Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 08:53   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The True "Premium" Hatchbacks

The growing premium hatchback- the fastest growing segment in 2015.

Now with most Indian manufacturers being present in this segment this is expected to grow further.

The True "Premium" Hatchbacks-capture.jpg

http://management-punditz.blogspot.in/
Old 30th November 2015, 10:11   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A very badly misused set of words. Premium and Luxury.

With the exception of a few marques, what we in India consider to be Premium, are merely considered "normal" in a developed country.

Skoda or VW, for example are actually still considered 'functional, utilitarian and pretty run of the mill" in developed countries. However, here in India it still has a certain Premium-ness associated with it.

If we really are talking Premium Hatches, then there should be space for the Mini Cooper S, the BMW 1 Series, the VW Golf GTi, Merc A and B Class, and various Peugeots and Renault hatchbacks along with others like even the Hyundai Veloster.... sadly few of these if any, are available here in India, so we are reduced to comparing between Hyundai I20, Elite, Active, VW Polo, Baleno, Fiat and Honda and the likes...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 13:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A very badly misused set of words. Premium and Luxury.

With the exception of a few marques, what we in India consider to be Premium, are merely considered "normal" in a developed country.
Completely agree. But the auto market in India is still evolving & maturing, along with the disposable income of Indians. Whereas it has matured and, to an extent, saturated out there in the west. To start with, owning a car out there is no big deal and majority junta own multiple vehicles in the family. Whereas here in India, buying a car is still looked upon as an aspirational purchase, even if its an entry level car like Nano or Alto. And the per-capita penetration of car ownership is amongst the lowest in the world. So it would be kinda wrong to compare.

Also, "premium" is a very subjective term. What is premium to one may be normal to many others.

But nonetheless, auto manufacturers are manipulating & misusing this word to their advantage.
Old 6th January 2018, 10:03   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

The Premium hatch segment initially set up by Honda Jazz and then Hyundi's Elite i20 takes it on.

Enter the late start of Maruti Suzuki's Baleno and there is no looking back since its launch. Though skeptical of its volumes initially due to it being a NEXA product( limited reach), it has proved all critics wrong and ruled the segment. The car is still having a waiting period as of now.

The True "Premium" Hatchbacks-14.jpg

Some highlights of this segment,

-In 2017, only these 4 models( Baleno, Elite, Jazz ans Polo) in the segment could sell an astonishing 3,42,569 unit.

- Baleno commanded over 51% market share .

- Average of 14,600 Baleno's a month, sold in 2017.

-The segment contributed to >10% in overall passenger cars sales

-Apart from Polo, all other models experienced a growth when compared to the same month last year.

Dec -17

The True "Premium" Hatchbacks-22.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th January 2018 at 10:05.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 10:40   #50
BHPian

True premium hatchbacks need to have -
(there are probably other factors, but these are what I'd look for)

- amazing performance - at least 150 bhp, big brakes,
- top of the line safety - 6 airbags, ABS, ESP, all disc brakes, wide section tyres,
- premium dealership/service experience,
- luxurious interiors - space, nice seats, lots of aluminium/wood/leather (depends on theme), proper audio setup.

Probably only the V40, Mini, Merc A & B, BM 1, Golf can be called premium hatches.

Jazz i20 Baleno Polo are nicer than Alto Swift Kwid WagonR etc, but cmon, who are we fooling, these aren't premium.

It's like saying, eating idlis at a table-chair darshini is premium and non- premium is eating the same at a standing-table-only darshini.
True premium is eating idlis at the Taj Westend overlooking the mist dew lawns.

(no offense meant to idlis, I take this example coz I had idlis this morning with my mates at a roadside thela post badminton game)
(no offence meant to jazz i20 polo owners, I drive a first gen jazz)

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 20:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
True premium is eating idlis at the Taj Westend overlooking the mist dew lawns.
Pretty much agree with all your points except the last line. What you described is NEXA setup by MSIL. it's the same Idli made at Darshini Kitchen but plated in a fancy chinaware washed in hot mineral water!

True premium is eating at the same place you mentioned but not the ordinary idli that you get in Darshini but worldclass Idli made from expensive Rice and Urad Dal. The likes of Saudi Hesawi rice or the Japanese rice made by Tokyo Rice Corporation! Now that can be called premium.

PS: No offence to Idli as I am going to gulp 4-5 of them in another 30 minutes or so. And I do own Polo.
Old 6th January 2018, 21:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
True premium hatchbacks need to have -
(there are probably other factors, but these are what I'd look for)

- amazing performance - at least 150 bhp, big brakes,
- top of the line safety - 6 airbags, ABS, ESP, all disc brakes, wide section tyres,
- premium dealership/service experience,
- luxurious interiors - space, nice seats, lots of aluminium/wood/leather (depends on theme), proper audio setup.

Probably only the V40, Mini, Merc A & B, BM 1, Golf can be called premium hatches.
In my view, what you have described above are features of luxury hatchbacks and the examples you have mentioned are of the same, except maybe the golf.

I think there is a difference between premium and luxury cars. Premium cars are a step above affordable cars, and luxury cars are a few steps above premium cars. These are all relative ofcourse.

In Europe and elsewhere, Jazz, i20 and Baleno are considered as the top tier affordable hatches. Whereas, Civic hatchback, i30, Golf etc are considered premium, and V40, A and B class, BMW 1 series etc are considered entry luxury cars.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 21:09   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Problem is, the products we get in the name of premium are anything but premium. They are basically just a notch above WagonR-Tiago quality, and we pay touching 7 figure sums for them.

I believe that over the past decade, we've only had the original Jazz, the Polo TSi and the Fabia that make the cut as premium hatchbacks, with actual quality and X factor to justify the name.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 14:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Problem is, the products we get in the name of premium are anything but premium. They are basically just a notch above WagonR-Tiago quality, and we pay touching 7 figure sums for them.

I believe that over the past decade, we've only had the original Jazz, the Polo TSi and the Fabia that make the cut as premium hatchbacks, with actual quality and X factor to justify the name.

You forgot the i20. Compared to the options we have currently, it's a true premium hatchback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks