Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the OHC VTEC, the Indian 'M5'.
Yes 7 10.61%
No 59 89.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 23:46   #16

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

ohc vtec, an Indian m5.hell no....
imo the ohc vtec is too over hyped and doesn't deserve the cult status that it enjoys.the only thing that is in its favour is the engine with 106ps.the bhp barrier has long been broken and you have much better cars now,even in India.
obviously i voted for "no".
Old 24th July 2007, 23:52   #17
BHPian

PLEASE don't make this kind of comparison .There are lot of M5 addicts in this forum and u r hurting everyone ...:-(
Old 25th July 2007, 00:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is the OHC VTEC good? Yes, definitely. Is it as good or comparable to an M5? Absolutely, No.

VV - I understand where you're coming from since I still consider this car to be one of the best driver's cars ever sold in our market. But can it hold equal position as the hallowed M-car? No.

So I personally think this kind of comparison is silly. But it is a good driver's car, let there be no doubt about that. And for all the nay sayers it might not be the best today, but it is still miles ahead of the piece of **** NHC VTEC and many other so-called "Driver's cars".
Old 25th July 2007, 01:19   #19
BHPian

hi guys, i'm not comparing the OHC VTEC to the M5. What i meant was that since the VTEC was one of the first performance sedans in India, can it be called the Indian 'M5'. I'm not comparing itto the M5. and when i said that i named my car M5, i din't mean that i was going to put an M5 badge on the car or something stupid like that. i just pet named my car as M5.
Old 26th July 2007, 04:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

No, the stock Vtec had a beautiful engine, and that's it. It handled like a piece of crap, and it was really really nervous at high speeds. But yes, that engine was something else.
Old 26th July 2007, 07:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
hi guys, i'm not comparing the OHC VTEC to the M5. What i meant was that since the VTEC was one of the first performance sedans in India, can it be called the Indian 'M5'. I'm not comparing itto the M5. and when i said that i named my car M5, i din't mean that i was going to put an M5 badge on the car or something stupid like that. i just pet named my car as M5.
It can be called the first Indian sedan that was half-fast instead of sheeet-azz slow. Thats about it.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 26th July 2007 at 07:49.
Old 26th July 2007, 07:57   #22

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
but it is still miles ahead of the piece of **** NHC VTEC and many other so-called "Driver's cars".
who gave you the impression that the nhc vtec is a drivers car...its just a quick commuter car.for drivers cars please take a look at the cedia,palio,ikon 1.6,rs,fiesta 1.6.
Old 26th July 2007, 08:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

I used to drive a OHC VTEC 4 yrs back and was happy with the car BUT then after driving the Cedai , Corrolla , Civic & even the Verna CRDi, the OHC Vtec cannot come close. It was a good car when it was there but not now. The interiors ( even 4 yrs back ) looked outdated ( at least a decade old ) .

Calling it Indian M5 is not good !! M5 leaves me speechless !!! Period !!!
Old 26th July 2007, 11:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
OHC VTEC and M5???!!!!

Its like comparing a 800 and a Octavia vRS, the M5 is one beast, has 11 setting for gear selection, RWD, V10, DOHC(all indian Hondas are OHC to save on money), TCS, ABS, 6 Airbags, Satnav, if i continue writing i will run in to one whole page on what the beemer has, No was can a Vtec be called the Indian M5, a vRS cant be, what can a Vtec. The Vtec has rear poor suspension, brakes are medicure. A stock Vtec will be outdone by a stock Cedia on track.
... I don't think so!

Cheers
shrey
Old 26th July 2007, 12:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
VV - I understand where you're coming from since I still consider this car to be one of the best driver's cars ever sold in our market. But can it hold equal position as the hallowed M-car? No.
Actually, this is as much a sign of how limited our market is than a reflection of how good the OHC Vtec really is.

We have a long, long way to go still for true (affordable) drivers cars to be sold here.
Old 26th July 2007, 12:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Actually, this is as much a sign of how limited our market is than a reflection of how good the OHC Vtec really is.

We have a long, long way to go still for true (affordable) drivers cars to be sold here.
True, but as long as the first question an average customer asks in our country remains "Mileage kya deti hai?" the situation is not going to change much.
Old 26th July 2007, 12:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

That's not true. There's no rule that states a driver's car needs to be expensive to buy and own. Think VW Rabbit, original Mini. Great drivers cars. No headline making power figures, but that didn't matter.

The most promising car currently available is the Swift. If only Maruti gave it the engine it deserves. We would then have a great drivers car for less than 8 lakhs OTR. And one that would still return figures of around 10kmpl in the city.
Old 26th July 2007, 12:37   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
The most promising car currently available is the Swift. If only Maruti gave it the engine it deserves. We would then have a great drivers car for less than 8 lakhs OTR. And one that would still return figures of around 10kmpl in the city.
Robin being the voice of India. But I agree with you, my friend.
Old 26th July 2007, 12:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Correct Robin, but there are very few driver's cars today with a low power output because our cars are getting heavier with every generation. The Rabbit/Mini were possible at that time but look at even what the new Mini or the current Golf GTi weigh now. With the excess weight of cars today unless you have a good, powerful engine the PTW ratio is going to remain sad and that is one of the most important benchmarks to consider apart from the handling of course.

And you know what most people are going to say even with a 10kmpl FE don't you.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:07   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And you know what most people are going to say even with a 10kmpl FE don't you.
for those people, there is always the 1.3L, or even better, the 1.1 L Stile or 1.2L Getz.

Can't we cars guys have some fun as well?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks