Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 11:36   #31
BHPian

Re: The things you miss about your ex-cars

My previous car was 2009 Civic SMT and the the thing I miss the most about it is its steering feedback. Comfort and Handling are other two things but they don't bother me that much.
Old 18th March 2024, 11:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Current car: Linea T-Jet
Previous car: Swift Petrol 1.3L

What i miss:
The lovely way it used to rev up to 6.5k rpm without batting an eyelid. Loved the gear shifts.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:52   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I miss the middle-finger-giving-capability of my Old Tucson. Bad roads, no roads, dividers, parking separators, nothing mattered to it. The GC, the tyre size and rugged yet sublime suspension components were so confidence inspiring.

I miss that engine too. When the turbo spooled, it was a red light rocket!!

Had the damn NGT not poked its nose, and if it was a more supported model by Hyundai, I would have definitely retained it as the second car.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:10   #34
BHPian

Previous car: 2008 Swift Vxi 1.3L
The G13B engine was a hoot beyond 4K RPM. Loved the way it revs cleanly to 6.5k rpm and reaching 100 kmph in 2nd gear itself! Enough is said about the handling and stability; no drama in corners or body roll. Stick to the line and keep revving. It certainly was a pocket rocket in the hands of right driver.
emkay.india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:32   #35

Hello,
Back in 2001 my dad had a Alto. It was brand new however it later got crashed
into in 2003 so there are not much pictures.

Things i miss

1) I liked how there was a storage cub by area on the dash to hold things like sunglasses and so on (and the rearview mirror which kept falling off)

2) I liked how it looked, it looked modern even for its time the car had many dents by 2004 due to my moms careless driving yet it looked stylish compared to our old 1989 Padmini

3) THE SPACCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, growing up i was very small so whenever i think about the car i think about how big it was

And that concludes it,
i hope you found this interesting
here is a link to some images and specs https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/s...02.html#agal_8
Old 18th March 2024, 13:37   #36
BHPian

Here is what I miss about every car we have owned till date -

1984-95: Premier Padmini

a. Watching my dad drive the car with the column gears and it being the fastest car when he used to drive on Marine Drive/Worli Seaface

b. Sitting between mom and dad in the front bench seat

c. All the fun my sisters and I used to have in the back seat (it was quite spacious or we were very small, whichever way you look at it)

d. The Fiat logo on the steering wheel and the grill in the front

1996-98: Toyota Corolla

a. This was in Dhaka and it was a 1986 model. It was so quiet on the inside. Maybe I felt that way because I was coming from a Premier Padmini

b. The feeling I used to get when it reached 120kmph because the Padmini barely did 90kmph

1998-2001: 118NE

a. I miss the box shape because we could sit on it so easily when it was in the parking of my building in Colaba

b. The back seat was very comfortable for me for my school rides

c. Giving lift to my school crush back then.. I have some memories with that car.

2001-03: Ambassador with the Isuzu 1.8L petrol engine

a. First car I drove. I learnt on this car.

b. Miss the living room feel. It felt like a mini house with my family in it.

c. The light Jagjit Ghazals that always played in the car.

d. The size of it when I used to drive it. It was a little heavy

2003-10: Ford Ikon 1.6 Rocam Engine

a. I miss driving this car. I did my best times from airport to Colaba via Tulsi Pipe road with this car.

b. The handling was magical.

2006-12: Maruti Baleno with the original 1.6L Japanese made engine

a. It used to corner like its on rails. I have had some very memorable drives from Delhi to Jaipur in this car.

b. The feel of the cabin was very nice and I also miss the driving position. It felt like I am only a few inches above the road.

2010-2015: Tata Nano LX

a. I miss all the fun I had in it with my colleagues back then. We went on drives around town and we were 5-6 in car and had a total blast.

b. Well, I had some good times with my then girlfriend in this car. You'll know what I mean. I miss that car and have some great memories.

2015 onwards: Tata Nano Genx Manual and Hyundai Grand i10 automatic are current drives.

Last edited by sjain2054 : 18th March 2024 at 13:38.
Old 18th March 2024, 13:41   #37
BHPian

My Previous car was 2006 Suzuki Swift. I miss that GB13 engine, which was a free revving engine. The car had a stiff suspension setup and decent dimensions, which gave it very sporty feeling.
Old 18th March 2024, 14:02   #38
BHPian

The Auto down window on my Alto K10. Its not there in my Ecosport (Trend). And its frustrating to this day, even after 6 years with the Ecosport.
Old 18th March 2024, 14:13   #39
BHPian

I've owned a Maruti WagonR LXi Duo, a 2012 Ford Figo Titanium TDCi, 2017 Tata Tiago ZXA, Ford Aspire Trend TDCi, 2016 Ford EcoSport Trend+, and now Skoda Slavia 1.0 Ambition AT.

While I don't miss anything from the WagonR (40K kms), I do miss some aspects of every car I've owned after.

Figo:

1. Linear acceleration
2. Precise steering and weight - the best I've had
3. Ride quality on the highways, and chuckability through the corners - it's close to unbeatable
4. The space it offered in that small footprint, and the usable boot space. You could carry the world with the rear seats folded and tumbled. I've even used it to sleep on occasions.
5. The speakers were among the best. Even with 8 speakers, Tiago's Harman system couldn't match the quality of the Figo.
6. Fuel economy: Averaged over 16.5 kmpl throughout its 68.5K life with me.

I had a DieselTronic box installed, and enjoyed it to bits whenever I felt like it (like driving up Goa's ghats), though I was more an economy-oriented person. It had upsized tires and RogerAb spacers on the rear (removed the ones on the front after it started to understeer) for those heavy family runs.

Tiago:

1. The Sport mode - it would transform the car a-la-Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde.
2. Well-tuned suspension - was more than one could expect in a small car.
3. AMT - the gear changes were pretty seamless (it was easy once I understood its behavior and learned to modulate the accelerator accordingly) for an AMT. I appreciated it more going down Anshi ghat where it would hold on to a lower gear even at higher speeds. Didn't expect an AMT to be that intuitive (maybe from a low bar).

I had it for about 53K kms - averaged a bit over 16 kmpl as it was mostly driven on the highways.

Aspire TDCi:

1. Torque monster - for its meager body weight, the 1.5 TDCi felt like a bomb. There was always power on tap even at unmentionable speeds. Coming from a no-torque (it felt like) world of Tiago, it sure made me happy on every highway drive.
2. Fuel economy - I've derived 27.8 kmpl on the MID from Bengaluru to Hyderabad at consistently >100 kmph speeds. Safe to say it was at least 24 kmpl tank-to-tank.

Aspire was more of an exchange with a friend, so I had it only for 21K kms. With no ABS, I had to find something that was safer.

EcoSport TDCi:

1. The ride quality over broken highway stretches - one doesn't need to slow down.
2. Stability over curves - never felt like driving a tall SUVish stance over the curves. The steering was precise and confidence-inspiring.
3. Split folding rear seats were a boon. Gave a lot of options - I've moved a refrigerator over 100 kms once, and a top-load automatic washing machine for about 700 kms another time. I've made a bed for my dog in the back while still carrying enough luggage.
4. While the engine felt a bit lethargic coming from an Aspire, it had the grunt when needed.

I just gave it away after buying it pre-owned and driving 54K kms in 2 years and a month. It averaged 17.49 kmpl through that period.

The story about Slavia is for some other time. It's covered 4.7K kms in 1.5 months, so still early days.

Last edited by Vikki@Hyderabad : 18th March 2024 at 14:16. Reason: Added a bit of info.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:14   #40
BHPian

The things you miss about your ex-cars-img_7748.jpeg
Among all my past cars, VW Jetta 2001 USA was my favorite. The unmistakable 1.8T, Wolfsburg edition, Turbo petrol 155 HP. What a machine. The vehicle had manual gears as I had liked. It had both driver and co passenger one press down and up windows. Very much missed in my Ecosport. Then it was the build quality. The diminutive compact sedan was heavy and powerful. I had so much fun, the only car I felt of driving cross country with.
I remember once I was returning from Houston to Dallas and very heavy rain started falling. That kind of rain was like 4 inches in 30 minutes. The vehicle was rock solid with all that rain smashing. Inside I felt very secure.
I wonder if there will be any other like the Jetta.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:29   #41

When it comes to missing an old car of mine, it's the 1999 Matiz. It's not because of the car being more mechanical than the Grand i10, but due to my excessive involvement with the car throughout the 17 years of ownership. The Grand i10 is more like a fill it, shut it, forget it type of car. Whereas, for the Matiz, especially during the later stages of its life, I had to plan a lot, not only to source parts but also to keep it running. Moreover, back then, I used to drive much more than now and had spent some cash on certain mods like wider tyres(165/65 R13 Bridgestone Potenza G3s), Pioneer cassette head unit(KH 8450 if I recall correctly) , TS2150 speakers, K&N air filter(my brother had gifted it to me) etc. The car was an excellent handler in the corners. I had done multiple interstate trips with it and still remember the day I had hit the top speed of around 150 KMPH on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. Compared to it, I have done almost zero modifications on the Grand i10. Moreover, daily running is also much lesser.
Old 18th March 2024, 14:46   #42
BHPian

The car that I really miss is my Ford Figo Diesel, which I sold in 2020.
The handling and the joy of stepping on the pedal is something that I haven't discovered in hatchback till date. It always felt connected to roads and the driver.
Old 18th March 2024, 15:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

The only thing I miss among my older cars is the fabulous hydraulic steering in my Fiesta 1.6s. That was a quick one, very communicative and made the drive insanely fun. Don’t think I will ever get that feeling in any of the future cars.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 15:55   #44
BHPian

Previous car: Fiat Punto Evo 1.3 MJD
What I miss:

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/fia...nto-evo-14.jpg

I miss that lively and lovely hydrolic power steering!! I drive a Jeep Compass now and its steering is not bad by my standards but Punto’s steering had a character of its own. Not matched by anything I have driven before or after.
Old 18th March 2024, 16:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

I had Ertiga VDi previously with me and it has wonderful and fuel efficient Fiat Diesel MJD engine. It was low on power but on highways it used to be in its own characters. Once turbo is kicked in, this small engine surprises you and can do 100 KMPH all day along. What I miss most is it's efficiency. It used to give me 20-21+ kmpl easily on highways with full AC on and 4-5 people + luggage on board. In city also it used to give me 15-16 for diesel which simply great.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks