Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 09:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have done 400KM at a stretch thrice in my NHC. Twice, it was between 6PM & midnight. Other between mid-noon & 6PM. Quite comfortable. Only my eyes pained due to continuously staring at the road.
Old 7th August 2007, 09:50   #47
BHPian

Why not add poll with enabling multiple choices?
Old 7th August 2007, 09:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

comfy cors

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Comfortable cars I have driven:

1.) Daewoo Matiz: Spot on Ergonomics. I would just plonk myself on the drivers seat and I'd be right where I wanted to be and all the controls were so perfectly placed. .
1. I agree too the matiz is great to drive but without ac on.
2. I like the Scorpio. great driving position, upright seats, powerful. done 850 kms Blore to Pune 14 hrs.
3. Omni gives me a pain in the neck after 6 - 8 hrs driving.
4. Padmini was the worst with tierdness cropping up after 5 -6 hrs of driving. very poor ergonomics
Old 7th August 2007, 10:26   #49
BANNED

I haven't travelled extensively in the Sumo but knowing Tata's knack of getting seating comfort spot on, I wouldn't be surprised if it was comfortable over long distances.

Safari, Indigo, Indica - whatever else Tata does not give you, they most certainly give you great seating comfort and a good ride.
Old 7th August 2007, 10:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

1. Mahindra Armada 4WD - Great Driving position and road presence (when it was launched)

2. Maruti Esteem - Comfortable is the word, although I dont like the sunk in seating.

3. TATA Sumo - Good driving position, but the body rolls.

4. Santro 1.0 - Extremely peppy (without A/C), especially during hill drives, very good throttle response, lesser fatigues.

5. Maruti Omni - Very spacious, can carry as much luggage as you want but not very comfortable for long drives.

Have driven all on a mix of highways and hilly terrain and over 500 Kms in a day (within 10-13 hrs)
Old 7th August 2007, 10:40   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am surprised to see the mention of hatchbacks on this thread; except for the Indica / Palio / Getz brigage, not too many hatches would be ideal for highway cruising.

Any car that has great ride quality with roomy interiors would be good on the highway. Supportive seats are another must-have (rules out the OHC!).
Old 7th August 2007, 10:48   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Supportive seats are another must-have (rules out the OHC!).
:
I am not comfortable with this car on long drives.

All the Camries were always comfortable on long drives.
Old 7th August 2007, 10:52   #53
Team-BHP Support

I have driven only 4 cars more than 200 Km in a day - Baleno, Innova, Palio and Alto. The most extensive ones have been in my Baleno which include 5500 Km in 6 days (Airtel Rally in 2005 May) including a 32 Hour continuous drive from Delhi to Kolkata. Then 800 Kms at a stretch from Ravangla (Sikkim) to Kolkata in the Baleno and several other long distances. My rating would be -

1. Baleno (this wins over Innova due to the driving pleasure)
2. Innova
3. Palio
4. Alto
Old 7th August 2007, 11:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have done 3 realllllllly long trips this year -

Agra - Delhi - Jaipur - doing more than 450 kms a days and then a nights stop - this was the smallest trip.

Now coming to the longest - Manali - Delhi - nonstop drive - almost 600 kms - from 5 in the morning to 7 in the vening ( with 2-3 stops on the way ) - Excellent comfort !!!

Mussoorie - Agra - 490 kms - non stop - again excellent drive / comfort offered.

BTW MY CAR - ACCENT PETROL GLE 2005 MODEL - I get a mileage of 14 - 15 ( with 100% AC on ). Comfort has been really really ery good. This is only 2 people in the car ( me driving and alongside wifey ).

I also feel the Corolla is an excellent car offering great comfort on long drives.

Cheers !!!
Old 7th August 2007, 11:13   #55
BHPian

My take (excluding the super luxury segment) :

1. Toyota Camry
2. Honda Accord
3. Toyota Innova 'V'
3. Chevrolet Optra
4. Toyota Corolla
5. Chevrolet Aveo

Why I left out the Civic from the list ?? Purely because lack of lumbar support does lead to discomfiture on very long drives...also, the rear sitting position is a little too low for my liking notwithstanding the flat floor !!
Old 7th August 2007, 11:14   #56
BHPian

I'd gone to Ujjain, MP a mth back with my friend and we were in his Octavia 2L petrol. After driving for so long (which we covered in less then 2 days) the car was too comfortable, well planted on the road and we had taken the long way (forest area) which was awesome so natural guys it was my best experience till now and the car is gr8
So Skoda rules................The Octavia (P)
Old 7th August 2007, 11:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
:
I am not comfortable with this car on long drives.

All the Camries were always comfortable on long drives.
Actually the old model Camry, esp the 2002 model etc have very vague steering response. Makes highway driving in them quite tiring because the forearms get really stressed.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:34   #58
BHPian

i drove more than 500 kms in a day from delhi-jaipur-delhi in my ohc 1.5 exi with 5 occupants and felt very comfortable during the entrie ride...the only problem i had that it refused to go over 160 kph and the A/C was off during the entire trip...
Old 7th August 2007, 11:49   #59
BHPian

I did personally like the Bolero for long drives !!
Old 7th August 2007, 13:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

it would make sense if one could categorize the cars segment wise..Just Imagine.. today withe the availability of Mercs and BMWs..how can we compare the good from the BAD..

Mods..any ways to categorize the same thread..anyways..interesting to read so many differrent opinions..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks