Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which looks better to YOU ?
Baleno 110 46.22%
SX4 128 53.78%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2007, 16:29   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Though I much prefer the low stance of the Baleno...in everything else, its the SX4. Especially the rear end!
Old 27th November 2007, 16:35   #17
BHPian

The SX4 parked next to the Baleno is a VXi. Should it be a ZXi the car will look taller and bigger. I like the looks of Baleno from the front but SX4 scores far better in looks. What I like most - The big Beefy bumpers, the head lamps and the huge tyres. I feel the rear seat is more comfortable in a Baleno.
Old 27th November 2007, 16:42   #18
BANNED

Baleno is smooth with flowing lines. SX4 looks like a contraption of various parts

Funny part is, Baleno was considered the ugly sibling. But not any more
Old 27th November 2007, 18:46   #19
BHPian

My take would be SX-4 with less GC ..that would blow Baleno thoughts away !
Old 27th November 2007, 19:12   #20
BHPian

Honda was upping the price of OHC while maruti was pulling down the price of baleno by introducing all sorts of stripped down version to sell Baleno (as its back was too Ugly and the front was not great either ,though it was what i feel about balenos looks ) Now look at the another Maruti baby It had probably for the first time shaked Honda without even going Diesel yet and you ll find your answer of which car is better
Old 27th November 2007, 19:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

All else is fine but the SX4s stance reminds me of a cartoon character being kicked in the back side. No offence meant to anyone!
Old 27th November 2007, 19:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Even I remember the time when Baleno was called ugly. Unfortunately, people did not have a preview of the NHC or Verna or for that matter, SX4.

Had they imagined these new cars to look the way they do, my guess is that OHC and Baleno would have sold like hot cakes. However, this post should not lead us to a discussion on a similar thread (posted below).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-design.html

P.S: I've mentioned this in my previous post, I strongly believe looks are subjective. No offence people.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 27th November 2007 at 19:50.
Old 27th November 2007, 19:46   #23
BHPian

I have always admired sleek lined contemporary professional cars which are more executive looking so Baleno it is for me. (Hyundai Accent and Corolla also fall in the same category for me)

SX4 though is new with many better features including GC still it's over all design seems too loud and gaudy and it's not as perfectly designed especially the open designs near tyres and the high hung boot. It gives a feeling that a sedan's metal was trying blow up too much air from inside and the result was what was stopped somewhere in between. It some times looks extremely odd.

SX4 never made me look back again while Baleno made me look again and again.

In fact Swift looks more perfect than an SX4 according to me.

So sedans look like classy sleek professional men / women while SX4 or NHC types look the way how a little chubby men / women look like.
Old 27th November 2007, 21:03   #24
BHPian

Baleno shape at the sides look really good, even today for a discontinued car. The front bumper and the rear lights are the only bits that show its age, and I too strongly feel like others here that its production should have been continued by Maruti.

P.S. Baleno should beat the daylights out of the new proposed Swift sedan, if the pics we have seen are indeed true.

Last edited by grvanand : 27th November 2007 at 21:05.
Old 27th November 2007, 21:09   #25
BHPian

I like SX4's Front and Baleno's Back. Initially how many of us like SWIFT's design? . It will take time for SX4 to settle in looks...........
Old 27th November 2007, 23:00   #26
Ram
Senior - BHPian

From reading all your impressions and opinions, it would seem like we all love the Baleno, its low-slung sporty stance, its performance, although we hate the flat tail lights, but ...
we have a soft-corner for the new SX-4, notwithstanding its loud and gaudy medley of styling artifacts, the newness still compels us to say nice things about it,
such as, "love the tail lamps", "love the tall-boy look", etc.
It may look like a cartoon kicked in the butt, but "love and hate the ground clearance", "love the beefy bumper, big tires truck look", etc.

Ram
Old 28th November 2007, 11:55   #27
BHPian

I have sat and ridden in both cars:

Rear seat comfort: Baleno was better of the two, it has huge space and good legroom..Ride was comfortable too..
SX4 is bad space wise, if three people sit at the back it can become really uncomfortable. A tall person sitting near the windows could bump his head on the C-pillar/roof at every speed breaker. But other wise the quality of seats and materials used are better than in Baleno. Ingress and Egress is a little better in SX4 because of the higher ground clearance.
Drivers seat: Baleno had the classic sedan seating the driver sits very low and this was a problem for a shorter driver..
on Sx4, the door curves inward near the A-pillar and this was uncomfortable for me in terms of room for my right leg and right arm. Seating position is higher and more clear front view.
Performance:Torqy power delivery and more fun to drive.. better handler and has better response to the driver.
SX4 has a linear power delivery and responds well in almost all RPM ranges. It feels more refined but handling is average..some times i felt i was disconnected from the car which was more at higher speeds.

IMO, Baleno was a nice overall package..Sx4 is only cosmetic.
Old 28th November 2007, 13:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

I'd prefer the looks of the SX4!

Baleno looks very much dated. Although i like the baleno, i dont think it was a good design. The engine is what made it famous!
Old 28th November 2007, 16:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 is bigger and more modern in design. Also it rides on 16 inch wheels while the Baleno is on 13 inchers (?) . Flared wheel arches add to the stout well built look of the SX4.

For me - the Baleno was a ugly looking car from the moment it was launched. It was a old model model launched as a luxury offering from MUL. And it did not justify the luxury adjective - cheap interiors , old instrumentation, puny wheels, staid exteriors (I'm being polite here) ....while the SX4 positioned as a sedan (not luxury) has that mush more better interiors and equipment at a price lower than the Baleno (when it was launched).

The low slung , racer type feel does not sway my opinion - SX4 is a modern design and it looks infinitely better than the ugly Baleno.
Old 28th November 2007, 18:06   #30
BHPian

I'm the first one to vote SX4.
It looks sturdy, and much better than dull baleno design.
Baleno reminds me of Russian cars which i use to see in some of the movies, but baleno is much aerodynamic than sx4 thats for sure.
SX4 looks good with a fresh design.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks