Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the OHC VTEC, the Indian 'M5'.
Yes 7 10.61%
No 59 89.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 01:22   #46

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post

This is an offence to me!!! Calling the above a driver's car? Yeah right, You must refer the Omni, 800 etc as personal driving cars.

A
since you have made this statement,i would request you to go and drive the cars that i mentioned,atleast once.
i totally agree with mclaren.a drivers car is one which might not necessarily be quick in terms of 0-100's but one which involves the driver in all its attributes.the palio1.6,cedia,ikon1.6,rs,fiesta 1.6,swift and even the zen(to some extent) are excellent drivers cars.they have good acceleration,braking,steering feel,and excellent handling.ohc vtec totally loses it when it comes to corner carving.even the old lancer was better at it but lost the plot due to an unenthusiastic engine.
IMO (AND NO OFFENCE TO FELLOW OHC OWNERS),i realy dont think the ohc vtec deserves the cult status that it enjoys.
Old 27th July 2007, 03:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I'll vote yes, if the Baleno can be our M3 - pleeaaassssse
Else, No !

Deal ?
Oh no that would go to the Ikon 1.6 (with a "middle-pedal-operated-retractable" parachute attached at the rear). Baleno, stock car and handling are not said in the same breadth. Baleno is the AMG!
Old 27th July 2007, 10:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
I see what VV is saying. In the European marketplace, the M5 originally represented a surprisingly fast and able sedan - one that was very stealthy, and much faster than people would expect, seeing it's pedestrian appearance.

What you have to remember is that in Europe, a 5-series is/was just another boring sedan, and the M5 was only distinguishable from a "cooking" 518i or 524td by the enthusiast. This ability to fly under the radar, combined with the capacity of the M5, was unprecedented and started a whole new category. Sounds as if the OHC VTEC was just as surprisingly fast, at least when introduced. Of course, an original, fifteen-year-old M5 is still faster than most sedans available (and certainly faster on track) and it seems as if time has already caught up with the OHC VTEC?

Now I don't know exactly what place the OHC VTEC occupied in the Indian marketplace, but I will vote a "maybe".

Thats exactly what i meant. The OHC VTEC was launched in 2001. At that time a car doing 0-100 kmph in 9 odd seconds and with a top speed of 185 kmph was incredible. Even today, how many Indian made cars (stock) can do a 0-100 in under 10 sec? A Corrolla, some Mercedes models, the RS and thats it.

The handling of the OHC VTEC may not be the best, but it's not the worst either. It's handling is more than enough for Indian roads (how many corners do we have?). And how many of us would take our cars to the tracks? Are there enough race tracks open to public in India?
Old 27th July 2007, 10:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Uhmm.. Okay I got you now. Sorry about it. But wait, if you're talking about the situation, then how about the fact that the OHC VTEC got discontinued and a huge difference was made in looks of the NHC, and also the VTEC wasn't continued in the NHC, while the M5 just got minor facelifts but retained the same engine.

I don't know if I'm able to tell out the exact point I mean to say here..

A

Discontinuing the OHC ( all models ) was not a decision taken by 'Honda Siel Cars India'. Honda Citys are made for only India, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia etc. It was decided by Honda to discontinue the OHCs and replace it with the more 'futuristic' NHCs with new more fuel efficient engines causing less pollution, in all these countries.
Old 27th July 2007, 10:21   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
And how many of us would take our cars to the tracks? Are there enough race tracks open to public in India?
I do . And there are two tracks in the country and both are open to the public. Infact some of us from TBHP are going to the Chennai track this Aug 4th.
Old 27th July 2007, 10:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
since you have made this statement,i would request you to go and drive the cars that i mentioned,atleast once.
Hey, chill mate , I think he misunderstood what a "driver's" car meant that's all......Rahul explained it to him. I agree with your sentiments by the way
Old 27th July 2007, 13:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I do . And there are two tracks in the country and both are open to the public. Infact some of us from TBHP are going to the Chennai track this Aug 4th.
hehehehe mclaren, thats what i meant. too many people, too many cars, too(two) little tracks. one is in chennai. where is the other track situated?

I feel the poll is injustified and many people voted due to misunderstandings and lack of clarification. Can any moderator please remove/delete the poll from this thread. But please don't delete this thread, let the discussions continue.
Old 27th July 2007, 13:20   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
where is the other track situated?
Its in Coimbatore. Know as the Kari Motor Speedway.
Old 27th July 2007, 13:43   #54
BANNED

How many people here have driven the M5?
Old 27th July 2007, 13:47   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Good question, but I doubt many who have voted here have driven the Vtec either.
Old 27th July 2007, 18:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Its in Coimbatore. Know as the Kari Motor Speedway.
i have heard about it. overdrive had conducted their hunt for the best driver's car there. it was after honda stopped producing the OHCs. the best car to drive was the RS and the most fun to drive car was the Ikon 1.6 according to overdrive's test report.

Quote:
Quote:
Good question, but I doubt many who have voted here have driven the Vtec either.
well said guys.
Old 27th July 2007, 18:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Is that pertinent here ?
I believe @VV's original comment was based more on perception of a brand name. Passions, images that are conjured up in one's mind when you think of a M5 or Vtec (or Ferraris, Lambos etc). Driving one need not have anything to do with this.
Old 27th July 2007, 19:06   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Is that pertinent here ?
Driving one need not have anything to do with this.
I've not driven an M5 and so, cannot say whether the OHC VTEC is comparable to an M5. I've driven the OHC VTEC a few times but that does not entitle me to cast my vote either way.
Old 27th July 2007, 22:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Is that pertinent here ?
I believe @VV's original comment was based more on perception of a brand name. Passions, images that are conjured up in one's mind when you think of a M5 or Vtec (or Ferraris, Lambos etc). Driving one need not have anything to do with this.
Quote:
I've not driven an M5 and so, cannot say whether the OHC VTEC is comparable to an M5. I've driven the OHC VTEC a few times but that does not entitle me to cast my vote either way.

I'm sorry i found it funny and got carried away in my earlier reply.

shuvc, what you said is exactly right.

hrag, you can cast your vote either way whether you have driven or not driven the OHC VTEC.

thank you guys.
Old 28th July 2007, 09:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have heard about it. overdrive had conducted their hunt for the best driver's car there. it was after honda stopped producing the OHCs. the best car to drive was the RS and the most fun to drive car was the Ikon 1.6 according to overdrive's test report.
Even if OD had taken the OHC it would not stand a chance to come in the top 3, since the RS, Corolla & Accord in stock would leave the OHC for dead.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks