesel and everyone know about the performance of that engine......best in its class
So is there a swift diesel sedan this jan 2008. any picturesssssssssssss please waiting for this one...
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

yes indeed verna is overpriced,but then you should feel the same about fiesta and the aveo.well actually in the later stages fiesta and the verna are likely to replace the ikon and the accent,hence the prices are likly to come down.if these two cars become cheaper, aveo prices are bound to come down.
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

IMHO most cars C segments onwards are overpriced. The Civic costs around 11 lacs where as it goes for around $17000 in the US . Even taking the custom duties into consideration that works out close to $ 28000 what a C Class Merc would cost you in the US.

The low volumes in these segments along with the conservative attitude of the compnies is responsible for this. It almost seems that the companies like Ford, Mahindra Renault and Hyundai are afraid to sell more and happy at selling a few thousand cars a month.

It is only the home grown companies like Maruti and Tata who are taking some initiative. The New Tata IndiXX series and the Fiat Grande Punto and Linea, Skoda Fabia, Aveo Diesel, Honda Jazz, the new Toyota comact car,the new VW and Nissan offerings should see some jostling for market share and efforts on part of the manufacturers to utilize the production capacity of their plants. Companies that fail to take the initiative would definitely lose out.

Toyota, Honda and Nissan, GM, Fiat and Ford have already signalled their intentions to up their sales significantly and increase marketshare.

This will be a situation similar to the one that happened when the Indica, santro and the Matiz transformed the small car market in the late 1990's.

It will be blood on the street for some manufacturers and the customers will hopefully get more bang for their buck
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:47   #38
BHPian

Just compare specs and prices of Accent CRDi with Verna CRDi. I think Verna is VFM. When I bought it it was selling at a price difference of around 20,000 from Accent CRDi. But the built quality, engine refinement are way ahead of Accent
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There is, trying switching off your engine in Delhi's/other hot regions peak summers and in waiting traffic and your wife can have you as baked chicken for lunch/dinner.

PS: This year it was 44 degrees peak in Delhi.
Definitely, I'm with you that in our climate, it may not be possible to switch off the engine at each signal, in fact it may not even be the most efficient way.

However, I still maintain that there's no justification for having the engine running for 15 minutes while standing still. That's just a waste of fuel, something our country and the whole world can ill afford.
Old 29th July 2007, 00:27   #40
BHPian

Guys, the Verna is priced 6.3 lakhs for the top end in US, i want to know why such a huge difference in INDIA...
Old 29th July 2007, 22:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

The carmakers blame the government for heavy duties it imposes. However if they think big and price the products aggressively they will have the volumes to justify localisation of parts which will result in lower costs. But other than Tata and to an exten Maruti the others simply do not want to step into the deep end of the pool.
Old 5th October 2007, 01:58   #42
BANNED

Hello guys dont forget that tata and maruti are the local manufacturers and they get the benefit in tax relaxation and the parts they import for their vehicals are the cheeper one they dont import engines like hyundai. U can also take into account when maruti discontinued their diesel zen from the market inspite of the fact their were numerous buyers in north and down south where diesels r quite popular but maruti was paying a hefty price for that Peugeot engine which off course gave good mileage but was far behind in performance and noise ,vibration levels. so thats the reason they have set their own plant in manesar to produce better and price effective engines though by paying royalty. thats why tatas and maruti beats others in cost. then u know our governments they charge these foreign firms much heavily for others reasons than the local players. And when u say of US prices its because they r developed nations their govts. don't treat anything lesser then the best for their citizens and each and every person there pay their taxes honestly and in turn they enjoy the nicest prices and stable economy. and their is huge diff. in taxation laws of us and India. so unless and until we people will become honest towards our country and pay our taxes ,understand our duties towards our country these people will always try to cheat us as they already know we Indians are the biggest cheaters. So the main problem lies in us not these companies. so we should try to improve ourself and we will see everything else will start falling in place
Old 8th October 2007, 10:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Hello guys dont forget that tata and maruti are the local manufacturers and they get the benefit in tax relaxation and the parts they import for their vehicals are the cheeper one they dont import engines like hyundai.
I was about to say this thing about tax relaxation and when i scrolled down I saw your post and you had already written about this point.

that's why verna is a bit over priced as the engine is imported directly from Korea i guess. Still the car was too costly. so, to compensate it they had reduced the plastic quality in some parts and not providing alloys etc. thats the only reason i guess. else Accent GLS have good plastic quality if compared to Verna VGT.
Old 9th October 2007, 22:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
Guys, the Verna is priced 6.3 lakhs for the top end in US, i want to know why such a huge difference in INDIA...

Considering the present excise rates of 24% , that itself takes the car from 6.3 to 7.8.

IMO, the huge difference in prices of cars abroad and here has to be attributed more to the huge taxes that are imposed here, compared to other countries.

Considering that we are a poor country, IMO the high taxes are somewhat justified.
Old 10th October 2007, 00:07   #45
BHPian

even i think verna that for 9L something , verna wasnt big enough a car and even the interiors did not gave a feeling of 9L+ car, though the performance was good, somehow didnt feel it was VFM, that is why personally went in for optra magnum (LS variant)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks