Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market

The prices of luxury cars have skyrocketed over the past couple of years, with cars like the C-Class costing almost twice as much as they did 5 years ago, it has become increasingly difficult to justify the prices of these cars. Which cars according to you offer the best bang for your buck?

To start us off, I believe the Defender is immense value in its base-configuration at 97L ex-showroom.

Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market-defender.jpg
As someone who doesn't care for most SUVs, even I can admit that the Defender really is something special. There's something about sitting in one that imparts an inexplicable feeling, I find it to be far more exciting than a GLE or X5.

Looking forward to seeing your candidates.

Last edited by kc0403 : 22nd May 2024 at 13:17.
kc0403 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market

BMW M2

Seriously incredible performance for 1cr ex showroom. Makes all other performance cars seem very very overpriced.
reignofchaos is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Still coming to terms with the price increase of the last 2-3 years that even an Alto doesn't feel VFM.

Purely academic, will add the X3 and Macan to the list. The Defender with a proper engine spec will cross 1.5 crores, rather go for an X5 or GLE 450d or Discovery. Though it excites me that one can buy a 3 door Defender with inline 6 diesel or V8 petrol in India! Kudos for such an extensive line-up.

On the sporty side will add the A45 AMG and M340i, though the price of the latter has gone up.

Would have loved to mention but the C300D is no longer there, Vellfire price been increased by 50% with a generation change and the C class pricing has pushed the 320D prices up with the normal wheelbase stopped.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 22:24.
DicKy is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Since it's VFM and luxury together, I would give my vote to Audi A4.

It was available for 46L Delhi on discounts IIRC for a good while and many members here as well as a cousin of mine, picked it up for prices very close to that. Think about it, it costs equal to or less than a Fortuner!

The A4 does everything right, from luxury to performance. The backseat is a bit of a downer (it was good for a person of my frame) but I suppose that's the same for competition as well? Additionally, I can't recall any reliability issues whatsoever with the vehicle and Audi Gurgaon (Gurugram) experience has been top notch.

For me, this is unbeatable VFM luxury.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 22:24.
Doonite is online now   (54) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0403 View Post
There's something about sitting in one that imparts an inexplicable feeling, I find it to be far more exciting than a GLE or X5.
Could you please elaborate on that indescribable feeling? I'm considering purchasing a BMW X5. I didn’t consider the Defender, as it felt too rugged and felt it wasn't luxurious enough, while also giving politician vibes like Fortuner. However, I did like the Range Rover Sport. Your insights could really help with my decision.
acedriver_9000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 16:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedriver_9000 View Post
Could you please elaborate on that indescribable feeling? I'm considering purchasing a BMW X5. I didn’t consider the Defender, as it felt too rugged and felt it wasn't luxurious enough, while also giving politician vibes like Fortuner. However, I did like the Range Rover Sport. Your insights could really help with my decision.
You have done a good job of describing the indescribable feeling
androdev is online now   (47) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
BMW M2
Had the chance to see one in person recently, looks even smaller in real life. Must be a hoot to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Still coming to terms with the price increase of the last 2-3 years that even an Alto doesn't feel VFM.

Vellfire price been increased by 50% with a generation change
Crazy times, I remember when they were selling the Vellfire with close to 20L off mid-2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Since it's VFM and luxury together, I would give my vote to Audi A4.
Haven't had the chance to check it out in person yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedriver_9000 View Post
The interiors do feel a little barebones but I honestly don't mind it. The ~ 1hr I spent in it was comfortable enough. The Sport is on a whole other level in terms of luxury; don't know if I'll be able to call VFM though at the 2.6cr mark. If you can stretch to the Sport, it really is something special and worth picking up.
kc0403 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 17:26   #8
BHPian

The Byd SEAL is the ultimate value-for-money car in today's market. With supercar performance and over 500 bhp at an ex-showroom price of 51 lakhs, it's truly a steal deal!
vattyboy is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 18:03   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I think it is only the Audis which appear VFM now, especially the A4 and the A6. Of course, this has been made possible only due to the discounts on offer.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 18:27   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Most VFM Luxury Cars in today's market

I am in love with the Defender, but its price has been really climbing lately. The good variants are pricey & the wait periods are long. "Defender" has become like the "Mustang", wherein even used market examples aren't depreciating at all.

Ultimate VFM luxury car today = Audi Q7. After discounts, I've heard of deals happening at prices lower than Merc's GLC. And that's with that wicked engine, space, suspension, AWD etc.

BYD Seal = Great all-round luxury sedan at a tempting price. The Volvo C40 Recharge is also a heck of a car for 60-65 lakhs.

Not outright luxury or a match to the Q7, but the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a proper big-size American SUV that feels good & butch. Heavy discounts make it a good deal.

Two BMWs are VFM in my opinion = the M340i for its practicality + performance combination, and the M2.
GTO is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 18:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the M340i is still a great value for money car, at 72.9 lakhs ex-showroom. The equivalent Mercedes offering C43 AMG is 99 lakhs and the equivalent Audi offering was 85 lakhs when it was still available last year (discontinued now). The powertrain is the same one that runs a 7 series (740 Li) and an X7 (40i) petrol versions, which cost 2-3 times more. You get the legendary B58 engine, a very effective mild hybrid system also AWD, all for a price that is 12 lakhs more than a regular 4-cylinder C Class or 3 series.
84.monsoon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 18:36   #12
BHPian

@GTO beat me to it.

Q7 on road at< 90L is great VFM. In international markets this is compared to GLE/GLS/X7.

Disclaimer: owning a Q7 from Jan 24. Second option was Jeep Grand Cherokee with some great discounts. For 15L higher on road price Q7 made much more sense.
ssateesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 18:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Very few premium cars can be called VFM in today’s world.

Audi A4: a most practical and value buy in a sea of overpriced and underpowered sedans. A proper 2.0 TSi when Merc gives you a Renault derived 1.3 turbo petrol.

Audi Q7: the ultimate value SUV, and a complete all rounder.

BYD Seal: nothing to debate about, simply the most value car in India bar none. Eats every 40-80L rupee car for breakfast. Supercar performance was never as accessible.

Skoda Kodiaq: the model may be old and outgoing, but is literally a 70L rupee car being sold for 45L. Punches well above its weight. How Skoda prices the upcoming new model remains to be seen. Hope the value pricing continues, that is the car’s biggest USP.

Jeep Grand Cherokee: massive discounts to be had, which make its net price fairly acceptable. Unique vehicle, rugged, and has the most powerful 2.0 petrol engine in its class

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd May 2024 at 18:41.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 20:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Ironically, what was most VFM luxury car, has become the most overpriced!

The Skoda Superb!
ajmat is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:06   #15
BHPian

X5 and m340i seem to be the most VFM packages.
They do everything one wants plus a little more.
On the lower end of the spectrum, Kodiaq and A4 are fantastic offerings.

If price no bar, then probably an X7 40i or Cayenne.

I wish Lexus would launch the new GX series now so that I could buy a used one 10 years down the line.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks