Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2007, 22:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
None- i guess.

Tavera is the isuzu panther.
Spark, Aveo, U-VA and Optra are korean (Deawoo)
Exactly..................
Old 2nd December 2007, 22:04   #17
BHPian

Actually, none of the current models.
Tavera is the Isuzu Panther and the rest are korean.
The Captiva will be the first American designed Chevy in India when its launched next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Ummm.. How many Chevrolet cars in India are actually American designed?
Old 2nd December 2007, 22:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would opine that though the build quality might be a forte of the American cars in the likes of the Chevy, the engine refinement levels of its Japanese counterparts are way beyond compare. I would opt for a Japanese car anyday over an American one. Having said that, I did persuade my uncle to go in for the Tavera, only because it is the Isuzu Panther.

Last edited by rr_zen : 2nd December 2007 at 22:07.
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Japanese cars are more reliable than American cars. If you ask me, if want to choose between a Chevy and Corolla, I would vouch for corolla as the parts are more reliable and their A** is also customer friendly.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that own Ford Ikon so it seems that your perceptions are made out of some bitter experience you had with ur Ikon.

Please do not put GMI in the same basket.
As someone pointed out that modern day cars are all equally reliable / unreliable its just the sales and service which could vary from brand to brand.

Moreover the cars sales especially in a devoloping country like India is based on other factors like public perception, brand image, what other buy, resale etc.

At the same time i am not denying that Japanses cars are better. But again Europeans' expertise is in solid built, comfortable and refined cars, japs offer reliable and long lasting engines, Koreans a bit of everything and Americans a bit more of everything
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:23   #20
BHPian

Hi,

It depends on which chevy brand u have, for example how many owners complain on the optra or sprak[earlier called matiz]???? coz these were all korean cars just renamed under chevy..i guess chevy is using the same quality parts and manufacturing unit of daewoo and giving discounts and offers just to build volumes and gain customer's confidance...

Can someone tell me how good is the new chevy optra 2.0 max desile???? its got lots of features for 8lkhs...
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I dont believe any car these days is vastly better or worse than another in reliability. Hi-tech/automated manufacturing processes have ensured that. Ultimately it boils down to the mindset of the customer really.
I second that opinion. morever Daewoo was one of the best Korean companies in terms of quality and safety. As far as I remember Daewoo had done 105 crash tests and 1 lac 20 thousand kilometers of road testing on Nubira before going bankrupt. and everybody agrees that Matiz was one of the best hatches available at that time in terms of build quality and fuel efficiency.
Old 3rd December 2007, 03:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I second that opinion. morever Daewoo was one of the best Korean companies in terms of quality and safety. As far as I remember Daewoo had done 105 crash tests and 1 lac 20 thousand kilometers of road testing on Nubira before going bankrupt. and everybody agrees that Matiz was one of the best hatches available at that time in terms of build quality and fuel efficiency.
Agree with most of the comments, but Matiz certainly wasnt the best built. In fact it was inferior. Under body was highly prone to rust. Even a small bang to the the 5th door would have it bent. With woofered sound system I have seen the door vibration sounds along with the beats ( only in a couple of them which friends owned). But it had the best dashboard layout which gave it a big car feel from inside.
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Call me crazy, but I've found Fiats, Hyundais & Fords to be lesser prone to rattles and consistent with builds in terms of panel gaps, etc. I've found Hondas & Toyotas with varying levels of builds, but not Hyundais.

I guess we could categorise the best in terms of;

A) Mechanicals (Engine, Suspension, Transmission; Toyotas hands down, IMHO)
B) Electricals (Hondas here; I've seen 10 year old OHC's running OE power window winders, motors, switches, etc.)
C) Bodywork/panels (Fiats, IMHO. They have the least amount of rattles & gaps amongst the crowd)....

In the end, reliability is more in the hands of the owner than the car itself. Sadly, no machine is man-proof. Yet.
Old 3rd December 2007, 07:58   #24
BHPian

The reason Chevy sells re-badged Daewoo cars is because it doesn't have a small car suitable for India except Aveo. Americans do not buy small cars hence American companies do not make small cars.
Old 3rd December 2007, 08:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
The Captiva will be the first American designed Chevy in India when its launched next year.

Will it be the Captiva thats a rebadged Daewoo Winstorm? If so, then its not american designed.
Old 3rd December 2007, 09:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Actually, none of the current models.
Tavera is the Isuzu Panther and the rest are korean.
Captiva is not an american design... the saturn Vue which shares the same chassis has a slightly different body here.. which infact is based on opel designs... i guess captiva is mainly for the asian markets...

Chevy does not build small cars in US.. the aveo is imported from Korea. the reliability is not bad for these cars.. they are as good as japanese cars.. suzuki, which sells the rebadged optra, UV-A here in US offers one of the best warranty on those cars and not many reliability issues for these cars afaik...
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:47   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Agree with most of the comments, but Matiz certainly wasnt the best built. In fact it was inferior. Under body was highly prone to rust. Even a small bang to the the 5th door would have it bent. With woofered sound system I have seen the door vibration sounds along with the beats ( only in a couple of them which friends owned). But it had the best dashboard layout which gave it a big car feel from inside.
maybe the Matiz was not that good afterall as I thought it to be . I used to drive an 800 at that time when one of my friends had a matiz and I thought it to be much more superior.
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

No long term experience with the Indian "Chevys". But, just got a Magnum in August. Till date, it is running a-okay! Will keep you guys updated.
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for the fact that GMs cars in India are of very good quality. Toyotas and Hondas quality is nothing close to its global standards.
Old 4th December 2007, 04:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
but Matiz certainly wasnt the best built. In fact it was inferior. Under body was highly prone to rust. Even a small bang to the the 5th door would have it bent. With woofered sound system I have seen the door vibration sounds along with the beats ( only in a couple of them which friends owned). But it had the best dashboard layout which gave it a big car feel from inside.
Will probably disagree here. With proper sound deadening, which normally is associated with a good ICE install, there wasn't any issue. My uncle has a Matiz that runs in Dehradun, does, some distance on Kuchcha road, crosses a spillway stream each day while doing so, and its in pristine condition, no rust at all. The total amount he has spent on the maintenance on that car is peanuts.

On the other hand, on smooth roads the monobox handles brilliantly. It just loves to be taken on top of the hills (which are common in his area) and be driven down fast. The Gearing is perfect and does not let you very much feel the cc difference to the Santro of its time (with the 1000cc engine, which used to run out of juice from around 115 when the Matiz used to merrily strech its legs, the lower gears were short and the Overdrive made up for it).

It was definitely much better built than its competitor (The Santro. let alone the 800), handled beautifully, rode much better than the Santro, only grouse was the lack of cubic capacity in its engine block. In the end a Brilliant car.

The rear hatch caved in after an enthusiastic coolie, knee banged the rear hatch door to accomodate a non conforming luggage. Just a little problem. But uncle banged his head into the hatch from the otherside and it went back in place.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th December 2007 at 04:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks