Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Princess in the 800 might have survived !!
It is just wishful thinking, if only it had been a maruti, it would have had to be in India & if it had been in India, there would have been nil or very little paparazzi & even if there were a little paparazzi, no one would have followed the princess like that, even if they had, they could not have caught up with her knowing the way our cabbies drive their cars et al.
Old 24th July 2007, 00:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

If the Omni were to hit a pillar at 200km/h..the only thing that it would resemble- a pancake or a crushed piece of metal from the scrap yard.

I guess,on an average the Merc would weigh twice as much as an M800.

The guy was definitely on some drugs,to make such a claim.
Old 24th July 2007, 00:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Oh ho M for Maruti and M for Mercedes . Anyone can be confused eh
Old 24th July 2007, 00:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

The statement itself is so dumb-founded that one needs to know from what perspective was he saying those lines. A person of his stature might not be making points in the air, he should have justification behind those. We have had so many people laying down their lives because Maruti sold them an unsafe canopy in the name of a car at a mouthwatering price.

The whole statement is defensive, as the Tata 1 lakh car will most likely be the first low-cost car that meets some basic safety requirements.
Old 24th July 2007, 00:46   #20
BHPian

oh does mr khattar think that the m 800 weighs close to 1400 kg kerb weight ? if thats the case then the m 800 has to compete with the palio for FE !!!
par i still think he definately must have something in mind to say this, may be a new m 800 with aribags and all
Old 24th July 2007, 01:00   #21
BANNED

How much more can you praise about a product? That too, shamelessly?

Not just indians. Actually, there were some reviewers in Europe who found the Panda AWD to be better than the Range Rover when it comes to tackling off road stuff.
This 800 vs Merc S class is something more of a shame than pride.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

This guy is getting old. Someone please replace him. Like he replaced RC Bhargava who also started talking nonsense at the end of his tenure.

For example, Bhargava said (maybe in the early 90s) something to the effect that people buying cheaper cars like the 800 dont deserve seatbelts, whereas the 1000 came with standard seatbelts.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:11   #23
BHPian

I hope he is misquoted, our journo's are notorious for misquoting people and taking things out of context.
Anyway, he said "Maruti 800, according to people who have studied, it is as safe as a Mercedes, if not safer. Some people said if Princess Diana was in an 800, she might have been saved".

Btw, Maruti 800 is indeed safer than a C class Merc from an environment point of view. According to CSE, Benz pollutes more than a Maruti 800 and a santro. Probably Mr. kattar meant that Maruti is safe for environment

Last edited by Mayavi : 24th July 2007 at 01:13.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:56   #24
BHPian

Maruti is not safe i mean the 800 people only survive because of pure luck ,and to compare it to safety of Mercedes Benz is like a joke ,and more so a cruel one for the families of those who died just because they met with serious accidents just because of there 700 kgs outdated models
Having virualy nothing in the name of safety

Mr khattar is comparing Mercedes Benz to OMNI ,i think he should compare it to a roller Coaster ,and even roller Coaster ride is safer than OMNI but the cost of life in this country is nothing for people to understand ,and more so maruti has definitely saved many families who till now had no option but to travel on two wheelers for sure ,and they have saved some of these lives for sure ,but i think its not appropriate to compare it to the Marque of safety Mercedes Benz --- which will most probably kill you if you see the service bills and costs of spares and repairs
Old 24th July 2007, 04:35   #25

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i really dont think jagdish khattar would have said something so stupid.you cant really be sure of the media these days.most probably,the reporter might have picked up bits and pieces from his interview and pieced them together.
i really find it hard to believe that the MD of maruti would be so dumb to say something which could turn out to be a legal hassle.
mercedes can sue maruti for downplaying their products and comparing them to a m800.
Old 24th July 2007, 06:27   #26
BHPian

Omg

How does one get into a top post with a very little knowledge on Automotive safety features ?

What is he? I mean by education?
Old 24th July 2007, 07:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

I, like several others on the thread, believe that either he (Jagdish Khattar) has either been misquoted or the context is completely different.
Old 24th July 2007, 08:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I, like several others on the thread, believe that either he (Jagdish Khattar) has either been misquoted or the context is completely different.
I too agree with u on this...He must be misquoted.... Today media is ready to blow things out of proportion...

Abhi
Old 24th July 2007, 09:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

I just hope he has been misquoted. That is the biggest piece of bull I have heard. Damn.
Old 24th July 2007, 09:20   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Khattar would never make such a silly statement. Its just the press doing what they are best at.......misappropriating facts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks