Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 01:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Well, they're not doing badly, in terms of sales and volume. Their top seller, the Santro has been overtaken by its successor, the i10. I think introducing the i10 was a significant step in HMIL's India plans, because that caters to the main segment of the Indian auto market. Small cars, after all, account for close to 80% of car sales in the country.
Once the dust settles on the i10 venture, we'll most likely see the next step... as some say maybe the Accent being replaced by the i20. Let's wait and watch.
Old 30th March 2008, 02:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Its tough competetion

Well there are many reasons for this. The real success stories for Hyundai are: Santro, Accent and the i10.
i10 has overtaken Santro, which is now selling in mid 4K.
The setback in C segment for Hyundai is Verna. Although it is considered doing well, it is not doing as well as a car with such a diesel is expected to do.
Hyundai is not able to meet the internal targets with Verna.

Swift made the Getz irrelevent. In a similar fashion, Fiesta made Verna look as incomplete package. Accent will be soon phased out. Santro will continue with diesel and Alternate fuel options.

But the real reply is this. Hyundai lost its excessive aggressiveness becuase of the setbacks it had to take. Sonata, the SUV's offered simply failed, but the ultimate blow was Getz. The Getz is the worst failure one can expect. It was better than most of the cars, but still it never took off. The diesel did nothing to revive the sales. Verna was expected to take the lead from Honda City because of diesel engine, but both SX4 and City have shown that diesel engine would do great only for a certain segment, not everywhere.

Hyundai has now made a good comeback with i10, but after the initial huge succes rate, the sales of i10 went down and also the sales of Santro are going down. And Hyundai is mad behind exports. Presently India is the only country where Santro/Atos is being made. So the overall concentration is lost for the exports resulting in overpricing of Getz and upto some extent the, i10.

i10 is mainly a city car, and frankly speaking, Santro is also a good city car. Positioning the i10 was really difficult for Hyundai. The high end i10 is very close to Indigo CS. So the real thing would be to replace the Santro entirely with i10. Not everyone can sell successive generations of automobiles like MSIL. Hyundai lost a lot of its customer base to other manufacturers becuase of the poor or rather confusing positioning of Santro/i10.

And this has given setback to Hyundai, which expected the i10 to go for the amount of sales Santro did. Its too much expectation and the focus is lost in the exports.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th March 2008 at 02:25. Reason: Typing error
Old 30th March 2008, 08:41   #63
BHPian

if they can't sell getz in first place how they can think of selling i20 which will be definitely bigger better than current getz.

As per ET i20 will be only for the exports.. this may indicate that getz will be continued in indian and for some other countries..

also i20 is definitely not for accent replacement as one is hatchback and other is sedan...

I guess as per pricing hyundai wants it to be a premier brand like honda ..

But then they them-self start comparing / competing with brand like maruti which is VFM brand.
( remember satro-wagonr comparison's ad's by Hyundai? )

They should stick to one catagory or else create another Hyundai brand which will either be premium brand ( read i10 i20 , i30 etc ) and keep all oeter read ( santro , accent , getz ) in the VFM brand..
Old 30th March 2008, 08:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

All the bigger cars -elantra,sonata,Terracan,Tucson never deserved the fate they had in India.I strongly believe its just a matter of time for Hyundai to build a snob value for their brand.
ram
Old 30th March 2008, 09:31   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

This topic has been discussed in various forms before - ranging from Subbu's departure to insipid current management.

Merging with existing topic.

Last edited by theMAG : 31st March 2008 at 00:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks