Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 20:54   #601
BHPian

re: HSRP mandatory in Karnataka | EDIT: Deadline extended to 17th May 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
On BookMyHSRP (for Maurti), I was getting this error with the month mentioned as April-2020. Looking at your post, it looks like the dealer is the entity who can actually do this, but they dont seem keen to take the trouble since it is not for a new car.
If it helps you follow-up with the dealership, the site used by Honda dealership went something like this: hsrp.in/DEALER/make_order<blah,blah>
Old 5th February 2024, 17:30   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hehe, good one. I am astonished though just how many people are yet to get their HSRPs. In both my gated community as well as outside, there are zillions of pre-0419 vehicles with all varieties of number plates.

Makes me wonder if these people living under a rock, or is it pure apathy?
Very true, as I interact with multiple folks, none are aware of HSRP mandate. Leave the mandate, not even even aware of HSRP including the abbreviation.

We should not find fault with the citizens, there should have been more propaganda / notifications / awareness from RTO
Old 6th February 2024, 10:02   #603
BHPian

I have a different take on the HSRP, if it is mandatory let them make it throughout the country, now this order being only for Karnataka makes me suspect some intense lobbying by the vendors and maybe some sarkaari babu nexus. When I bought my Pulsar in 2010 they said IND number plate will become mandatory and I spent around 1500Rs more to get that but I never saw that being implemented and now I have to shell out for the HSRP considering my Bike is around 15 years old makes me wonder if I should spend on the HSRP considering there is still a petition pending before the court and we will never be sure of the outcome and the timelines, with this case still pending and the government setting deadlines I am not sure how it will work out.

I do agree making it mandatory for all new registrations and it makes more practical sense to implement in a phased manner.
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:05   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
I have a different take on the HSRP, if it is mandatory let them make it throughout the country, now this order being only for Karnataka makes me suspect some intense lobbying...
Registration of vehicles (the why, how etc.) is entirely within the purview of states and therefore such a change will be taken up at each state's convenience. That's the reason why it is not done India-wide in one go.

Quote:
When I bought my Pulsar in 2010 they said IND number plate will become mandatory and I spent around 1500Rs more to get that but I never saw that being implemented...

HSRP was specified back in 2001. IND plates (ie, HSRP-lookalike plates without the laser-etched serial numbers) were never in contention. Maybe the dealer took your for a ride? I have always gone for the cheapest option (which is usually the sticker plates) prior to HSRP implementation.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:31   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Maybe the dealer took your for a ride?
Agree, you were taken for a royal ride by your then dealer. 1.5K in 2001 is like 5K now .
Old 7th February 2024, 05:48   #606
BANNED

I really don't understand what is the difference between IND number plates and HSRP number plates. There are many vehicles which are older on road, using a normal black and white number plates.

I have heard from people that from March 2024, it is a mandatory rule to use IND number plates motorists. Now, i'm certainly confused on knowing that there is a difference between IND and HSRPs. Which one should i get for my two wheeler? How do i know that i am not fooled by the signage shop guy, on getting the right board.

I know that there is a lot of demand in Bengaluru for these boards, what are the costs for these boards, and how do i make sure that the these number plates fit into the screws on my vehicle?

Are you buying these Online/Offline?
Old 7th February 2024, 06:08   #607
BHPian

You may want to start going through the first pages of pages of this thread which should help clarify your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
You can book your HSRP (High Security Registration Plates) plates through here - https://www.siam.in/hrspsubmit.aspx?...1&pgidtrail=91
As to where to order your HSRP, please see above post with link.
vijaykr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 07:52   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
I really don't understand what is the difference between IND number plates and HSRP number plates... Which one should i get for my two wheeler?
It is quite simple. HSRP is based on a global standard (ISO 7591) which was introduced in India in 2001. IND plates is a scam perpetrated by dealers, repair shops and roadside number plate vendors.

Since 2019 dealers can't sell vehicles without HSRP. If your vehicle is older than that and if your state has implemented HSRP you should purchase a set and get it installed.

The most obvious things that distinguish HSRP from scam products like IND plates are: the laser-etched serial number on the plates, and the "third plate" which is a colour-coded sticker that goes on your windshield.

Quote:
How do i know that i am not fooled by the signage shop guy, on getting the right board.

I know that there is a lot of demand in Bengaluru for these boards, what are the costs for these boards, and how do i make sure that the these number plates fit into the screws on my vehicle?

Are you buying these Online/Offline?
You don't buy HSRP from "signage shops". You buy them off accredited vendors with whom your vehicle manufacturer has tied up on a per-state basis. For this purpose, you start here:

https://www.siam.in/hrspsubmit.aspx?...1&pgidtrail=91

This site will take you the correct vendor for your vehicle+state combination. You order the plates online, after making an electronic payment. You choose where to get the plates installed - typically dealer showrooms, and in cases where the dealers have shut shop (eg: Ford), at authorised service centres.

The cost is fixed by the respective state government. In Karnataka the cost for cars is Rs. 750 per set plus GST.

In general, the plates fit correctly in the existing provision for number plates on your vehicle. Whatever little adjustment is required, the fitting technician is capable of doing (for my car, a bit of drilling was needed). The plates are not screwed in, but riveted.

There is no offline purchase option for HSRP.
binand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 08:19   #609
BANNED

I tried booking the above link. The site redirects me to another website.
There was some technical glitch, and that didn't allow me to move ahead with it.

I wish there were offline stores which helped me in getting the number plates at earliest.
Since booking online seems to be little complicated, and not hassle-free.
Old 7th February 2024, 15:55   #610
BHPian

Quote:
HSRP was specified back in 2001. IND plates (ie, HSRP-lookalike plates without the laser-etched serial numbers) were never in contention. Maybe the dealer took your for a ride? I have always gone for the cheapest option (which is usually the sticker plates) prior to HSRP implementation.
It was definitely a rip off for me at that time but I hate to admit the quality of the plates are real good, putting that aside it exactly is my point now unless there is a clear direction why invest on it now, let the court decide and then let the government issue a notification and I will gladly fix one.
Old 7th February 2024, 16:29   #611
BHPian

Quote:
I tried booking the above link. The site redirects me to another website.
There was some technical glitch, and that didn't allow me to move ahead with it.

What was the error you encountered? Unless you mention the specifics, one may not be able to suggest you how to proceed.

Quote:
When I bought my Pulsar in 2010 they said IND number plate will become mandatory and I spent around 1500Rs more to get that but I never saw that being implemented and now I have to shell out for the HSRP considering my Bike is around 15 years old makes me wonder if I should spend on the HSRP considering there is still a petition pending before the court and we will never be sure of the outcome and the timelines, with this case still pending and the government setting deadlines I am not sure how it will work out.
Have mentioned this earlier here, just before the notification came from the KA govt, I had approached a local vendor for HSRP plates and he had quoted 1300 (with a group discount of Rs. 100 as a favour). I waited then and it was a good call, now I got the plates and stickers for Rs 800 and the Vahan database updated promptly.

You have option to wait and watch. Considering the low adoption of the HSRP conversion for pre 2019 vehicles, the dates are likely to be extended.

Last edited by bejoy : 7th February 2024 at 16:40.
Old 7th February 2024, 18:20   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
let the court decide and then let the government issue a notification and I will gladly fix one.
Not sure what court decision or government notification you are waiting for. All that is over long back. Now the only matter pending before court is whether to allow roadside shops to allow issuing HSRPs or not - and that is not at all certain will go the shops' way.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 08:21   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what court decision or government notification you are waiting for. All that is over long back. Now the only matter pending before court is whether to allow roadside shops to allow issuing HSRPs or not - and that is not at all certain will go the shops' way.
That is right. The only decision pending with the court currently is about the choice of vendors for HSRP. That too is a weak case as Karnataka govt. has gone ahead with vendors empaneled by Ministry of Transport long back. So the potential outcome is clear.

The said case is filed by the association of street-side vendors who neither have the capability nor the infrastructure to connect to Central govt. portal for validation and authentication. Even their machinery and production capabilities are suspect.

There is no debate on the notification so no need to wait for the courts to decide anything. All that is awaited is "if the govt. chooses" to give another extension which is quite possible, given the low adoption. However, there is no escaping the HSRP rule as it is already in force.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th February 2024 at 07:41. Reason: Minor typo edited
nareshtrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 08:49   #614
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand why car owners are dillydallying on this on the pretext that "why roadside shops etc aren't allowed to sell HSRP plates", when the process to apply for it legally is very straightforward as you explained in a prior post, and it reaches us within 3 weeks.

The only hitch I had for my car, as I explained a few months ago, was that the RTO had put a block on my regn due to their incorrect inference of RTO tax. I anyway went to the RTO and paid the tax differential in the interest of time (even though I could well have disputed it), and resolved the issue, thereby removing the block. Thereafter I could seamlessly apply for HSRP (despite the fact that I'm temporarily located in a different state).

For my wife's car, it was even simpler.

Not sure what difficulty the others are facing, who are dillydallying on this. Maybe I'm missing something.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 09:40   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since 2019 dealers can't sell vehicles without HSRP. If your vehicle is older than that and if your state has implemented HSRP you should purchase a set and get it installed.
Quote:
Not sure what court decision or government notification you are waiting for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
The only decision pending with the court currently is about the choice of vendors for HSRP. That too is a weak case as Karnataka govt. has gone ahead with vendors empaneled by Ministry of Transport long back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I don't understand why car owners are dillydallying on this on the pretext that "why roadside shops etc aren't allowed to sell HSRP plates", when the process to apply for it legally is very straightforward as you explained in a prior post, and it reaches us within 3 weeks.
Very patiently explained by all three of you capturing what has been discussed innumerable times over 41 pages and ~620 posts. 7 months have passed since the initial notification!

Personally, I hope no further relaxation is given, and the ANPRS cameras start to send automated penalties to all non-compliant vehicle owners.

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th February 2024 at 09:45.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks