Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 19:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi/1.8TPi (650kms)- Good driving position, brilliant handling and awesome engines.
Tata Safari (700kms)- Most comfortable mile muncher (seating/view/ride wise).
Hyundai Elantra CRDi (650kms)- Good seats(front), okay ride and predictable handling. 112 bhp and 25 kgm of torque take care of the rest.
Ford Ikon 1.8 ZXI (650kms) - Not fun to drive but not tiring either.
Tata Sumo (550kms)- Isn't as bad as it is perceived to be.
Amby (600kms)- Rear seats. Bus!
Have driven these cars extensively. All are/were personal cars.
FYI The Safari we had was the first generation TCIC ('97). And the Sumo was '96 model, no turbo/ac/power steering. The Ambys were a '74 Mark 2 (?) and a early '90s Nova Diesel.

Last edited by shuvd : 6th August 2007 at 19:59.
Old 6th August 2007, 20:25   #17
BHPian

My picks are:
* Toyota Innova. The best so far...
* Fiat Palio (longest was 550 Kms with half an hour break). Back seats though, were not so comfortable when I was forced to sit behind.
* Mitsubishi Lancer (longest was 450kms with half an hour break).
Old 6th August 2007, 20:42   #18
BHPian

My take:

1. Fiat Siena/Petra 1.6P - Superb for both driving and to be driven
2. Maruti Swift P - Good for driving and above average ride quality. Lot of noices though when it meets bad roads and sometimes heartbreaking.
3. Hyundai Santro - Front seating is good and pretty smooth, but those at the back are very unlucky. Average driving feel, but peppy enough on all terrains.
4. Matiz - Good for being driven. Driving is good when AC is off - otherwise little sluggish and keeps driver busy
5. Lancer D - Front seats are good. I do not like the very low rear seating for long drives. Driving is pretty comfy.
6. Sumo/Qualis - IMO, not a good ride quality. Haven't driven them

- Karthik
Old 6th August 2007, 21:04   #19
BHPian

My vote goes to
1. Safari
2. Indica
Old 6th August 2007, 21:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think Chevrolet's Optra is a very comfy long distance cruiser for the following reasons.
  • Good ride quality
  • All Wheel independent suspension
  • Comfy Seats
  • Adjustable Lumbar Support
  • Almost noiseless cabin thanks to TNRS
  • Clutch Rest(most cars have it but its not there in a Swift )
Old 6th August 2007, 21:15   #21
BHPian

back seat of the corolla its not firm
like my butt on soft cushoning
Old 6th August 2007, 21:15   #22
BHPian

i have driven 1200 kms at a stretch in a single day witha 3 hr break(chennai to coimbatore and back) in an 800.. Ankle pain and underpowered still i loved it
Old 6th August 2007, 21:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^Yup Dead pedal is a huge huge help on long drives. Its avoids those painful left feet.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I think Chevrolet's Optra is a very comfy long distance cruiser for the following reasons.
  • Good ride quality
  • All Wheel independent suspension
  • Comfy Seats
  • Adjustable Lumbar Support
  • Almost noiseless cabin thanks to TNRS
  • Clutch Rest(most cars have it but its not there in a Swift )
i agree with u till i die... damn its as comfy as anything. one can fall asleep in the back seat and front seats are so damn good as they hold you like mothers hold their child with love and affection..

Whenever i used to see SKODA advertisement where they show the bed in skoda it always used to remind me of OPTRA. The next thing that comes near Optra is ACCORD. Dont know about Merc C class. Haven't been in that. But Merc M class is something leagues ahead and lets not talk about M class here
Old 6th August 2007, 21:38   #25
BHPian

in my opinion,the fusion diesel would be the best option now.will return good mileage figures,a good driving position which ensures you dont get tired soon,plus decent handling and stability which makes it unbeatable

of course,when doing such comparisons,price is a consideration too!!

the palio is my ride and thats a decent highway muncher too!!
Old 6th August 2007, 21:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi/1.8TPi (650kms)- Good driving position, brilliant handling and awesome engines.
True

Over the years I did long drives (400+ km in a day) in my old Zen which I found was a great improvement in comfort over the Ambassador. The Amby's heavy clutch, tough steering, wooden brakes and the lack of airconditioning left you exhausted if you drove it for more than a hundred kilometres at a stretch.

Then I bought a 1.6 Siena which felt like another great improvement. I could do Trivandrum to Ernakulam (200 km) in about 3-3 1/2 hours and feel fresh at the end of the journey.

Now my Octavia means I can relax in an armchair and cruise along leisurely. I feel I can drive all day and not feel a thing.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:43   #27
BHPian

My vote goes to Skoda octavia 1.9(400 kms) ...
Old 6th August 2007, 21:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Even the Tata Safari TCIC is a comfortable highway cruiser, just ensure that you have the windows rolled up and the sound kept putside. However Ikon, has a fantastic driving position, once you get into the seat you realise the beauty of it. The driving part does not take any toll on you on a long drive, what does however is the harder suspension, which takes a toll on all passengers rather than the driver alone and the lack of peace of mind of looking ahead for needs to slow down rapidly as well as finding a service center if something goes wrong. In anycase not counting the cars driven outside India.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have only 2-3 km test drive experience in Optra, I agree you BUSA about Optra's class leading comfort, very nice seats I had decided to buy it if I am not buying Innova!

Optra is best sedan in its class I sat.

Ravi.
Old 6th August 2007, 21:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Have done around 550 kms in a M-800 on the mumbai goa highway several times.The best seats are the drivers & the co-passenger next to the drivers.Rear seat will make u feel like u r getting rocked in a cradle.However as far as driving comfort is concerned then it feels really nice and is not tiringl.All the controls are withing reach and the car drives itself with u only needing to guide it.Cruising at speeds around 80 kmph eats up the miles quite comfortably.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks