Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2007, 22:31   #1
BANNED

The True "Premium" Hatchbacks

guys, the true premium hatchbacks are the upcoming Skoda Fabia, Fiat Grande Punto, Honda Jazz . These would be the real premium hatchbacks in terms of :-
  • Size (length and wheelbase)
  • Build quality
  • Interiors
  • Space and comfort
  • Features
and all would be priced a notch above the current B+ cars. in the 4.5 - 6 lacs bracket depending on the variants. i think these cars would really revolutionize this segment after swift and can be considered truly premium.

Last edited by sanchits : 10th August 2007 at 22:36.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

WHt about the ones already here, the Chevrolet SRV and the Ford Fusion?
Old 10th August 2007, 22:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

i would exclude JAZZ from this list.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:44   #4
BANNED

the chevy SRV is a great car in terms of space and comfort. but its priced way above the 4.5 - 6 lacs bracket. chevy would have to price it atleast a lac cheaper to be considered a contender. otherwise it doesnt make any sense for buying a 7.5 lac car just for space and comfort. it should also have all the other features of a premium hatchback and also should be priced lower than atleast the C+ segment cars. in terms of safety/luxury features it doesnt even compete with the swift.
this car can work only if they price it lower and add some safety/luxury features with better interiors.

Ford fusion is good car, but somehow it doesnt look like a typical hatchback and looks like a hybrid of a hatch - suv and doesnt look as good as the upcoming hot hatches in flesh.
this car might prove to be a serious contender, provided if ford comes out with a newly designed fusion.

Last edited by sanchits : 10th August 2007 at 22:47.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Contendor or not, SRV is a premium hatch too. Sales will pick up if they plonk the Magnum diesel into it.

Now, whats the point with the thread?
Old 10th August 2007, 22:50   #6
BANNED

how can you exclude jazz, it is a honda city without a big boot.
it is built on the same platform
has the honda name and quality
spacious(a.l.a - honda city)
+ safety features.
What else do you want in a premium hatch.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:56   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Contendor or not, SRV is a premium hatch too. Sales will pick up if they plonk the Magnum diesel into it.

Now, whats the point with the thread?
i do agree its a premium hatch but doesnt even have all the safety/luxury features a premium hatch should have now a days and that too at a price that is higher than most of the c segment cars.
it might sell well with the diesel engine, considering they keep the price at 7 lacs and lower the price of the petrol version.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
..and can be considered truly premium.
The concern at this stage is that they'll be in too premium a category to succeed as a segment. We would like good cars like the Grande Punto to be affordable enough that it matters to both sides - customers and mfrs.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:02   #9
BANNED

hey, if you like SRV, great, you can take it as a contender.
but, as my personal opinion goes, i dont think its a viable option at that price. a "premium hatch" should have all the features considered premium.
i dont want to fight over SRV. personally i dont take SRV as an option for a premium hatch for that price and features.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:09   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The concern at this stage is that they'll be in too premium a category to succeed as a segment. We would like good cars like the Grande Punto to be affordable enough that it matters to both sides - customers and mfrs.
hey, they cant price it below 4.5/5 lacs, dont compare them with the current B+ segment, lets compare them with the premium c segment cars which costs upwards of 6.5 lacs like honda city, maruti SX4, hyundai verna.
these cars would cater to the people who want cars with great build quality,features,safety, space + decent size boot(much bigger than swift) but dont want to spend upwards of 6.5/7 lacs just for a bigger boot.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:13   #11
BANNED

the base models would be priced at 4.5/5 lacs for people who can compromise on safety/luxury features but would get a car with great space/comfort and build quality.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:14   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

NHC hardly comes with any safety features. Atleast in India. And going by Honda's history in India, it could be as ridiculously priced as the SRV. Would it be in contention even then?

Infact, there is no point in speculating regarding the pricing. Any of the above manufacturers can either price their cars ridiculously high or do a shocker like what Maruti did with the SX4. Until the prices come out officially, it is a pointless debate. Also, do note that Indian variants might not get even 60% of the safety features that we get abroad.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:21   #13
BANNED

hey, we have to get used to higher priced hatches. otherwise we wont be able to see great hatches like VW polo or the newly launched fiat "bravo" or other great international brands coming to india with their hot hatches. Lets come out of the mindframe of a hatch being a small car and a car without boot cannot cost above 5 lacs. people have accepted swift at this price range, which is not big or spacious also has a minuscule boot.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
guys, the true premium hatchbacks are the upcoming Skoda Fabia, Fiat Grande Punto, Honda Jazz . These would be the real premium hatchbacks in terms of :-
  • Size (length and wheelbase)
  • Build quality
  • Interiors
  • Space and comfort
  • Features
and all would be priced a notch above the current B+ cars. in the 4.5 - 6 lacs bracket depending on the variants. i think these cars would really revolutionize this segment after swift and can be considered truly premium.
"i see, curious - confused, are you"
in true words of yoda

no no never skoda fabia in the premium segment, why would you say that!
the Punto and Jazz i-dsi is in a way different class
copies, self copies and more copies!

since everyone already speculated PREMIUM segment
only one word rises : Safety & Price

but these days who cares " kick the bucket & get it done with".

Quote:
hey, we have to get used to higher priced hatches. otherwise we wont be able to see great hatches like VW polo or the newly launched fiat "bravo"
Why?
just price them appropriately in the market and let the cars do all the talking, thats what the swift did do in the market, am i not rite!
thats the only reason why we welcomed the swift!
i wonder how many of you will welcome a 8 lakh and beyond hatch

Last edited by xinome : 10th August 2007 at 23:27.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:25   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
hey, we have to get used to higher priced hatches.
If that is the way to look at it, then as someone mentioned the SRV also deserves a mention in the thread. After all its almost an Optra without a boot. And Optra in its segment oogles with comfort, build quality too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks