Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 17:05   #31
BHPian

What about those old dirty trucks being driven on right fast lane always releasing BLACK smoke?????????
Old 24th August 2007, 17:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
The problem is our rulers do not think with a long term perspective. Its always a patchwork that they carry out.
i second that........
Old 24th August 2007, 19:26   #33
BHPian

Government Plans to Ban Diesel Cars

Hi All,

The High court is giving a consideration to ban all the diesel cars in Delhi. The articles mentioned below suggests that thirteen cars running on Diesel creates a pollution equivalent to a bus.

Personally i feel this should be implemented as well. Why the subsidy on Diesel should be granted to anybody who could afford cars like Skoda Tdi?

link to the article

Diesel cars may be banned[/COLOR]

Mod's Note: Please search for an existing thread before you open a new thread. Threads merged.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

This should be applicable for Diesel cars used on commercial purposes. I doubt if the HC would direct the privately owned vehicles to be phased out unless it is not road worthy.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:38   #35

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

if diesels do get phased out,i wonder what will happen to tata??
Old 25th August 2007, 02:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

i think the ban on diesel cars is only meant for commercial vehicles that is taxi's included and not private cars. you anyways have to get a road worthy certificate so if your car fails that then out it goes.
Old 25th August 2007, 12:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

IMO the perception that Diesel Vehicles pollute more than petrol is responsible for this move by the court. The Automobile manufacturers should educate the authorities including the court about the non polluting nature of modern diesel engines.

The emphasis should also be on enforcement of the norms that have been implemented, providing the right quality Ultra Low Sulphur diesel and on regulating the transit of non Euro three compliant vehicles thru the NCR. You cannot have thousands of polluting trucks that meet no pollution norms negate the effects of CNG and pollution norm compliant diesel and petrol vehicles just because these norms are not implemented through out the country . The govt should also implement the Euro 3 norms throughout the country immediately
Old 25th August 2007, 13:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Take all this with a bucket load of salt, Delhi HC Motor dept have no work so came up with this, i am sure the judge must be himself coming to the court in a Indica 1.4 NA Diesel
Old 25th August 2007, 20:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think the ban on diesel cars is only meant for commercial vehicles that is taxi's included and not private cars.
No this ban is for private vehicles however a lot depends on what the feasibility report say's.

Quote:
The Delhi High Court on Thursday gave the government two weeks’ time to file a status report on the feasibility of banning diesel cars and make compressed natural gas (CNG) mandatory for private vehicles.

Thirteen cars run on diesel cause pollution equal to one bus running on the same fuel, the report said.
How can the city be rid of the evil of pollution if every sixth or seventh BMW and Mercedes is run on diesel,” Justice Mudgal observed.

Government counsel Mukta Gupta submitted that a ban on diesel cars or “private light motor vehicles” would only be viable after a legislative amendment in the Motor Vehicles Act.
“The Act, as it stands now, can not ban diesel cars. Unless and until a specific amendment is introduced in the motor vehicles law, we cannot reject the applications for registration of diesel cars,” Gupta argued.
She said the Bench should direct the Surface Ministry to push for an amendment in Parliament.
I wonder why they are talking of the Bmw's and Merc's.

Source:
Diesel cars may be banned
Old 26th August 2007, 19:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i think the ban on diesel cars is only meant for commercial vehicles that is taxi's included and not private cars. you anyways have to get a road worthy certificate so if your car fails that then out it goes.
You think wrong, my friend. Read the article. The court, which has far exceeded its area of responsibility, wants to ban private diesel vehicles:

"The Delhi High Court on Thursday gave the government two weeks’ time to file a status report on the feasibility of banning diesel cars and make compressed natural gas (CNG) mandatory for private vehicles."
Old 26th August 2007, 20:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
First of all Euro III in petrol and Euro III in diesel are different. Petrol Euro III is always better than diesel Euro III. Thats what I think.
srishiva, why don't you have a look at the actual Euro standards at:
European emission standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You'll see that diesel is quite competitive with petrol, better in some areas, worse in others, but both are converging.

Quote:
CO is converted to CO2 in petrol cars (that why they have cats). Right now its wrong to say Diesel is cleaner than petrol (that would be a joke).
If all of the CO were converted to CO2, the Euro standards could easily set the CO level to zero for petrol engines. They're not.
Not to mention that C02 is a greenhouse gas.

Quote:
The current developments in diesels (bluetec, Honda clean diesel, VW clean diesels) will be on par with petrols. But not yet. CRDi is not at par with current petrols.
You may be disregarding the fact that petrol engines are thought to increase emissions with age, while diesel remains somewhat stable. Regardless, what sense does it make for the judiciary to act as minister of technology and ban a technology which has great benefits for India and other countries with comparable pollution levels to petrol?

Quote:
Only advantage of current diesels over current petrols is less CO2 and ofcourse efficiency.
Here are a couple more:
1. Diesel engines last longer (due to having to be built stronger for the different kind of combustion). Have the honourable judges considered the cost of throwing away cars every few years as they do in the "advanced" countries?
2. Diesel engines are able to idle easily without overheating. That's important in a hot, crowded country like India where one would like to keep the AC on at rail crossings and traffic snarls. As to whether what holds more value, banning diesel to stop pollution or comfort, that's for the people to decide in a democracy. Who elected the high court judges prime minister?
3. Diesels don't require tune-ups like petrols do. I.e., no spark plugs, and no replacements. It takes energy (and hence pollution) to create spark plugs, does it not?
4. Diesel is much less volatile than petrol. You can't just throw a light on diesel and have it erupt in flames. Combined with the fact that it doesn't have spark plugs, the risk of fire in an accident is much less. I could image a PIL asking to ban petrol cars because of the fire risk, why is only the value of pollution (not even proven) greater than other values? Only the people can decide on such values in a democracy.
5. Diesel greenhouse emissions are much less than petrol over the entire energy cycle, both well-to-tank, and tank-to-wheel:

Compre "Diesel/ICE" to "Gasoline/ICE"
6. It consumes less energy (and hence releases less polluion) to refine diesel vs. petrol.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:39   #42
BHPian

Plain curiosity- what does it take to have CNG 2 wheelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Diesel is a clean fuel. Among the five main pollutants like CO, NO etc diesel pollutes the least in the most dangerous ones (carbon monoxide the most dangerous which is not visible to naked eye). It is high on SPM which is the least dangerous in the list. Two-wheelers pollute 4 to 6 times than a regular transport bus.
Might be a crazy question but just wanted to know what is it that is needed to have a CNG based 2 wheeler ?

subbarp
Old 26th August 2007, 21:28   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

That article is quite ambiguous. It mentions
Quote:
gradual phasing out pollution-causing diesel cars
and
Quote:
ban on diesel cars and stopping registration of new diesel cars will be only possible after amendment of the Motor Vehicles Act
in the same breath.

Its one thing to ban 10+ years old non common-rail diesels while a different matter altogether implicating modern diesels. Technically, its said that a well designed diesel engine is cleaner than a comparable petrol engine.
Old 28th August 2007, 10:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Here are a couple more:
1. Diesel engines last longer (due to having to be built stronger for the different kind of combustion). Have the honourable judges considered the cost of throwing away cars every few years as they do in the "advanced" countries?
2. Diesel engines are able to idle easily without overheating. That's important in a hot, crowded country like India where one would like to keep the AC on at rail crossings and traffic snarls. As to whether what holds more value, banning diesel to stop pollution or comfort, that's for the people to decide in a democracy. Who elected the high court judges prime minister?
3. Diesels don't require tune-ups like petrols do. I.e., no spark plugs, and no replacements. It takes energy (and hence pollution) to create spark plugs, does it not?
4. Diesel is much less volatile than petrol. You can't just throw a light on diesel and have it erupt in flames. Combined with the fact that it doesn't have spark plugs, the risk of fire in an accident is much less. I could image a PIL asking to ban petrol cars because of the fire risk, why is only the value of pollution (not even proven) greater than other values? Only the people can decide on such values in a democracy.
5. Diesel greenhouse emissions are much less than petrol over the entire energy cycle, both well-to-tank, and tank-to-wheel:

Compre "Diesel/ICE" to "Gasoline/ICE"
6. It consumes less energy (and hence releases less polluion) to refine diesel vs. petrol.
Nice write up. cheers !
Old 28th August 2007, 15:34   #45
BHPian

NO they can not.if they do it then they must be crazy.

i have heard that in europe most people prefer diesel cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks