Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 12:34   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The facelifted Swift ZXi has integrated stereo with steering mounted controls like in the SX4 Zxi. Commonality of parts once again.

Just to confirm the difference between Swift Zxi and SX4 Zxi is:
Quote:
and platform sharing doesn't mean everything on the car is same ie Swift and SX4
The SX4s braking & ride is much better then the Swift.

You forget the to mention the M series engine.

THe Swift ZXi is extremely value for money and so is the SX4 in its class.
Old 7th February 2008, 14:09   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
You forget the to mention the M series engine.
Thanks! I stand corrected.

The M series engine is a bit of a disappointement to be honest. Very refined at idle but post 2500rpm it feels gruff and almost like it's damaging itself! It's also not as free revving as the 1.3 G series engine of the Esteem. But does the G series feel as free revving in the heavier Swift? Also, it feels a little ponderous compared to the G series but it could be due to heavier weight of the car, gearing and drive by wire tech on the SX4.

Quote:
THe Swift ZXi is extremely value for money and so is the SX4 in its class.
Old 8th February 2008, 11:12   #183
BHPian

Dont mean to offend anyone but recently i have come to realise that even though both the cars (SX4 & Swift) are amazing cars and offer great value, they have a huge chink in the armour. And that chink is the armour itself!!!

Though i would have bought any of these Marutis without any hesitation, i now feel very anxious. The reason being that both the cars have SCARILY fragile bodywork. And i do mean SCARY.

Case in point for both the cars:
SWIFT My friend accidentaly touched a gaurd rail on the foothpath while removing his car from parking due to a steep incline. The car barely touched at 3 or 4 kmph and the bumper seemed damaged with bad scrathes and a dent and even broke off the hinges so it almost came off!!!! At a bang from parking speeds!!!!

SX4 Just happened yesterday. My neighbour owns a SX4 and I have a Opel Astra. While reversing, their driver touched my car and guess what happened?
I thought that it would only be a few scratches as i was present when he bumped into the car but was shocked at the damage. As expexcted, my car only had a few (Very light and minor) scratches whereas the SX4 The entire bumper had a huge dent as if a baseball had smacked it or a biker rear ended it
Will post the pictures of both cars soon.
Old 8th February 2008, 23:00   #184
Senior - BHPian

Although I cannot comment on SX4's build quality, I have had experience with the Swift. Bikes have hit my bumper from behind many times at parking speeds but nothing seemed to have happened. Also, I have observed, Swift bumpers may come off(mine has never come off till now), but they absorb the impact very well. There have been reports of accidents in Swift at high speeds, where in, the car might be damaged badly, but the cabin won't be affected much. It has good crumple zones and good side impact beams. So to say, passenger safety is good.

Also, Jap cars are more lightly built than the European ones. Isn't the NHC also pretty lightly built for that price?
Old 8th February 2008, 23:38   #185
BHPian

Blue Pulsar, you may be right on the safety part. Perhaps its safe. All im saying is the build quality isnt at all good. Example would be that swift owners complain of rattling interiors and the power window switches falling off for no apparent reason. A similar experience has been had by some SX4 users as well.

And hey, its not that i dont like both the cars. Believe me, they are amazing for the looks, features and price. Dont think any other company can beat them at that as of now. All i am saying is there are still issues of build quality which Maruti needs to improve on. Guess im just a sucker for strongly built cars after driving a Skoda and Opel Astra Forget Maruti, i dont think any other car maker (in the same segment) in India has made me feel so safe while driving. Yes, Innova has come very close
Old 9th February 2008, 08:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Is the Swift new model coming with Sunroof ??? I saw 3 swift's today outside a mall here. All diesel and brand new and had sunroofs. Maybe Aftermarket BUT then they were absolutely new.
Old 9th February 2008, 10:36   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Is the Swift new model coming with Sunroof ??? I saw 3 swift's today outside a mall here. All diesel and brand new and had sunroofs.
Sunroof is a option at the dealer for the Swift. However i would not advise aftermarket sunroofs.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:54   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Is the Swift new model coming with Sunroof ??? I saw 3 swift's today outside a mall here. All diesel and brand new and had sunroofs. Maybe Aftermarket BUT then they were absolutely new.
Were they the new ZDi's ??? I meant test cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Blue Pulsar, you may be right on the safety part. Perhaps its safe. All im saying is the build quality isnt at all good. Example would be that swift owners complain of rattling interiors and the power window switches falling off for no apparent reason. A similar experience has been had by some SX4 users as well.
Yes, build quality is not as good, definitely not as good as Skoda or Opel. Maruti needs to improve here. But, I guess they are pretty much on the right path. They have come a long way from the old Zen build quality

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 9th February 2008 at 12:00.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:05   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Were they the new ZDi's ??? I meant test cars
My dealer has received 2 ZDi's. MSIL plans to launch it in the near future.

Edit - Sumit - I have not much info, he just told me he received them and since he is in the service department didnot have much info. But expect it to be priced 90k more then the VDi

Last edited by BUSA : 9th February 2008 at 12:24.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:21   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
My dealer has received 2 ZDi's. MSIL plans to launch it in the near future.

Can you pester your dealer to divulge more information about its speculated pricing and availability. The 2 ZDIs he has received is for sale or are test or test-drive mules?
Old 9th February 2008, 12:38   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Blue Pulsar, you may be right on the safety part. Perhaps its safe. All im saying is the build quality isnt at all good.
I do agree with the build quality part. I scrapped a smallish bush-tree at parking speeds with my SX4 and then reversed out of the spot. When I got down, I noticed that the bumper was mis aligned on the right fender side! (Will be posting pics in my SX4 thread)

There are rattles coming from both side door panels and from the back of the car. My car has done 6700 kms!
Old 9th February 2008, 15:49   #192
BHPian

Quote:
I do agree with the build quality part. I scrapped a smallish bush-tree at parking speeds with my SX4 and then reversed out of the spot. When I got down, I noticed that the bumper was mis aligned on the right fender side! (Will be posting pics in my SX4 thread)

There are rattles coming from both side door panels and from the back of the car. My car has done 6700 kms!
I was hoping atleast SX4 would be rattle free, but looks like it is same as swift.
Old 9th February 2008, 23:44   #193
BHPian

Quote:
To meet the new pedestrian safety standards (for Europe) manufactures use materials that can absorb energy during a collision and reduce the impact on the pedestrian. During a collision the bumper will absorb energy and it will crash and it will reduce the impact on the pedestrian
Old 10th February 2008, 00:48   #194
BHPian

Good for safety (pedestrians and bikers), bad for owners
Old 10th February 2008, 01:11   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
To meet the new pedestrian safety standards (for Europe) manufactures use materials that can absorb energy during a collision and reduce the impact on the pedestrian. During a collision the bumper will absorb energy and it will crash and it will reduce the impact on the pedestrian
Pedesrian safety is with regard to only the front of the car,it is a well known fact that maruti has skimped on the quality of materials used on the swift,..which can be seen with the way the doors bend if you hit them,premature rattling panel gaps etc.

But,the chassis is well designed and built solid(have a look at the a/c pillars!),and if,God-forbid,you were involved in an accident,you will be safer in a swift zxi than even a few mid-size cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks