Team-BHP - My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/276951-my-brand-new-tata-safari-has-been-fully-disassembled-edit-dealer-offers-full-refund-10.html)

Everyone are sitting ducks when the govt or law cannot act against clear manufacturing defects. Just one strong law is enough. Anytime the business tries to cheat they must impose 1 crore fine per incident. These tatas, marutis all will fall in line.
Throwing hapless customer under the truck is dictatorial rule.
Absolutely toothless laws, no deterrence.
One only gets lucky to get a car without issues. Otherwise it’s nightmare.
Very sorry for your experience and I wish things would change in overall customer rights area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vellatechie (Post 5718206)
Difference between a Tata and a Mahindra is that when an updated Mahindra is launched, it's an actual improvement over the previous year vehicle...... And unlike Mahindra they don't know how to fix the issues.

Pretty much sums it up.
Tata now makes fantastic cars, I totally agree that their engineering is pretty decent now.

However, MnM may have teething issues - at least they work towards a resolution. What all have they done for me on *one* Thar?

1. Changed two alloy wheels. Reasons aside, no one does this.
2. Changed my stereo system a few times. I've found a long term fix in using an external android box that uses the carplay protocol (thank Jayanth!)
3. Changed my AC system due to a mild fogging issue on the windshield.
4. Set up some software for me the way I wanted it.
5. Changed an amaron battery. Simply stating 'repeat issue for the customer' despite a clean chit report on the battery from amaron. At home. Hats off.
6. Changed my entire wiring - engine bay and interior harnesses without one issue coming up subsequently. Minor fit and finish I handle myself.
* this despite significant rewiring and accessories. Generally, people say 'warranty void', but not these guys.
7. Gave me a new bumper to fit outside professionally since I have a winch, via insurance claim. Even painted it to the color of my choice free of cost.
8. Windshield replacement SOS within 2 hours as I was driving to the hills despite a full service station and no prior appointment. Do you know that they actually upgraded the windshield to a thicker one (it's a service circular issued in 2022) due to the high incidence of breaking? Talk about making continuous improvements..
9. Gave me standby parts (a hub, brakes and wheel) since I had to drive 900 kms one way the next day, for a week.
10. Gave me a cab and a driver to roam around Leh as they flew parts in from Chandigarh for me due to a sensor issue, documented elsewhere, that had clogged up the DPF to 'unrecoverable' (which they fixed anyway, somehow.)
11. I met R. Velusamy at Cheyyar and the 4x4 team actually followed up with me for feedback for months subsequently. They were most concerned about how they can make my ownership experience better. Shout out to Dhanush and his team!

Most of the above are OEM'd off to other vendors. Still, they take accountability. And they'll try to meet you halfway.

Service guys may be a hit and miss, but are generally good to work with. And one way or another, the service GM generally resolves problems. :thumbs up
Unlike other manufacturers who push you to sit in the lounge, the MnM guys do not mind if I inspect things under the car. And they'll speak openly existing issues and workarounds.
-------

Tata? I bought one punch for them for my grandmother. Post payment, zero accountability. Flat out refused to fix some issues with the car day 1. Day 2 said we must have broken something? The start stop system is obnoxious and can actually completely stall on an incline - bad news! The car feels lifeless at 2k RPM if you have the AC on and 3 people in the car. And they've generally abandoned the 4x4 market, so I'm over them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 5720552)
A good product is one that is in the market for at least 01 year so that all QC rough edges are fixed. :thumbs up

Even 1 year is too less of a time to get a near-perfect product, especially for our desi manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra. It took 3 years for the latest thar's suspension to be improved. XUV 700 still has irritating bugs and niggles even after 2.5 years of launch.

It appears that these manufacturers need atleat 3-4 years to deliver a final product and by that time, they launch a facelift thus creating another cycle of agony and the cycle repeats.

With that being said, I hope OP makes as much noise as possible to get the required attention. I have personally shared it in as many relevant groups on Facebook as I could.

The issue is still not resolved. We are still in talks with them and the next update by them will be by Monday.

I am planning to share some of my experiences soon.

Your support by any means is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzrockz (Post 5718188)
Just yesterday evening, i saw a brand new tata safari cross me at a junction here in West Pune. Unregistered and with plastic covered seats, this was as new as one can get a car. What shocked me was the led line on the tail, was only 1/4 th lit... Probably the owner and his family sitting inside the car were oblivious to. What is surprising is the fact that such cars get delivered from a company like Tata... Or probably it's not surprising at all. How many more years will it take for Tata? Is the customer still a guinea pig. Goes to show how the PDI is not just important, it's critical!

This is exactly what I saw just last evening. A brand new Safari without registration plate, probably being driven home from showroom after delivery and the rear led connecting light is off on the left hand side. I guess the passengers didn't even know. One of the major reasons why I'd never buy a Tata car even if they sell a range rover for 15 lakh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 5721113)
This is exactly what I saw just last evening. A brand new Safari without registration plate, probably being driven home from showroom after delivery and the rear led connecting light is off on the left hand side. I guess the passengers didn't even know. One of the major reasons why I'd never buy a Tata car even if they sell a range rover for 15 lakh.

While this is not acceptable, it looks like the excitement of the new car gets to the new owners, and they don't really check even such basic things as all lights glowing or not.. isn't it?

If they knew, I am sure they would have wanted it fixed before taking delivery and driving it around.

We recently did PDI for Safari using Zekardo - the guy was knowledgeable on the well known issues like moisture in a portion of the tail lights, non functional half tail lights and such. So knowledge is available around - it is us, the consumers who don't do the due diligence.

Anyways..

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 5720897)
Dear SLN,

Having been through this post, it clearly seems to be a case dealer mischief. Either, they sold you a vehicle that was used as a test car or invoiced to someone else and returned before registration.

Either ways, have you contacted any higher officials at Tata directly, and not through the dealer? Dealers will claim lots of things but chances are the company officials are unaware of this matter. Don't take the dealer's word on this.

Can the moderators or senior members point SLN to a senior person at Tata and escalate the matter? Email or phone number, any direct methods.

From my past research here are a few contacts. This is not some confidential information - I got it from the internet although I had to put in some efforts to find these. Also people move and these might not be very accurate - although I think they are, and I had gathered this information recently. I can tell you though I am not hopeful that anyone will get a response or any help from them. Seeing how many people are complaining about so many issues with their cars, I doubt these gentlemen are able to get through all the emails they must be getting daily - they may have even stopped reading emails. rl:

Girish wagh president tata motors - girish.wagh@tatamotors.com

Mayank pareek - president tata motors - mayank@tatamotors.com

Chairman tata N Chandrashekaran - nchandra@tata.com

Ratan tata - rntata@tata.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln (Post 5721071)
The issue is still not resolved. We are still in talks with them and the next update by them will be by Monday.

Your support by any means is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Do share a link of this thread with the dealership and any of the Tata officials you might communicate with. That should be a catalyst for a quick resolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels (Post 5721219)
I doubt these gentlemen are able to get through all the emails they must be getting daily - they may have even stopped reading emails.
]

Thanks, zippy_wheels. The head honchos of the company usually get their mails read to them by their secretaries and they do make note of it.

I know this because we had a while back written to Ratan Tata and he was gracious enough to reply. Although, I vaguely remember that the mail ID we addressed was different from the one you mentioned here. It's worth a try. I no longer work with that organisation and cannot source that ID now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 5721113)

I saw one too in Bangalore. Brand new Tata Safari with only left side tail lamp lit. Felt sorry for the owner.

Extremely sad to see that the owner has to go through all the pain even after paying 33L.

Refund, refund and only refund. The replacement may be another lemon and you will be where you are.

Drag them to court. It’s a long process but no other way out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 5720363)
Drove the car for 10 years and replaced it with a 700 AWD last year. Covered almost the entire south India and Goa during these period.

Till this morning, I have never faced with a single niggle.

Congratulations and I am really happy for you. But that is exactly my point. If you take a sample 100 Hyundai or Suzuki or Toyota customer on one hand and another 100 TAMO or Mahindra customers on the other. What do you think the percentage ratio of complaints would be?

I have been driving a i10 for 13 years and now a Toyota customer and I am simply amazed by the level of effort they give to service to earn your satisfaction. When I talk to Tata owners it's quite the opposite.

It all boils down to how you treat your employees. If one don't care for its employees then there is bound to be resignation. The service stations are left with inexperienced folks. You can definitely optimize cost by minimising QC but at the expense of a shabby product.

With Safari you are buying a 30 lacs flagship lottery ticket. If you are lucky then no niggles. Otherwise you can park your car in their service station for eternity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wooka (Post 5720996)
Pretty much sums it up.
Tata now makes fantastic cars, I totally agree that their engineering is pretty decent now.

However, MnM may have teething issues - at least they work towards a resolution. What all have they done for me on *one* Thar?

1. Changed two alloy wheels. Reasons aside, no one does this.
2. Changed my stereo system a few times. I've found a long term fix in using an external android box that uses the carplay protocol (thank Jayanth!)
3. Changed my AC system due to a mild fogging issue on the windshield.
4. Set up some software for me the way I wanted it.
5. Changed an amaron battery. Simply stating 'repeat issue for the customer' despite a clean chit report on the battery from amaron. At home. Hats off.
6. Changed my entire wiring - engine bay and interior harnesses without one issue coming up subsequently. Minor fit and finish I handle myself.
* this despite significant rewiring and accessories. Generally, people say 'warranty void', but not these guys.
7. Gave me a new bumper to fit outside professionally since I have a winch, via insurance claim. Even painted it to the color of my choice free of cost.
8. Windshield replacement SOS within 2 hours as I was driving to the hills despite a full service station and no prior appointment. Do you know that they actually upgraded the windshield to a thicker one (it's a service circular issued in 2022) due to the high incidence of breaking? Talk about making continuous improvements..
9. Gave me standby parts (a hub, brakes and wheel) since I had to drive 900 kms one way the next day, for a week.
10. Gave me a cab and a driver to roam around Leh as they flew parts in from Chandigarh for me due to a sensor issue, documented elsewhere, that had clogged up the DPF to 'unrecoverable' (which they fixed anyway, somehow.)
11. I met R. Velusamy at Cheyyar and the 4x4 team actually followed up with me for feedback for months subsequently. They were most concerned about how they can make my ownership experience better. Shout out to Dhanush and his team!

Most of the above are OEM'd off to other vendors. Still, they take accountability. And they'll try to meet you halfway.

Service guys may be a hit and miss, but are generally good to work with. And one way or another, the service GM generally resolves problems. :thumbs up
Unlike other manufacturers who push you to sit in the lounge, the MnM guys do not mind if I inspect things under the car. And they'll speak openly existing issues and workarounds.
-------

Tata? I bought one punch for them for my grandmother. Post payment, zero accountability. Flat out refused to fix some issues with the car day 1. Day 2 said we must have broken something? The start stop system is obnoxious and can actually completely stall on an incline - bad news! The car feels lifeless at 2k RPM if you have the AC on and 3 people in the car. And they've generally abandoned the 4x4 market, so I'm over them.

I am intentionally not deleting/pruning the above message so that anyone reading this in isolation gets the whole view and does not have to look for the earlier post to get the drift.

Does this not look like Mahindra is testing vehicles in real-life with users as "test cases"? So many parts being replaced/repaired clearly points out to serious issues with fine-tuning of the product before release and also highlights lack of mature Quality Control processes.

I agree both Mahindra and Tata have come a long way from where they were before but both manufacturers seem to have an unusually high number of issues with vehicles delivered on the road compared to other International manufacturers.

The other serious gap is the R&D budget as a ratio of their revenues. When you look at these numbers compared to a Hyundai or Kia or Ford or Honda, you see the stark difference.

Last but not the least, many a times products are "rushed" to market with a hope that any issues subsequently found will be fixed with replacement parts.

Please do not get me wrong and send brick-bats my way. I am in absolute admiration of their progress but worry about the insensitive handling of Indian customers not realizing that Indian customers have matured as much as global customers in terms of expectations and value. They also take mis-advantage of the fact that our country has very weak consumer protection laws and extremely slow courts.

Same products sold by Tata Motors and Mahindra in comparatively smaller automobile markets (South Africa, Australia and other African countries) have far more features and more rigorous QC. So this is sheer apathy to Indian customers and nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmuser (Post 5718752)
I still wonder how on earth people has the courage to put their hard earned 30+ lakhs on a Tata automobile. Why you can not buy something like Innova or even a Hilux for the same price or even 5 lakhs more which you will get it back when you sell it anyway? Or even Volkswagen/Skoda (in my opinion, used to be one of the worst brand when it comes to Customer Service and Quality issues) is still a better bet even though I would not touch it even with 50% discount. Tata has a Fiat, Aisin, Bosch parts put together and as simple as that. Tata owners, pardon me on this blatant abuse but I am furious here and I feel for this guy who is at cross roads haplessly.

Past is past.

TBHP seniors and people with contacts in TATA top hierarchy, PLEASE PLEASE help him in whatever capacity possible. My humble opinion is to file a Consumer Court case and fight until you get your money's worth. It is worth fighting. This is simply unacceptable and I really feel sorry and sincerely pray you should gather strength and courage to fight this legal war. We are here with you. Please publicize his ordeal via Social Media and tag as many as possible especially in Tata.

I agree. This is just plain stupid from Tata. Sales are going through the roof and this is what they are giving to their customers. I hope you get your whole money back somehow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenRoads (Post 5721420)
What do you think the percentage ratio of complaints would be?

now a Toyota customer and I am simply amazed by the level of effort they give to service to earn your satisfaction. When I talk

I should have included this information in my original post, but I initially deemed it off-topic.

Six years ago, I replaced my second Punto with a Ford Ecosport. Despite being known as a gas guzzler, the 1.5 automatic model, the maintenance costs are remarkably low, and the service provided by the Ford dealer, now sadly reduced to a service center, is excellent. The servicing is also remarkably quick, often completed in less than six hours.

The team working there faces a bleak future, yet this has been my firsthand experience.

Regarding Toyota, I replaced my Duster with an 11-year-old Corolla Altis purchased from a relative. The Duster 110 was my favorite car due to its driver-friendly acceleration and manners. It was also fuel-efficient, but its reliability was lacking. The extended warranty was the only thing that spared me from exorbitant service bills. I experienced two injector failures and a rotary AC compressor failure. Overall, slightly over 1 Lakh worth of replacements were made under warranty, without a single dispute or discussion at the counter.

When I took my Corolla for its 1.3 Lakh kilometer service, I was treated as if I were bringing in a new Land Cruiser for its first service. The service cost was one-third of what I paid for the Duster at the same mileage.

In my honest assessment, Ford and the EcoSport, despite being more complicated car compared to the Corolla and Duster with features like paddle shifting and six airbags, excel in reliability and product support.

I am seriously watching the thread that discusses the potential return of the Ford Endeavour. :)

I am sorry the trouble you are going through

Seeing the photos I feel its unacceptable. Whenever I buy a new car, somewhere at the corner of my mine there will be a thought running that I shouldn’t end up such issues because these days this type of issues are common that too with a new launch

Even my friend also a BHPian here faced similar issue with his Creta soon after the purchase

I would recommend to insist for a new replacement car