Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2024, 23:41   #61
BHPian

Re: My diesel car crossed the 10-year mark | MCD seizes & tows away the car to a scrapping agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxDiesel View Post
Hi,

Since my car will be parked in a private parking inside my house away from public eyes, do I still need to get the Affidavit and submit it to MCD so that they don't come and tow away the car?

Also for future when I need to use the car in other state will I be able to get the NOC to transfer the car?

Also do I need to submit the Affidavit now or should I wait for the expiration date?
The affidavit is needed when your car has been impounded the first time after registration expiration. It does help in completing the release procedure.

Although I cannot confirm this, there have been reported instances of vehicles being impounded from private parking spaces as well.

However, there is little clarity on this subject. It may be a good idea to check with the MCD officers or an agent to see if the affidavit is to be submitted to show your intent about keeping an expired registration vehicle.

The idea is to prevent impounding and save all the subsequent trouble that comes with it.

The affidavit will state that you will not ply the vehicle on the NCR roads. If it is found plying after submitting the undertaking, the car will be towed away straight to the scrapper. There is no recourse for a 2nd offense available in the new law drafted on 20.02.24.

The affidavit also needs to back your claim of a parking space. This is done by:

1. Sharing the approved MCD building plan to show that the parking space is available.

2. Sharing the occupancy certificate of the building with MCD. (There could be alternative documents to show occupancy, such as the power bill)

3. Picture of the parking space

4. No objection certificate from a shared parking owner will also be needed as part of the affidavit annexure.

Once you have submitted the affidavit, you can keep the car in the private parking space after MCD has accepted it.

Should you change your mind, you can apply for the NOC within 1 year of vehicle registration expiration in Delhi. Normal lead times for the NOC are around 3 months.

However, even after getting an NOC, you will need to transport the vehicle outside Delhi to the intended destination through a truck or moving company.

I can understand your emotional connection with the vehicle. Beyond a point though, it will become tough to retain the vehicle unless it is converted into an electric vehicle.

The Government of Delhi is setting up empanelled contractors for the conversion of Diesel vehicles to electric vehicles.

I think we need to give the Government some time to work out the conversion or retro-fitting process and mechanism.

The new policy does encourage owners to convert diesel vehicles (10-15 year olds) to electric vehicles. As of today, I do not think we have any approved agency for electric conversion in Delhi (I may be wrong though).

Keeping the vehicle is a tough task.

Transferring the vehicle out of Delhi may be a better option. And, completing the entire process at least 6 months ahead of the expiration is a bright idea to save any hassles later.

That is what I have learned from the practical events that unfolded over the past 2 weeks.

Best of luck.
Let us hope that we can save hassle and time for peple.
rdhawan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 08:50   #62

Re: My diesel car crossed the 10-year mark | MCD seizes & tows away the car to a scrapping agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
The affidavit is needed when your car has been impounded the first time after registration expiration. It does help in completing the release procedure.

Although I cannot confirm this, there have been reported instances of vehicles being impounded from private parking spaces as well.
Thanks for the response.

Are diesel cars deregistered/ registration expired after 10 years automatically? My RC states its validity for 15 years which is 2030. So as per 10 year ban my car will be deregistered from RTO database?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th April 2024 at 11:30. Reason: Formatting.
Old 18th April 2024, 22:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxDiesel View Post
Thanks for the response.

Are diesel cars deregistered/ registration expired after 10 years automatically? My RC states its validity for 15 years which is 2030. So as per 10 year ban my car will be deregistered from RTO database?
The process of seeking NOC from the Delhi Transport Department is a part of the process. If you do not get the NOC, your car will get automatically deregistered in due course of time.

The bottom line is that you cannot keep the car beyond the prescribed limit.
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 12:39   #64

I have an almost 10-year-old DL registered car. My questions are:

- Can I give it to a relative outside of the NCR for use for a couple of years, while keeping the DL plates?

- Can I apply for an NOC in Delhi to transfer elsewhere after a couple of years when we finally decide to sell it?

- I want to avoid getting it re-registered right now in the relative's name to avoid paying road tax again when the relative only needs it temporarily.

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2024, 18:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_TSG View Post
I have an almost 10-year-old DL registered car. My questions are:

- Can I give it to a relative outside of the NCR for use for a couple of years, while keeping the DL plates?

- Can I apply for an NOC in Delhi to transfer elsewhere after a couple of years when we finally decide to sell it?

- I want to avoid getting it re-registered right now in the relative's name to avoid paying road tax again when the relative only needs it temporarily.

Thanks.
You cannot keep a 10 year old registered vehicle in your name and number plate in Delhi.

It will get de-registered automatically or impounded in due course of time.

So, the only way to beat the ban is to transfer it in your cousin's name and address.
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 16:01   #66
BHPian

Just curious, are the scrappers actually scrapping it or selling in other states for far higher price?! I am not familiar with this car but a random check shows it is worth Rs.6 lakhs in KA for a 2013 model! With about 1300kg, it is only Rs.25k scrapped, ignoring towing etc.

With such differences in scrap vs resale value (even if less in North), it would seem practically no car really gets scrapped? Is that why they are so hungry & go right on midnight like domain name squatters? I suppose they have fixed "costs". I suppose it was not a random case of roving patrol finding a vehicle but active tracking and returning exactly on 10.001 day to grab it?

Last edited by ggkg : 25th April 2024 at 16:09.
Old 25th April 2024, 16:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_TSG View Post

1. No - Your vehicle will itself be illegal with DL numberplate as it's doesn't have a valid registration - if you haven't got NOC from Delhi RTO.

2. Yes - you can apply for NOC in Delhi - but you have to re-register the vehicle within 90 days in the state of your preference before selling it off - maybe even after 2 years beyond NCR zone. Mind well, upto Bhiwani in Haryana & Muzaffarnagar in U.P. falls under NCR.

3. You can save the tax by this way - shifting outside NCR on just having a valid NOC, but after 90 days of NOC issuance, it can be impounded on sight - even outside NCR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks