Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 21:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market

I recently purchased a Volvo XC60 @ 70 otr. At this price, the space, comfort, luxury and features are unmatched. Maybe a close one would be an Audi A6. I feel it's aging wonderfully in terms of looks. One to have in 50-70 price range if you desire a suv.
nmn.070 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:24   #32
BHPian

I don't think anyone in this segment buys for "VFM" nature, and TBH - folks on this thread should also answer following q's:

1. Have they ever thought of buying VFM in this segment? How would they define VFM? is this the best car in a particular segment with lowest price?
2. Have they bought a "VFM" car to prove this hypothesis? (this would probably be answered by luxury car owners who are posting on this thread).

--

Having said that, I have a fun excel sheet that ranks the cars basis a bunch of starter level criteria's, and here you go (sorted by increasing OTR BLR price order).

Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market-car-comp.jpg

I believe BMW 3 series, Audi A6 and Disco sport are truely VFM cars (with creature comforts and can actually be used on a day to day basis)

Last edited by LordSharan : 23rd May 2024 at 22:27.
LordSharan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 23:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq.
Well engineered, spacious SUV with all wheel drive and sprightly performance. Add the buttery-smooth automatic transmission with its quick responses to accelerator pedal inputs.
The 2022 refresh also added Skoda's Dynamic Chassis Control, (adjustable dampers), adding further to the big Skoda's driving appeal.
With very good discounts being offered all round the year, the Kodiaq is seriously a good buy

Last edited by arjab : 23rd May 2024 at 23:41.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 09:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I don't think anyone in this segment buys for "VFM" nature, and TBH - folks on this thread should also answer following q's:

1. Have they ever thought of buying VFM in this segment? How would they define VFM? is this the best car in a particular segment with lowest price?
2. Have they bought a "VFM" car to prove this hypothesis? (this would probably be answered by luxury car owners who are posting on this thread).

--

Having said that, I have a fun excel sheet that ranks the cars basis a bunch of starter level criteria's, and here you go (sorted by increasing OTR BLR price order).

Attachment 2608812

I believe BMW 3 series, Audi A6 and Disco sport are truely VFM cars (with creature comforts and can actually be used on a day to day basis)
I agree with you. And your Excel sheet is quite comprehensive, I like it.
sh3lby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 10:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post

Interesting Excel with the comparison of various offerings based on price/lakh. With the advent of electric cars, I think you should include the latest EV offerings as well such as BYD Seal, BMW i4, Volvo C40 Recharge, Hyundai iONIQ5, and Kia EV6.

Last edited by deep_behera : 24th May 2024 at 10:47. Reason: FIxed Minor Formatting Issue
Old 24th May 2024, 11:11   #36
BHPian

One can't have value for money and luxury in one sentence in my opinion. The only time they come together is when you buy a used luxury car.
I always felt Skoda Superb was the ultimate bang for your buck car. I bought a brand new one in 2011 only to realize the amount of money one loses when you try to sell it.
Let's say I want to buy an m340i. Currently it's around 80L OTR Delhi. You can buy a 2nd hand one driven under 20k for around the 55L mark. This I feel is Value for money.

The excel sheet above reminds of the good old days with the Autocar magazine. At the back of every magazine they had this brand wise OTR prices with features, bhp, GC, pros and cons etc. Anyone remember that? I use to spend hours on those pages to find the perfect car at every major price point.
13thpsycho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:13   #37
BHPian

VFM? In which world are the M340i and i7 "value for money"?

Clearly the manufacturers have succeeded in warping our minds about the cost of these cars; we have some of the worst priced cars in the "luxury" segment.
Bhodrolok is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 15:11   #38

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I don't know if Hyundai will ever launch Ioniq 5 N Line here. But considering where the Ioniq 5 is priced at, that could be a real contender in sub 1Cr category for the luxury and performance it carries.
Old 24th May 2024, 15:24   #39
BHPian

I want to discuss two cars here. Even though Skoda isn't traditionally considered a luxury brand, since some of us have talked about the Superb, I'd like to shift the focus to the Kodiaq. I find it to be an excellent value for money option at the moment. Recently, I booked one, taking advantage of a special offer that includes a 2.4 lakh discount off the ex-showroom price, along with some additional benefits.

Now, onto the second car. Of course, opinions vary, and that's what makes our forum conversations so interesting. I'm sure some of you might have different perspectives. For me, despite its smaller and perhaps less powerful engine compared to its competitors, I really like the Range Rover Velar. Its sheer road presence makes it a standout value for money choice in its price range. I feel that it's an affordable Range Rover.

Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market-rangerovervelarlandroverrangerovervelarexterior.jpg
₹itzylove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 16:44   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread title says "VFM luxury" cars. For me, "fast" and "beautiful" are mandatory criteria for "luxury".

BYD Seal does 0-100 in 3.8s for 55L. Kia EV6 and Volvo XC40 Recharge are faster for a few more lakhs but I don't like their looks so they don't meet my criterion for "beautiful". A sub 3.8s ICE car is out of question on the "VFM" criteria, I don't know if there is any below 1cr.

So for me, BYD Seal Performance is the VFM luxury car in our market
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:06   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

All luxury cars are skyrocketed in terms of pricing in last few years. Buying them brand new just doesn't make sense unless you have business where you can claim many benefits. For me, buying them in resale only make them VFM. One can get as good as new car when its only 1-3 years old and generally all these luxury cars are pristinely maintained. So buying one in resale only make it real VFM buy.

In next 2-3 years I am planning to buy one for myself. Off course I will be going for 3-4 years old car with low running on odometer. I keep searching them in between on Spinny or Cars24 or OLX and there are some really tempting deals. I am sure if I sit on table with cheque in hand, deal will become even more sweeter as these cars generally have very less buyers compared to other cars. I started dreaming already
Old 24th May 2024, 21:13   #42
BHPian

VW Tiguan

Luxury for me has been cocooned in peace, blocking out the noise and just enjoying the quiet. Touch materials should feel plush and the door just has to sound right when it shuts. The Tiguan checks all the boxes for me.

The two litre TSI engine with a seven-speed DSG box is my first continuous exposure to exceptional engineering and boy they have delivered. Relentless.

AWD drive again ensures the grip levels are consistently above what my ability demands.

Now coming to the VFM part, I get to enjoy all this for 40 lacs on road Bengaluru.

PS : The sense of comfort and performance are all relative as I am coming from a Maruthi Baleno. Peace
Air_Kerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 23:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedgarage View Post
BMW M340i
Attachment 2608728
At 72 Lakhs you're basically getting a inline-6 sleeper sedan with more than 300BHP that's more than enough. Yes the BYD Seal gives 500BHP at 20 lakhs lesser cost at 50 lakhs but its electric and cannot give the sound of the B58 from the 340i. Although it will be a pain to drive it in the city as the car lacks adaptive dampers which its cross/SUV counterpart the X3 M40i has at a price of 1 crore.

Used Mercedes ML/GLE
Attachment 2608729
A used 2nd hand ML/GLE 250 CDI makes up for a great daily driver with adequate performance. With plenty of ML 250 CDI's flooded in the used car market it won't be an issue to find one although you will have to be careful to find a well maintained accidental free one.
Buying a used Mercedes/BMW/Audi is not a bad idea but it is a decision that needs to be taken with a lot of thinking - first, if the car is accidental free, second, how and where the car has been serviced(either a 3rd party garage or authorized dealer) and third, the odometer running.

Sometimes, buying a used from the authorized dealership itself is hassle-free, even though it is pricier, mostly because some of these cars have Certified Pre-Owned warranty. But it is only for cars that are like 3-4 years old or less. If those cars are sparingly used, it is even better. Plus, one can buy depreciation insurance if the owners wish to upgrade while selling this one without facing higher loss.

However, some buyers for new cars make some compromises, which can be either good or bad - take this example, relevant or not, an entry level BMW 2 series or a Mercedes A-class will miss out some features which the top-of-the-line Honda City will have. But the brand name matters, so buyers may overlook that.

Regarding the comparison between BYD and BMW, I would still prefer the Beemer, not only because of trust issues regarding Chinese products, but also because the BMW has more excitement to drive. If EVs was in the options, the i4, the e-tron will be a viable options as well. Tesla is to be avoided, mostly because their quality assurance is pathetic - take it to a regular car wash and the paint comes off.
Old 25th May 2024, 02:46   #44
BHPian

The real value for money car was BMW 530d.. For us enthusiasts, it is the heart of the car that matters most.. that engine was in a league of its own.

Another beautiful offering was Skoda Octavia VRS.. Cars like these cannot be replaced.

I am waiting for Skoda to announce some good offers on the CBU units of Superb which will make it again VFM..

Lastly, I just took a very long test drive in an Audi Q3.. After discounts, it is one gem of a crossover.. Very nimble and relatively luxurious.. With Quattro too.. Makes for a compelling case..
adityaNview is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 09:37   #45
Team-BHP Support

My value luxury list:

1. BMW M340i
Unbridled performance at an achievable price tag with that sweet 6 cylinder petrol engine. One the die hard petrol sedan enthusiast must have on his list in any sub 1 crore purchase decision. Hope their recent price creeps stay within reason though.

2. Skoda Kodiaq
A properly luxurious crossover / SUV at a (relatively) honest to goodness price. Better performance and better interiors than anything in that broad price segment (including 10 lakh above and below).

3. Toyota Camry (with current discounts only)
At its current discounted prices, this is a great purchase even with a new gen around the corner I’d say. A superbly comfortable, super economical car that you can own for 10 - 15 years of luxury eyes shut.

Ironic to see the Camry feature where in any other time and place one would have seen the Superb. Never thought a time will come when I’ll see Camrys sporting 8 lakh+ discounts and a Superb retailing for the current ridiculous price tag. I really hope the next gen of each of these cars remains in a palatable price zone. Will be a pity if they out-price themselves.

4. Byd Seal / Hyundai Ioniq
Supercar performance at value luxury Skoda type pricing. Sure it doesn’t boast the brand creds and interior plushness necessarily as proper Germans but the performance to price equation is really something that at least merits consideration.

Notable mentions:

Kia Carnival
I’m assuming this will come at a palatable price point but even if they bump pricing by another 10-12 lakh, it still makes an incredibly luxurious purchase, one like no other in that broad price segment. Possibly the only comfortable three row people mover that offers good performance (for an MUV), no holds bar luxury and the ability to travel for three rows of passengers with their luggage.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks