Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want SKODA to relaunch the Octavia ?
No 61 11.55%
Yes 467 88.45%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 07:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
More than the lack of diesel engine, the lack of a sunroof killed the car. This was a glaring omission as the outgoing generation had one .
Let us get real. Indians, particularly in the C and D segments, love their big sunroofs, big touchscreens, beige interiors and low running costs ('kitna deti hai?'). Tata Hexa and Nissan Kicks were classic examples. Tata Hexa was launched without a sunroof, a 5" touch screen and black interiors (when XUV500 had a sunroof, 7" touchscreen and beige interiors) and it floped. Nissan Kicks didn't have a diesel engine and a sunroof (when Creta had both) and it was a disaster.

The omission of a sunroof where there was already a lack of diesel engine was a very costly mistake for Octavia, particularly with the lower priced sibling Slavia having one.

I was a little curious as to why this Octavia never got a sunroof, even in Europe where it has a decent sales record, there is no sunroof option. Was there some sort of a better crash test rating they were going after? I know many european cars with sunroof get high crash ratings as well, but i cannot see any other explanation.

I’m not a big fan of the sunroof in any case and if I had an option I would have given this feature a miss, but if you want a well kitted car, then sunroof comes by default. In my 6 month old Jeep Compass, i would have probably opened the sunroof 10-12 times.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 09:07   #47
BHPian

I currently have my 2012 Punto, and had my sights on Octavia as the next upgrade.

I wanted to get it before it got discontinued, but finances weren’t making sense right now. Would have bought it an year or so later.

Will now wait for the new Octavia, not particularly thrilled about the PHEV to be honest. If the new Octavia doesn’t click, a pre owned Superb/Octavia might make more sense.

Let’s see what Skoda would have on offer in an year from now.
Old 5th April 2023, 11:06   #48
BHPian

As sad as the discontinuation is, it was imminent the day the car was launched at such exorbitant pricing. Skoda decided to price it like a Superb Lite rather than an independent Octavia. This led to a lot of buyers jumping the fence and going for its bigger sibling. The Superb offers both driving pleasure and back seat comfort at a marginally higher price. Had the price been cheaper by 4-5 lakhs at launch, things could have been vastly different. And I believe Skoda would have priced this cheaper had the 2.0 models not been in the pipeline. It would have been ideal if the 2.0 models stuck to the Rapid price bracket but alas, that never happened.

That being said, this was perhaps the most short-lived generation of the Octavia to have been launched in India. In my opinion, it is just unfair to discontinue a car that helped Skoda become the brand it is today. RIP legend!
umairalvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 12:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I was a little curious as to why this Octavia never got a sunroof, even in Europe where it has a decent sales record, there is no sunroof option.
The sunroof is only available in the Combi (estate) as part of a feature package which also included some others like ventilated seats IIRC.
Old 5th April 2023, 13:03   #50
BANNED

I'm saddened to share the news that Skoda has officially discontinued the Octavia in India. The iconic sedan has been a favorite among car enthusiasts and buyers for over two decades, and it's disappointing to see it go.

The Octavia has been known for its spaciousness, comfort, and premium features, along with its impressive performance and handling. It has been a popular choice for families and executives alike, and many enthusiasts have modified and customized their Octavias to suit their tastes.

While it's unfortunate that Skoda has decided to discontinue the Octavia, it's important to remember that the automotive market is always evolving, and manufacturers need to adapt to changing demands and trends. It's possible that Skoda may introduce a new sedan model in the future that could fill the void left by the Octavia.

In the meantime, for those who still cherish their Octavias, let's continue to appreciate and celebrate this iconic sedan. And for those who were planning to buy one, there are still some units available in the market, so you may want to act fast.

What are your thoughts and memories of the Skoda Octavia? Do you think Skoda made the right decision in discontinuing it? Let's discuss and pay tribute to this legendary car.
Old 5th April 2023, 19:43   #51
BHPian

I own a 2013 model 1.8TSi Octy. It's been 10 years of ownership. Seeing it and driving it still puts the proverbial smile on my face. The vehicle has aged rather well and is still a very handsome car.
It is a fun to drive car (full disclosure: I am not an adventurous driver, I guess most modern cars are more capable that me!). Have done about 80K km so far with several long trips. It's been the family car all these years. Very practical too-many many airport drives, kids to hostels type trips as well.
Had 2 major DSG issues and the mechatronic was replaced twice - once under warranty and the 2nd time under some goodwill discount.
However, the vehicle is showing its age-the ac vents are all broken, the rubber beadings are deteriorating and such. But mechanically sound, no rattles, no rust...Spares such as AC vents are inordinately expensive. Some other ancillaries will come up for major work in the near future.

It was a truly complete car at a lovely price point at that time. There was NO competition. A beautiful balance between a "want and need", the "heart and the mind".

However, prices have kept heading north. The current model was almost 50% more expensive than in 2013. So the "balance", I think is lost. Vehicles such as Kushaq and Salvia have grabbed that moniker.

Not sure how long I can continue to maintain this lovely car.

Another question: how is the petrol going to E20% going to effect this TSi engine?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-octy-.jpg  

docsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 19:53   #52
BHPian

Just a light-hearted suggestion to VW-Skoda twins. Launch a 2-litre variant of the Virtus/Slavia as Jetta/Octavia editions ala Maybach variant of S-Class. Skoda has the L&K trim for this purpose, but just want to see a 2000cc petrol/diesel variants with all-wheel disc brakes, 8 airbags and with/without ADAS.
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 21:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post

Such presence on the porch would now be a rarity. Glad to own one of these beautiful machines.
Attachment 2436963
Sedans do have that stately elegance that the unchi gaadi crossover can never match. Very sad to see the classy sedans leave us.

I yet dont fully understand why do most folks prefer crossover's, especially the ones that are just large hatchbacks.
SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 21:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever good or bad name Skoda has earned post its entry into India was due to the Octavia that it had launched as its first sedan in India as a carmaker. The new RDE or real driving emission norms (BS VI - 2) appears to have devoured the mighty Octavia as its prey. VW has already tasted the bitter medicine with its cheat software and may now for a long time not indulge in such gimmicks.

The Octavia as a car was too solidly built and almost none of the sedans in its class could match its build quality. Sadly, the management was hand in glove with a majority of the Skoda dealers to bring this car a bad name. It never sold too well and was underrated. The car's resale value in the used market has never been its strong point as a result. The Fabia was a hatch Skoda offered alongside the Octavia some years later but it never set the sales charts afire.

The Czech tag of the pre iron curtain era took too long for Skoda to shed even post its takeover by VW. While in Germany about 22 years ago, very few Skodas were sighted by me on the roads. It's model range was not as wide as its parent VW. But at the same time, the Skoda Octavia was tagged as a rich man's car here in India.

The Octavia will be sadly missed. It was placed second in line after the flagship Superb in its sedan lineup by Skoda lately. Octavia fans however wish that the sedan comes back as the votes here too indicate.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th April 2023 at 21:56.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:15   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Granted the market is shrinking, and a mass market Octavia may not make sense with the new engine pushing prices upwards.
However, I feel Skoda should take the opportunity to launch the vRS version at least as a halo product. There is a huge gap currently in the market thanks to the discontinuation of the RWB 330i and previous gen vRS; which is Skoda's for the grabbing!
Old 6th April 2023, 15:45   #56
d.j
BHPian

Voted yes, it's a good car. They definitely should bring it back, I don’t see anyone else prepared, like stop - go time to do so, if they won’t, someone else will pick that space. Same time it’s not value for luxury, or value for money proposition, it’s a midway car for something further you desire for but do not wish to spend or defer it until our roads are good for those cars.

Problem is Skoda still doesn’t understand their target customer, we bought an Octavia last week, the dealer (Kandivali Mumbai) wasn’t up to the mark, the car got delivered to us but not in showroom condition - it had polish marks on the windshield and interiors, stickers done hallway, soot kind particles on the back seat, it’s annoying, completely unprofessional for them to do so. payment to delivery experience too will just do grace marks, silly and stupid stuff.

All said, I am migrating from Tiguan TDI to Octavia as my daily drive and will resume back shortly with my experience about it.

Regards/DJ
Old 6th April 2023, 20:30   #57

can confirm. our family has a Kodiaq on order and while everything is set, we're still awaiting RTO design approval for the new Audi powertrain combo, without which there's no registering the car. while Skoda haven't officially said so yet, the RDE cars are here.
shreyasmudumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 14:36   #58
BHPian

Hi

Was at a Skoda showroom for test driving the Slavia 1.5 DSG and saw a family take delivery of a Superb . The SA confirmed these are the last few units of the current batch.

However his Team lead told me they have heard that both Octavia and Superb will be back in a few months with 1.5 TSI EVO engine and a price cut to bridge the gap with current Slavia top end.

Has anyone else heard something to this effect?
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 15:56   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
However his Team lead told me they have heard that both Octavia and Superb will be back in a few months with 1.5 TSI EVO engine and a price cut to bridge the gap with current Slavia top end.
My hunch is they will bring both back in the iV guise in 1.4TSI hybrid combo. Very very unlikely they will give either the 1.5TSI petrol standalone one.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:12   #60
BHPian

With news of Skoda Superb to be relaunched with RDE compliant engine, Skoda should consider using the same engine in Octavia and relaunch the car. It is such a compelling car that other than the engine, it really does not require much updates. Hope Mr. Piyush Arora, CEO Skoda is reading this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks