Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want SKODA to relaunch the Octavia ?
No 61 11.55%
Yes 467 88.45%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia

SKODA has officially discontinued the Octavia. The Octavia was launched in 2021 June which was a replacement to its predecessor.

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-ac6ec35fcacc432fb09437576db6f61b.jpeg

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-842b80a0d6c94f75bac97d4df4656421.jpeg

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-f05dfc3c157c4614adfcfbfc3ce5179c.jpeg

The car has been removed from the website of SKODA India. It’s truly sad to see good cars getting discontinued because of emission norms. Whoever bought the Octavia are super lucky. We can expect it’s big brother Superb, to be discontinued soon too.
MotorDev is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:47   #2
BHPian

re: Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia

I feel bad that this had to be discontinued due to low sales and introduction of BS 6.2 norms and equally happy to own one in March 23 before it got discontinued. This is one dream machine to own and it never lets you down when it comes to having fun on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-img_20230403_174529.jpg  

LONG_TOURER is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:57   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia

The Octavia is the ultimate value-luxury car. Sad to see it go, and even more sad that VW-Skoda didn't make it BS62 RDE compliant (or its wonderful 2.0L diesel engine).

We had broken the story on this last year, and a few didn't believe it - link (Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023).

The D2-sedan segment is officially dead. Corolla, Civic, Octavia, Elantra are all RIP. One bad guy murdered them all, his name is = Mr. Crossover.
GTO is offline   (90) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well what do Honda and Skoda have in common ? "Da" approach to the Indian market.
The same thought was echoed by members in the original link which GTO mentioned so just echoing the sentiments of our community if I may.

Sad to see the other exciting sedan I admired and dreamt of along with the Civic. Only remnants are the 1.5 TSi - DSG and the 1.5 iVTEC - MT as a last reminder of an era gone by and not as it was supposed to go.

Adieu Octavia.

PS : Somehow post writing this "Boulevard of broken dreams" keeps playing in my head. I guess Skoda would share the same.

Last edited by shancz : 3rd April 2023 at 18:18. Reason: added ps
shancz is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Circa 2012 - the year after XUV5OO arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Here come the VFM Monocoque SUVs!

Never in the history of the Indian car market has a Rs. 15 lakh SUV sold 3,000 units monthly, still enjoying an order backlog. The market's fascination with SUVs has no limit, with the XUV500 currently leading the way. For the same price as a D1 sedan, the XUV offers you loads more space, a laundry list of gizmos, power and decent ride / handling. In our official review, we had predicted how the XUV500 will take customers away from the D1 sedan segment. Other manufacturers have taken notice, and there is a slew of monocoque SUVs in the pipeline. The Renault Duster & Ford EcoSport launches are just around the corner.
Thread title - The Diminishing Value of D1 Segment Sedans (Altis, Cruze, Civic, Laura et al)

History repeats.
Kosfactor is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty sure both will be back in 2024 in hybrid PHEV form . Superb maybe in the entirely new 2024 avatar.
itwasntme is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Pretty sure both will be back in 2024 in hybrid PHEV form . Superb maybe in the entirely new 2024 avatar.
Eagerly looking forward to both cars being reintroduced, along with the next gen Kodiaq. Like it or not, Slavia and Kushaq are not true blue Skodas, just like Amaze is not a proper Honda. The real experience of the brand was always between Octavia, Superb and Kodiaq. All three of them are special cars.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:15   #8
BHPian

Wow, there is currently no option in the D1 segment if you want a sedan. As others have said above, it's a lovely car with a bomb of an engine, sad to see it follow in the footsteps of so many others (Civic, Elantra, Corolla).
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Wow, there is currently no option in the D1 segment if you want a sedan. As others have said above, it's a lovely car with a bomb of an engine, sad to see it follow in the footsteps of so many others (Civic, Elantra, Corolla).
I wish we could go back to 2000 - 2019 time to experience premium sedans once again . Sadly that cannot happen. Octavia was a brilliant car but low sales hit it hard along with emission norms.
MotorDev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 22:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see Octavia being discontinued. Lucky are the ones who did not sit in the fence and went ahead with the purchase.
7 years in to my MK3 Octavia diesel (Stage 1), I am not finding a single car under 60 lakhs OTR Bangalore that can match Octavia, forget beating it. Dilemma is whether to replace it in a year with 330Li or keep Octavia for couple of more years. As much as I have the new car itch, do not find the money that I need to spend extra justify it. That good is Octavia, Period.
sunikkat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 22:53   #11
BHPian

Bye bye pure ICE Octavias.
Octavia has been a synonym for All the car you'll ever need.

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-20230403_224720.jpg

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-20230403_224953.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th April 2023 at 05:02. Reason: Attachments fixed
pratyush369 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 23:28   #12
BHPian

The Octavia. It is the reason behind the success of Skoda as a brand in India. It is the car that probably gave Indians a taste of German engineering. The Octavia is — ahem — was possibly the textbook definition of value luxury. The class, the space, the chassis, the powertrains, all were absolutely top notch. Alas, the Octavia is now history. The best we can do is to hope and pray that it makes a return. Till then, you will be etched in the heart of every motorhead, dear Octy.

We will miss you.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 23:36   #13
BHPian

I really wish Skoda gives one last shot with Octavia + 1.5 tsi. It might be slightly under powered but if VW group can invest in localizing 1.5tsi and Octavia, to offer at better price, I'm confident that it will sell crazily. There is no decent sedan upgrade for all Verna, City, Slavia\Virtus, Rapid users which doesnt break the bank.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 06:34   #14
BHPian

More than the lack of diesel engine, the lack of a sunroof killed the car. This was a glaring omission as the outgoing generation had one .
Let us get real. Indians, particularly in the C and D segments, love their big sunroofs, big touchscreens, beige interiors and low running costs ('kitna deti hai?'). Tata Hexa and Nissan Kicks were classic examples. Tata Hexa was launched without a sunroof, a 5" touch screen and black interiors (when XUV500 had a sunroof, 7" touchscreen and beige interiors) and it floped. Nissan Kicks didn't have a diesel engine and a sunroof (when Creta had both) and it was a disaster.

The omission of a sunroof where there was already a lack of diesel engine was a very costly mistake for Octavia, particularly with the lower priced sibling Slavia having one.
Geta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 06:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
More than the lack of diesel engine, the lack of a sunroof killed the car. This was a glaring omission as the outgoing generation had one
Disagree. The Octavia was the intermediate " Merc/ Audi/ BMW" sedan for those who couldnt stretch past 30 lacs. Most owners would be chauffeur driven. I dont think they needed a sunroof to make the car popular. It was legendary as it is. The powerful engine, excellent high speed ride, cabin space , massive boot and overall build quality were the main draw. I I wouldnt care a fig about a sunroof in such a car.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th April 2023 at 07:02.
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks