Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 12:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

He should have said 'Coz Its Different'.. (in Javed Jaffrey style...)
Old 7th March 2008, 14:11   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I can only hope they don't paint the outlander like a clown mobile and offer it in straightforward colors.
Old 9th March 2008, 20:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Business Standard - Outlander story

This in the Business Standard today:

Mitsubishi to make Outlander in India

Mitsubishi to make Outlander in India

S Kalyana Ramanathan / Chennai March 08, 2008

Japanese car maker Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has decided to manufacture its sports utility vehicle Outlander in India, through its Indian joint venture with Hindustan Motors (HM), a C K Birla Group company.

The Indian JV currently manufactures the Lancer range of sedans, sells Montero, a premium segment sedan, and imports completely built SUV Pajero.

The company had earlier considered the option of importing Outlander as a fully-built unit for the Indian market.

Mitsubishi Motors’ President Osamu Masuko said at the sidelines of the Geneva Motor Show that plans were afoot to import Outlander into India either as fully knocked down or partly knocked down units.

Against importing a fully built car into India, the other two routes would save as much as 70-80 per cent in customs duty, thus enabling the company to go for competitive pricing. Outlander at present is sold in other markers at around $29,000 to $30,000 (around Rs 12 lakh).

Masuko said that though the Indian venture was not a great success so far, the Japanese partner would commit larger resources for making the Indian operations more successful.

“We will continue the good relations (with our Indian partners). We have no plans to buy them out,” Masuko said.

“We could not concentrate so far (on the Indian venture) due to limited resources,” he added.

Though the company does not plan to enter the compact car segment in India, it hopes to treble its sales to 10,000 units a year over the next two years. However, this does not include sales of HM’s own offerings, Ambassador, Trekker, Porter and Pushpak range of multi-utility vehicles.

Masuko, however, did not elaborate on the strategy his company would adopt to achieve the goal of trebling sales of the Mitsubishi range.

He said that future success of the venture including its plans to assemble Outlander would be pegged on greater localisation. Hindustan Motors has three plants in India, one each at Uttarpara, Pithampur and Chennai.
Old 9th March 2008, 21:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

All said and done, one has to give credit to HM-Mitsubishi for thinking about price and positioning. Kudos to them for making the Outlander here rather than taking the CBU route and falling back on the "we want to build brand image with a premium product and limited volumes" spiel. Thank you for not treating Indian consumers like idiots. Even with a petrol engine, it seems compelling compared with other offerings in the market.
I walked into a Maruti showroom today and showed the GV to my wife. Somehow we weren't convinced - It just doesn't feel worth the money they are asking for it. I'm hoping the Outlander will be different even if it costs more.

Last edited by StarScream : 9th March 2008 at 21:06. Reason: addition
Old 9th March 2008, 23:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Do they have plans to discontinue the old Pajero after introducing the Outlander? Prices would be pretty similar I would imagine.
Old 10th March 2008, 00:10   #66
BHPian

Recently heard that the pajero might be off the track once outlander acquires throne
Old 10th March 2008, 00:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
All said and done, one has to give credit to HM-Mitsubishi for thinking about price and positioning. Kudos to them for making the Outlander here rather than taking the CBU route and falling back on the "we want to build brand image with a premium product and limited volumes" spiel. Thank you for not treating Indian consumers like idiots. Even with a petrol engine, it seems compelling compared with other offerings in the market.
I walked into a Maruti showroom today and showed the GV to my wife. Somehow we weren't convinced - It just doesn't feel worth the money they are asking for it. I'm hoping the Outlander will be different even if it costs more.
Outlander will be something special at this price segment (around 17 lacs)
The interiors are superb, music system (Rockford FG) is just fantastic, 2.4 engine is a a gem (Automatic transmission) and it's 4 X 4. The styling is one of the best (better than CRV). Assuming that it is priced good 3 lacs below 2.4 CRV, this will give CRV a run for it's money for sure.

Old 10th March 2008, 00:58   #68
BHPian

CRV is not a 4X4 its a soft roader.If outlander priced below the CRV the it will be a big hit.Hope the same interiors,Rockford FG music system and 2.4 engine.
Old 10th March 2008, 08:14   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know whats funny? My brother's office colleague drove his brand new Cedia to work yesterday. Over the lunch break, he was pretty excited in showing everyone his new purchase....he heard more "why's" than "congratulations" !
It shouldn't really matter to the proud owner I bought ugly looking WagonR in 2002 and never ever regretted it. And am passionate about my Cedia.
Old 10th March 2008, 10:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

We bought a wagonR in 2000 when people werent taking to it. Look now, in 2008 it's still holding about 40% of the value.

People usually ask why's when they dont know about the product enough or are sold to other brands which usually consists of Maruti, Hyundai, tata and HONDA.

Outlander is a fun to drive vehicle in true mitsubishi tradition. Dont expect it to trample CR-V in all aspects, but it has all the guts to take the fight to the next level. rest depends on HM.

And I sincerely doubt whether they will stop producing pajero. Its selling in Respected numbers and HM doesnt have a history of discontinuing models.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 10th March 2008 at 10:05.
Old 4th October 2008, 14:04   #71
BHPian

Mitsubishi is planning to launch a new Lancer in the coming weeks which will be followed by a new Cedia as well. Atleast that is what CK Birla of HM is going around saying.

New variants of Mitsubishi Lancer, Cedia on the anvil - The Financial Express
dnaindia.com: Hindustan Motors slams brakes on RTV

And int he Hyderabad edition of the ToI it has been said that Birla gave a time-frame of '6-8' weeks for the new launches.

I wonder.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:46   #72
BANNED

HM-Mitsubishi in India has two prime issues in India 1. Poor dealership and service network 2. Over pricing. With which they can not dream of competing with their fellow Japanese contenders. I suspect if they have such dream. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks