Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 13:25   #31
Team-BHP Support

I am really curious about 2 things
1. People who own a safari and voted for Scorpio
2. People who own a scorpio and have voted for Safari.
This is what decides which is the actual winner.
Old 5th December 2007, 13:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Voted for SAFARI for VFM and the thought they've put into the product.
I'd value USEFUL features like "Electrically Controlled ORVMs" anyday than gimmicks like "Cruise Control" / "Automatic Wipers".

Safari looks could improve if they cut some flab. A 7-seater SUV needn't look like a ship. Look at the overhangs. Learn from Land Rover for those CLEAN design lines.
Land Rover costs around 75Lakhs right? They are the ones who have personal trainers to get those CLEAN abs. So you ain't gonna get a 6% Fat percentage Index SUV under 10Lakhs. It may be extra Flab for you but it surely comes with good extra muscle 140BHP. Lets compare apples to apples. Put 40 Lakhs in a Safari and it will pull pants off the best SUVs in the world. At present it does the job for what it is built.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Just because land rover costs 75 lakhs, is no excuse for quality issues and other stuff.
All over the world there are quite a few SuVs which offer better quality and are better built in the same amount of money it costs Tata.
Due to the "Economy of scale dilemma" many of them do not come over here.
I am a Safari Fan, and absolutely love the looks, the butch appeal, but the initial quality problems are a tad too much.
I am yet to come across a member on this forum who hasn't gone to the workshop to get a problem fixed, which shouldn't have been there in a new vehicle.
If People who have a limited budget of 10L and want a big SUV buy a safari its no achievement. When somebody who affords 18L still goes ahead and buys a safari, thats an achievement.
with the current engine if Tata could iron out the quality problems, many people with bigger budgets will look at the safari again.

Of course its no different for Mahindra. Both these guys are the only "Truly indian" homegrown car makers, and what they make is the benchmark by which the world automotive world judges the Indian Car scene.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

i agree with Tanveer. Even though I own a safari and absolutely love driving this beast, I am a little apprehensive taking it from Hyd to bang with my family, because I have read some horror stories about people getting stranded on teh hihgways with their Dicors- could be a case of poor maintenannce for all you know, but still.....

conversely, when i drive dwon from bangy to hyd in my baleno. I didnt even think twice about it! so it will take a while for Tata to instill that level of confidence in its customers.

same goes for scorpio.

P.S. the hawk is being trounced in this poll! 78-8

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 5th December 2007 at 14:32.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Land Rover costs around 75Lakhs right? They are the ones who have personal trainers to get those CLEAN abs. So you ain't gonna get a 6% Fat percentage Index SUV under 10Lakhs. It may be extra Flab for you but it surely comes with good extra muscle 140BHP. Lets compare apples to apples. Put 40 Lakhs in a Safari and it will pull pants off the best SUVs in the world. At present it does the job for what it is built.
It's NOT about the cost. It's about HOW CLEAN you can DRAW on a paper? It doesn't cost a bomb to draw properly.
Is this curve really needed? Isn't it unncessary? Why can't we use clean lines to design instead of hotch-potch puffed up stuff?

I'm not a safari hater....in fact i drove the safari from Bangalore - Thirunelveli - Trivandrum and i loved it. That got me hooked to SUVs.

Regarding the design, nothing much to write about my Bolero either.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Safari Dicor any day, no matter, how cheap is plastic, no matter how pathetic is service. Thats what my beast is
Old 5th December 2007, 16:26   #37
BHPian

I have voted for the Safari only because of two reasons:
1. VFM
2. Space, ride and handling.
It fulfills most of the requirements of potential buyers.
But it loses on other points:
1. Quality
2. Reliability
I know someone who owns a TATA service centre. His advice is never buy one just because of the "peace of mind" factor.

The Scorpio is better built. It always had the best engines. The ride and handling is suspect but the quality and reliability is way above Safari. It is overpriced.It should be in the 6-9 lac bracket.
We on the forum talk about handling but it is a little bit overrated considering what sells in the market. The layman consumer mostly considers the whole package.
Mahindras need a new marketing and pricing department considering they have outpriced themselves vis-a-vis the Safari.
Old 5th December 2007, 20:36   #38
BHPian

Safari beats Scorpio by miles - be it power, drive or oomph factor. Scorpio is a dated styling with crampy looks.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Safari, it has a better ride and is more comfortable.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:11   #40
Team-BHP Support

for consistent quality i vote for mahindra
Old 5th December 2007, 21:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Even Tata's quality is consistently bad. Nobody can give them competition there
Old 5th December 2007, 22:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Safari beats Scorpio by miles - be it power, drive or oomph factor. Scorpio is a dated styling with crampy looks.
Its the other way round. The Safari looks dated, which other car major makes such a boxy looking SUV today ?

The Safari near enough resembled the LR disco design and LR ditched that a while back.

Quote:
Land Rover costs around 75Lakhs right? They are the ones who have personal trainers to get those CLEAN abs.
You are so wrong. Wait till TATA launch their Safari replacement, it will not cost 75 lakh but will have much better design (if the new TATA pickups are anything to go by) all for a similar price.
Old 6th December 2007, 13:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Safari it is for me. Definitely more road presence than a Scorpio. I think that is one major thng that you want in a SUV don't you.
Old 6th December 2007, 14:11   #44
BHPian

Voted for Safari... Would have done it anyway, even with the old TCIC or 3.0L DICOR.

IMO: Safari is a cheap SUV. Scorpio is an expensive "Jeep". Safari has the flawless and evergreen ID. Scorpio is figuring out proportions and shapes.
Old 6th December 2007, 17:30   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I am a little apprehensive taking it from Hyd to bang with my family, because I have read some horror stories about people getting stranded on teh hihgways with their Dicors- could be a case of poor maintenannce for all you know, but still.....
I don't think you should worry about that. The key is to get anything suspicious fixed immediately. I've done 1000 km one-way trips without a worry.

I know the feeling of 'what if' but you have to really drive the Safari from Hyderabad to Bangalore and back to really fall in love with the beast.

23300 km, need to schedule my 25K km service soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks