Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 03:36   #46
BHPian

Re: April 2023 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
It's pretty sad to see Jeep's performance over the last few months. I know MG Kia have many more features at lower price point, but lack the driving dynamics and comfort. Sadly these are not selection criteria among Indian buyers.
We really cannot blame Indian consumers for Compass not selling in good numbers. Compass is well specked out from Sport Variant itself but it is a bit overpriced for what it offers, won’t you agree?

Further Hector is not Jeep’s concern. I mean people who are buying a Hector wouldn’t have been sold on Compass’s proposition anyway. In 20-30 lac segment XUV 700, Harrier and ScorpioN are eating compass’s sale and now you have Tucson in 30+ segment.

Today if you were to buy Compass then at 25 lacs on road you are getting a 4 seater’s base model when people have proper 5 seaters like Harrier and XUV 700 available.
Jeep has constantly increased price of Compass and basis what? Are we paying the “Jeep Premium” ?

As an enthusiast I can totally relate with you when you say that Compass is a better driver’s car than XUV or Harrier but here’s the thing the other two aren’t half bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanto View Post
XUV 700 5 seater + 7 seater = 4757
Hector + Hector Plus = 3103
Harrier + Safari = 2783 + 2029 = 4812

Am I reading it right? Tata, without any significant changes to the car, after 4 years, is still selling more than the XUV 700? I understand Mahindra had production constraints, but even a year and a half after launch, are they still not able to sort out the production?
Mahindra can be partly thanked for those Harrier/Safari sales figure. Many customers didn’t see the appeal behind waiting for a prolonged period for their car when TATA is willing to provide them an equally capable SUV within 4-6 weeks.

The variant distribution is a bit off with XUV as well. For eg in 25 lacs you get AX 5 Diesel Automatic which lacks few features which are expected at this price point but then you have Harrier XZA which lacks a sunroof but is loaded when compared to AX5, add to that discounts on offer. So you are getting a feature loaded variant of Harrier at a lesser price than XUV’s mid spec variant.

But in my opinion Harrier’s biggest advantage always has been its looks & road presence. Harrier has universally been praised for the way it looks and that’s half the battle won in India. Further TATA has regularly added a few minor updates here and there in their car to keep up with the market. That’s why it’s still doing well despite being 4 years old.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 14th May 2023 at 03:42.
BleueNinja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 08:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
Seeing MG now properly falling behind Kia is a bit surprising considering that they both entered the market at similar times, offer similar products with similar value propositions. Wonder what the reason for this is.
Until recently, I used to think MG shot themselves in the foot with their sales model - create a hype that they have booking backlog for a year (like they did when Astor was launched), while in reality manufacturing 1-2k units per month. My cousin gave up after 6 months waiting (booked at 2 dealers, both were equally clueless). Frustrated, he went full Desi and purchased a Nexon in 2 days flat. Paid up in full on the spot and the Tata dealer was more than happy to deliver an XZ+ dark edition the very next day. He used to send me the link to the T-BHP sales thread every month and used to say that the wait is artificial and MG is trying to do a flash sale with cars like the other Chinese companies do with phones. I think he was not alone and most people cancelled their bookings and moved to other brands. Astor is a really competent product that somehow got forgotten in our market.

After the news on MG trying to sell their stake to get some cash flow appeared on this forum (links below), I realised that may be they were cash strapped to ramp-up production/scale up their operations. This might be one of the reason.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...valuation.html (MG Motors funds from China are stuck | JSW Group might buy 15% stake instead at $2 billion valuation)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...bly-plant.html (MG Motor India's 5-year plan: Dilute shareholding, set up 2nd assembly plant)
furyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 17:35   #48

Looking at the sales numbers of Kia Carens V/s Alcazar. Any specific reasons why Carens does 3x of sales. Is price the only deciding factor here, I understand there is a different of 2 Lacs, given they both share almost the same hardware.
Old 15th May 2023, 13:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
I have a Jeep Compass and was hoping to upgrade to the Meridian in a few years, now I need to aspire for another brand.
Jeep repair cost is quite high, we have two in our extended family and the owners are uncomfortable with spare part prices as well as the accidental repair cost, which happened in one case. Jeep is not supplying child parts which further adds to the problem.

Jeep is keeping repair and service costs next to the premium big three brands and that is untenable.

Last edited by i74js : 15th May 2023 at 13:56.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 21:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npawan29 View Post
I still cannot believe Wagon R tops this chart with a near ZERO GNCAP rating. It fails me.
Off-topic, but this line of thought is getting stale in my opinion. Let's put it the other way:

Why aren't other manufacturers not able to convert Wagon-R customers to say a Tiago, despite being safer and being in the market for quite some time ? Is it poor marketing, poor after sales service, supply/manufacturing constraints, or simply a not so good product in relative terms (safety ratings aside) ? Why can't they just launch a tall, boxy, reliable hatchback that takes the Wagon-R head on!

Sure, we can just rant all day about all Wagon-R/Alto buyers being a bunch of people who don't understand anything about safety or driving or anything in general about life, but does that argument really hold when Maruti rolls out 20,000 units per month while Tata does 8,000 units of a comparable car.

Think hard, it is about ~10,000 cars more in just one month, multiply that by 12 and the argument is that there are basically an average 120,000 ignorant people per year in India who chose not to convert to a safer option ?

Just an observation, in the area I live, there are some high net worth individuals who have two cars in their household, the first one is either a German or a Toyota Fortuner/Innova, and the second one is usually a Wagon-R.

P.S: I am not associated with either Maruti or other manufacturers, but feel free to bash me as a Maruti Suzuki Fanboy if that helps (which I am not, honestly)
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 09:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Off-topic, but this line of thought is getting stale in my opinion. Let's put it the other way:

Why aren't other manufacturers not able to convert Wagon-R customers to say a Tiago, despite being safer and being in the market for quite some time ? Is it poor marketing, poor after sales service, supply/manufacturing constraints, or simply a not so good product in relative terms (safety ratings aside) ? Why can't they just launch a tall, boxy, reliable hatchback that takes the Wagon-R head on!

Sure, we can just rant all day about all Wagon-R/Alto buyers being a bunch of people who don't understand anything about safety or driving or anything in general about life, but does that argument really hold when Maruti rolls out 20,000 units per month while Tata does 8,000 units of a comparable car.

Think hard, it is about ~10,000 cars more in just one month, multiply that by 12 and the argument is that there are basically an average 120,000 ignorant people per year in India who chose not to convert to a safer option ?

Just an observation, in the area I live, there are some high net worth individuals who have two cars in their household, the first one is either a German or a Toyota Fortuner/Innova, and the second one is usually a Wagon-R.

P.S: I am not associated with either Maruti or other manufacturers, but feel free to bash me as a Maruti Suzuki Fanboy if that helps (which I am not, honestly)
How often do you see a Maruti broken down on the side of the road?

End of the day, most Marutis are reliable, cheap to run and maintain.

And as rightly pointed out on this thread earlier, for a family upgrading from a two-wheeler, 4 doors and a roof is more safety than what a motorcycle would offer.
asbshyam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 10:39   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanto View Post

Harrier + Safari = 2783 + 2029 = 4812
Those are stellar numbers for basically 2/3yr old cars in 20-30lak OTR bracket with just diesel powertrains. I wonder how much of a price increase will be there when new facelift versions arrive.

Tata should seriously plan launching with Both Diesel and petrol with automatic versions at launch this time around
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 11:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarora View Post
Looking at the sales numbers of Kia Carens V/s Alcazar. Any specific reasons why Carens does 3x of sales. Is price the only deciding factor here, I understand there is a different of 2 Lacs, given they both share almost the same hardware.
Exactly. Sharing the same hardware, yet the Alcazar is priced as a Creta plus, whereas the Carens make both the Sonet and Seltos look less VFM.

And the Carens does well in the MPV bit, snuggling betwen the Ertiga and the Innova and doing well in space management. So, unless a person wants a 7 seater Creta, as a product, the Carens is a far better MPV than the Alcazar and deserves the sales success.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 18:08   #54

I think sales numbers have dropped because of the year end phenomenon. As such, every damn car has a huge waiting period.

I just checked out Maruti. Except for a few popular models like Swift and Alto 800, other models have a minimum waiting period of 10 weeks - the dealership was saying that it is because of the continuing non-availability issue with semi-conductors.
Old 16th May 2023, 22:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Exactly. Sharing the same hardware, yet the Alcazar is priced as a Creta plus, whereas the Carens make both the Sonet and Seltos look less VFM.

And the Carens does well in the MPV bit, snuggling betwen the Ertiga and the Innova and doing well in space management. So, unless a person wants a 7 seater Creta, as a product, the Carens is a far better MPV than the Alcazar and deserves the sales success.
Alcazar is based on the Creta platform and Carens is based on the Sonet platform. That platform is what makes the pricing difference and Carens is priced lower than Alcazar. That is why they tried to differentiate with the petrol engines with Alcazar getting 2.0 liter engine and Carens with 1.5, though Diesel are the same. That is why Diesel was under powered in the Alcazar.

That explains why the Carens is priced lower and has been a run away success compared to the Alcazar.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 16th May 2023 at 22:21.
Old 17th May 2023, 10:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Alcazar is based on the Creta platform and Carens is based on the Sonet platform. That platform is what makes the pricing difference and Carens is priced lower than Alcazar. That is why they tried to differentiate with the petrol engines with Alcazar getting 2.0 liter engine and Carens with 1.5, though Diesel are the same. That is why Diesel was under powered in the Alcazar.

That explains why the Carens is priced lower and has been a run away success compared to the Alcazar.
I believe the Sonet/Venue/Creta/Seltos/Carens/Alcazar are all based on the same K2 platform. Some journalists had spread the misinformation that the Carens was based on the Sonet paltform and the Alcazar on the Creta platform to justify the price difference. The 2.0l NA petrol was given just for differentiation from the Creta, or maybe to justify the price difference.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 09:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrabbleMan17 View Post
Real winner of April 2023 is Creta. Thundering ahead with 14k+.(This is even after all the Ridicule it faces in SM)
Sorry for being out of the loop, buy why was Creta ridiculed in the SM? Was it the same brake issue it had a couple of years ago?
Old 18th May 2023, 12:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer_Shower View Post
Sorry for being out of the loop, buy why was Creta ridiculed in the SM? Was it the same brake issue it had a couple of years ago?
I think he is referring to the flak that Creta and Seltos get due to their poor shell quality compared to competitors.

If you were to go by Social Media then you would certainly be at the pearly gates of heaven if you drive a Creta/Seltos and Your TATA/Mahindra car is bound to be a lemon & that’s that, few cases or opinion of a group of individuals on social media don’t really dictate real life sales of cars.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:04   #59
BHPian

Looks like the Honda City is finally dethroned.
4000 units of Verna sold as opposed to only 1920 units of City. Will be interesting to see the trend in the long term.
Old 19th May 2023, 13:18   #60
BHPian

Its about 4 lakh cars (private and commercial) per month.

Just saw China exported 1.07 million cars in 3 months. So they export as many cars as we produce

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65643064
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks