Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: WagonR v/s Santro v/s Indica - Which one is ur choice??
WagonR 70 37.63%
Santro 55 29.57%
Indica 61 32.80%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 10:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
This is because both fall in roughly same segments. A person can spend slightly more on WagonR to save on later running costs. It becomes really easy to spend 500-600 Bucks on filling up the tank on LPG vs Rs. 1820 on Petrol as psychologically many feel that the are actually spending 250 bucks only on petrol for going to that movie for the night or for submitting that form.

LPG kit can be installed in Santro at your own risk. I had also thought of installing a CNG kit in WagonR by going in for Rs. 40000 discount today on a Lxi but the current fire incidents are really horrifying. Safety comes above anything else.
That doesnt mean that the Wagon R is a better car, it just means that Maruti offers more options.

Quote:

Electronic Power Steering which adjusts according to speed and is a delight to use in city as against Hydraulic one in Santro. Hyundai has not kept this in its latest Verna.

4 valves per cylinder resulting in higher economy even after 1 lac km and better throughput by the engine. Santro has only 3 valves.
I actually prefer the power steering in the Santro. The Wagon R feels too light and you dont get as much feedback. Some people prefer the EPS though I still prefer the Santro's

As for the engine the Wagon R's unit feels a bit sluggish as compared to the Santro which has a little more torque.

Quote:

Japanese technology. Hyundai is also good but not as good as Japanese. Japanese products and games / toys also lasted longer. Normally Koreans like to make more attractive products by using a slightly lower technology. LG/Samsung vs Sony TVs is well known. Why is Sony priced higher although both look almost same.
I dont think its fair to give the "Japanese" Company the advantage here. Hyundai is larger than Suzuki and is in a lot more countries as compared to Suzuki so I dont think being Japanese is really an advantage here.

I dont really agree with your comparing cars to electronics but remember there have been a lot of crap Japanese products too like Sansui.

Quote:
WagonR is less wider so it's easier to move through the bumper to bumper traffic and it slightly less space is also ok for parking. High Boxy looks allow for carrying even small refrigerators inside the WagonR that's why the name wagon. It's easier to carry more luggage tucked up one over the another.
Do you really think the 3.5 centimetre difference is going to make driving any easier?

Also how often are you going to be carrying those refridgerators around?
The Santro isnt that much shorter than the Wagon R nor is its luggage carrying capacity that much less.

Quote:
WagonR looks slightly more fresher because of the recent makeover. However the new Santro 2008 version is likely going to be the best head turner. Santro sells more because of good pricing and better looks. Many people only go for looks and shy away from Desi Maruti factor which they do not like at the back of their mind even though the reliability may better in Maruti. But people are so rich nowadays that they have money to throw around. So they do not bother.
uhhm actually the people who buy in this segment do look for reliability and practicality and Santro's arent exactly unreliable either. Infact a Santro is one of the most reliable cars around.

Quote:
WagonR will have higher resale value because it is newer and Santro 2008 version will be available soon. It is a smarter financial investment and going by the rules of financial investment on NPV, WagonR is better.
IF there is an All new Santro in 2008 it also means that will be a lot more modern as compared to your Wagon R which is a pretty old design. A Santro cant be given negative points just because a new one is on its way. Compare the current Santro to the current WagonR.

Quote:
WagonR's AC is more efficient as I felt it. I need higher cooling power and the Santro standing in sun needed 15 minutes to cool and moreover the it's 'cool air' was not as good as it should have been. Even sitting inside the Santro, I was literally sweating. Only some time later I felt that it was better.
Quote:
Santro is also quite quiet when the engine is at idle which is good. Overall both are equally good however by spending 40000 rs more on Wagon R Duo you end up saving almost Rs. 121,254 'More' over a 5 yr period basis my usage of 1620 Km per month. And WagonR runs purringly even after 5 yrs because of that engine alone.

Also as per poll in this thread on Team BHP WagonR won -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-s-indica.html

Like I mentioned this topic never ends. So peace be there !
I guess for you the Wagon R seems to be a better option because of the factory fitted LPG option.Good Luck with your purchase. Anyways both the Santro and the Wagon R are equally good cars and it jsut depends on what you prefer.

btw this is my 1000th post.
Old 12th February 2007, 11:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

The debate never ends. Maybe in 2020 we will still be discussing the same.
Old 12th February 2007, 11:16   #93
BHPian

I have a Santro but I voted for Indica because it has better build, ride quality and is more spacious.
Old 12th February 2007, 11:36   #94
BHPian

I don't know if this will start another discussion. But, I did not expect Indica to do so well. It is second and ahead of santro. Though, I voted for Indica, i was very skeptical about it.
Indica is not a bad car, if you know what you are getting (It's all about setting your expectations right). I had some issues when I owned it but i was the happy the way car behaved.
Old 12th February 2007, 13:16   #95

Wagon R surely is the 'smarter' choice.. be it the engine, suspension, cabin space, steering, convenience features..!
Old 12th February 2007, 16:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
I sincerely hope both Santro and Wagon-R arent around till then
Old 12th February 2007, 16:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
I sincerely hope both Santro and Wagon-R arent around till then
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
And I also sincerely hope that, some moderator will close this thread by then The topic has been beaten to pulp long back and I doubt, if one can extract any more juice out of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks