Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2024, 06:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

The things you miss about your ex-cars

Let me preface this thread by saying that I absolutely love my current car, a 2021 Subaru WRX STI with a huge spoiler to boot But the other day I got into my car, and kept my sunglasses in the cubby below the car stereo and remembered how my previous car, a 2012 Dodge Charger AWD R/T had a special case mounted about the rear view mirror just for holding sunglasses. And I missed that! That got me thinking what else do I miss about the car? And then what do other people miss about the last car that they owned? Hence this thread. So, here are a few other things I miss about that car:
  1. The red color and the looks. I took good care of the car and did not let its paint shine deteriorate at all over the 8 years of my ownership. As a result, to the day I sold the car, it was a head turner.

The things you miss about your ex-cars-ecc7ac89dcda45fa9496ba641c95893b.jpeg
  2. The V8 grunt and the straight line acceleration. The fact that I still have this video tells you how much I miss it

The things you miss about your ex-cars-engine-bay.jpg
  3. It was a very capable grocery-getter too. So much so that it had a net in the boot to hold all your groceries. I wish all cars had that by default.

The things you miss about your ex-cars-bootspace.jpg
  4. Another little thing was the net screen that would pop up when you opened the sunroof. It was supposed to keep the bugs at bay and judging by the dead bugs it used to collect, the thing did its job well. Or maybe it did not but it was a cool feature that I liked to show off. No picture of that. Sorry

These are the little things that I miss about that car. I did not include things like how spacious it was because, well, I intentionally went for a smaller car when I replaced it, and I do not regret it.

I am sure you all have even more interesting things to share.
amitoj is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 07:43   #2
BHPian

re: The things you miss about your ex-cars

Most of my older cars had a temperature indicator which shows up as a scale from blue (cold) to red (hot) and we all know that the indicator should not go beyond the mid point.
My 2013 Mahindra Quanto had this.

My 2013 Mahindra XUV500 does not. It has just a simple blue and Red LED. I have fortunately never seen the red led light up - but it's crazy not knowing how close the engine is towards being in the red zone.

I also had a 2005 Honda City CVT that also did not have a guage, but just an LED.

Coming to TPMS, right now I have an accessory that shows the tire pressure of each tyre. I dread the day my newer cars will simplify this and make it just a warning LED instead of showing me a number.

The world wants to make life simpler. In the process it's making people dumber.

Last edited by deep_bang : 17th March 2024 at 07:45.
deep_bang is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 07:57   #3
BHPian

That charger looks eye-watering for all the right reasons if you know what I mean!
Anyway, I moved from a 2003 model Mahindra MM540 Jeep to a 2022 model Maruti WagonR Automatic. Drastic change, yes. Here's what comes to mind in terms of missing from the previous car:
1. The insane levels of torque along with a 4WD low which could be trusted just about anywhere at any time. The small car on the other hand just does not have the physiology to be capable of that.
2. The truck-like ground clearance which allowed to embarrass my cruel neighbour who used to keep boulders on the road to make me go on a round route. I used to simply drive over the rocks but now I can't.
3. The ROAD PRESENCE! Just about everyone and everything goes white in the face when they see the jeep approaching. A feeling that can be replicated only by a few vehicles even today.
I'm not going to talk about other points that we're not missed or where the WagonR shines better etc since that's not the point of the thread. Anyway, closing off with a pic. The jeep is around 15 years old in this picture and went on to look the same till the day I sold it in 2022
The things you miss about your ex-cars-img_20180617_180636_1920x1440.jpg
that_sedate_guy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 09:18   #4
BHPian

Fantastic thread .

Our previous car was the Honda City 4th Gen.

The things you miss about your ex-cars-20140406-11.06.45.jpg

What I miss about my previous car:
  • Space: The Honda City had more rear space for three people compared to our Slavia.

• Fuss-free ownership experience: While our Slavia doesn't have major issues, minor ones like rattling noise can be irritating. We didn't face anything like this with the City.

• Low maintenance costs: I remember our City used to get serviced at extremely low costs, around 2000-3000 rupees.

• Refinement: The car was extremely smooth and refined! You couldn't hear a thing while on the go.

Do I like it more than the Slavia? Hell NO. While the City was a good car, the Slavia is just better in almost every aspect, whether it's performance, interiors, or even something as basic as music quality!

Last edited by MotorDev : 17th March 2024 at 09:26.
MotorDev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 09:43   #5
BHPian

I often wish that I hadn't sold him away; my first love, 'Shehenshah'.
We had so many firsts in our lives in the 12 years that we were together and the thrust that your FCA 1.3l DDIS BS4 diesel engine used to give me, still leaves me wanting for more.
If only you would've been an automatic or I didn't have the ACL reconstruction done on both my knees.
Man, I miss you, Shehenshah.

Last edited by Zinger_Winger : 17th March 2024 at 09:45.
Zinger_Winger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 09:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The TSI + DSG combination backed by a stage 2 remap on my Vento, that car was an absolute hoot to drive. My current Hector is a very Sedate driving car and unable to provide that aderaline rush which you yearn for once in a blue moon.

Hector on it's part keeps the entire family happy with the plush and comfortable ride both in city and on highway.
AtheK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 10:21   #7
BHPian

We currently have a 2022 Honda City. While it is better than our previous 2009 i20 by miles, some misses are shocking to say the least. Here are the features that our base spec i20 had, which the City top trim misses out on:

1. A huge glovebox that was cooled
2. Adjustable rear headrests
3. 60:40 split foldable rear seats
4. Overall sound insulation was on par with the City, if not better
5. Engine refinement at idle. We could never tell whether the i20's engine was running or not!
6. Better quality of buttons, dials, switches, etc. in the i20. It was truly built to last, and last it did!
7. Larger, more usable cupholders
8. No rev limiter. i20 used to rev till 6500 rpm at idle
9. Removable rear seats

In short, even the base spec i20 was mighty impressive for its time. Yes, it was far from being fun to drive, but since it was our first new car, it holds a special place in my heart. In fact, I miss the very presence of the i20, 20 months after selling it

The things you miss about your ex-cars-img_20220904_214218.jpg

The things you miss about your ex-cars-img_20221231_152618.jpg

Last edited by CentreOfGravity : 17th March 2024 at 10:36.
CentreOfGravity is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 10:32   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The things you miss about your ex-cars

The only real car I miss from all my exes is the 1st-gen Honda City Vtec. It was wildly fun <100 kmph, and wildly scary above 120 kmph.

It was a lot of fun to rev from 0 - 100. It was a lot of fun to drop a gear at 40 kmph and then take her to 7100 rpm in 2nd gear.

In many ways, I see a lot of similarities between the City Vtec & RX100 (also an ex of mine). Basic vehicles, only fun because of their rev-happy always-on-fire engines. Other than the motor & slick gearshifts, they were both poor handlers at speed.

Things I miss:

- 7100 rev-happy NA engine. The best NA engine I have ever owned, and among the best India has ever seen. In the world of 2-strokes, the RX100 is among the best India ever saw.

- Purity of the hydraulic steering wheel. Same goes for my Civic too, it had a beautiful steering.

- With both these vehicles, you could have fun even at 60 to 80 kmph.

GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 11:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

The driving enjoyment. Enough said.
Attached Thumbnails
The things you miss about your ex-cars-img_4398.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 11:34   #10
BHPian

The space especially boot space of my Vento. A proper sedan with decent power (1.6 MPI) And above all I miss the fact that I would have had no EMIs going if I had kept the car till date
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Coming to TPMS, right now I have an accessory that shows the tire pressure of each tyre. I dread the day my newer cars will simplify this and make it just a warning LED instead of showing me a number.

The world wants to make life simpler. In the process it's making people dumber.
Thanks for reminding me about this feature! The Charger also had this and it was indeed quite useful. Some time ago, my minivan developed a slow leak and it was so frustrating. I am not good at remembering minor details so every time the light went on, I would have to check pressure on all 4 tires.

Your last statement is so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
We currently have a 2022 Honda City. While it is better than our previous 2009 i20 by miles, some misses are shocking to say the least. Here are the features that our base spec i20 had, which the City top trim misses out on:

1. A huge glovebox that was cooled
2. Adjustable rear headrests
3. 60:40 split foldable rear seats
4. Overall sound insulation was on par with the City, if not better
5. Engine refinement at idle. We could never tell whether the i20's engine was running or not!
6. Better quality of buttons, dials, switches, etc. in the i20. It was truly built to last, and last it did!
7. Larger, more usable cupholders
8. No rev limiter. i20 used to rev till 6500 rpm at idle
9. Removable rear seats
That's a mighty list! Now I remember that I also had heated/cooled cup holders. We didn't use them much though.
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 15:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I really miss the ‘14 EcoSport we owned

What I really miss about it: Perfect size for Indian roads, stellar handling-chassis marriage, a very connected steering feel and rock-solid stability on the highways. Felt like an absolute Tank to drive.

A splendid car and a perfect handler in its segment, and even today mind you nothing comes close to one. The rock-solid stability was unmatched, and only two-segment higher cars like the Jeep Compass can match it.

Early EcoSports were great since later on Ford India started cutting costs and made the steering duller as well, the precise steering and great chassis were a match made-in-heaven.

Although the engine we had was the 1.5L Ti-VCT Petrol which was pretty average for a car like the EcoSport, it did fine in the lighter Fiesta but felt underwhelming in the EcoSport.The DCT was a popular option with this engine but we had the manual. The 1.0L EcoBoost was a better engine but its maintenance was/is on the higher side.

How I wish we hadn’t sold it, I learnt driving in it in 2020. In 2023, moving away from home to a remote location, and not having a car at disposal is a pain in the butt. The EcoSport would’ve fit the bill perfectly. We sold it in 2021 (right before Ford announced its exit from the Indian Market) for lesser than what it was worth…

In comparison I haven’t been to connect with our ‘17 Creta in the same way, till date.

Even today the interiors or exteriors don’t look outdated at all, unless you are after a touchscreen. Even the stock media system was fabulous by today’s standards !!

The things you miss about your ex-cars-cc344fda6f4c4b3abe03b2b1df0afe12.jpeg

The things you miss about your ex-cars-737e13e0196d494da84cbb66268d6f04.jpeg

The things you miss about your ex-cars-78afd0b7f7884586b2d196751361f345.jpeg

The things you miss about your ex-cars-1c834709516247bcab6a29906d09d2a3.jpeg

The things you miss about your ex-cars-8f31196988b1409794aa99988fb0b5f7.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 17th March 2024 at 15:28.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 16:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not miss anything whatsoever about any of my ex-cars at all. Might sound a bit weird, surprising, out of the blue, unusual, fake, untrue, mischievous, misleading, stone hearted and also concocted as most of the trailing posts truthfully describe about the missed features and so on.

The truth is that I have never ever sold any car or two wheeler I owned and so there's no question of hits and misses. I use all these cars and two wheelers on different occasions depending on where I have to go at that time of the day. We have four of them now (three cars are mine and one car of my better half). Also I do not upgrade frequently.

And yes, I miss those go anywhere by making your own road, 4x4 government jeeps that were allocated to me during different years of service. They shaped my driving skills and were the ones with a body and soul. One of these that was with me since brand new for five years was my heartthrob. So much so, that I would sometimes clean it myself and attend to its running repairs, though we had men and the workshop facility too. I remembering driving on cart tracks in the rural hinterland with overgrown shrubs rubbing on its either sides, the body and canvas hood canopy. It did these tracts flawlessly also traversing though mud /slush and water/ streams/rivulets and so on. Being in rural areas we didn't get good, pure petrol but all it needed was getting its slow jet, cylindrical brass mesh and sometimes the carburettor cleaned to be in the best of health and give smiles across the miles. And yes engine oil changes were done earlier than recommended 2500 km intervals owing to the dusty conditions in which these operated. But in government service, transfers are inevitable and no one can have a permanent stake on government property beyond his tenure. Its like a relay race and you can foresee that your time to go away has come. One has to leave behind all government property at its place and move on to his next posting. Someone else comes in your place.

And when its a brand new jeep in use by you since day one, all through its tender baby step months viz the careful, running in period and till much later, no words can describe the passion, fondness and love straight from the heart that grows over the years.

I also bet that nothing comes ever close to those tried and tested old generation jeeps to traverse those very hostile terrains, not even any 4x4 from the presently offered ones by carmakers.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th March 2024 at 16:29.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 18:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Peugeot 309 SRi - I miss the delicate steering/handling balance of that car

Honda City Vtec - The noise and steering

Skoda Octavia vRS - The sleek looks and the raw acceleration

VW Jetta - High speed handling and mile munching capability
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 18:09   #15
BHPian