Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 13:39   #136
Senior - BHPian

I am totally disappointed the way GM has messed up with this car. They should decide the car's pricing and leave it unchanged at least till necessary.

Despite the rise in input costs, Spark's pricing is coming down. This is not a positive indication for the product's performance in the market.

GM offers Spark at Rs 2.66 lakh
Old 4th July 2008, 13:43   #137
Team-BHP Support

The so called 50K discounts which are harped include finance discount. the actual discount is only 15K.
Recently I calculated, whats a better deal.
Taking loan at 14.5% and claiming 4% finance discount, or taking loan at 12%.
No surprises, the lower EMI works out better in long run.

If you enquire about discounts, enquire dealer only discount. Thats around 10000 due to the fuel price and credit crunch.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:18   #138
BHPian

Cash discounts differ from 1 market to the another. So this should not be a problem for any manufacturer. But as IRaghava pointed out, when base price is reduced, existing buyers most definitely feel cheated. There is also a 3rd situation where-in a manufacturer introduces a stripped down version of an existing model. Eg. the newly launched stripped down version of the Civic - The Executive - might affect the Civic used car market prices. I have normally seen this happening. My friends fully loaded Ikon was a complete pain to sell.
Correct me if I my thinking is wrong...
Old 4th July 2008, 19:11   #139
BHPian

Guys, I have price list of Spark at 3 different dates as below

Spark 1.0 Base (non metalic colour) Ex-Showroom
Sep 07 - 3,09,825
Oct 07 - 2,79,375
Apr 08 - 2,80,800

Spark 1.0 LT (metalik colour) Ex-Showroom
Sep 07 - 3,94,875
Oct 07 - 3,49,859 (This is what I paid for my Sparky )
Apr 08 - 3,50,519

As can be seen, they came out with a big discount in Oct, 07 and since then prices have been more or less same. But once in a while they come up with these ads claiming discount of 50k - 60k as compared to the initial price which is misleading and confusing.
Old 4th July 2008, 21:24   #140
bkm
BHPian

Rightly said Bombatt , after Oct discount the prices have not varied much . Even after today's discount as advertsed in newspaper , the impact will be marginal in the price at which spark was being sold .
Old 7th July 2008, 13:37   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Guys, I have price list of Spark at 3 different dates as below

Spark 1.0 Base (non metalic colour) Ex-Showroom
Sep 07 - 3,09,825
Oct 07 - 2,79,375
Apr 08 - 2,80,800

Spark 1.0 LT (metalik colour) Ex-Showroom
Sep 07 - 3,94,875
Oct 07 - 3,49,859 (This is what I paid for my Sparky )
Apr 08 - 3,50,519

As can be seen, they came out with a big discount in Oct, 07 and since then prices have been more or less same. But once in a while they come up with these ads claiming discount of 50k - 60k as compared to the initial price which is misleading and confusing.
so whats the "Real" price slash is?
I purchase spark in June this year for 3.18Lakh with Aircon, just after a week, price went down by 5k for so called "Anniversary celebrations", then two 5k is okay, but 50k......

Also, with so much reduction, i doubt if the built quality remains the same. there has to be cost cutting somewhere

Last edited by gary4gar : 7th July 2008 at 13:38.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:39   #142
Senior - BHPian

Price slashed mainly because of their new plant about to start production, hence more localization of parts.

They are passing the benefit on customers.

If they offer base model for 2.66 lacs its excellant price since this small car has good build quality backed up with excellant ride.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Price slashed mainly because of their new plant about to start production, hence more localization of parts.

They are passing the benefit on customers.
If that was the case the change in price would be permanent if you read the fine print it reads
Quote:
*offer by GM dealers
i.e. its not from GM itself. Only the 3 year package was from the GM.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:13   #144
BHPian

can anyone throw some light on what the current ex-showroom prices are for spark(all versions,any city preferably bangalore) . I checked their website chevyspark.in but it is not yet updated.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:28   #145
BHPian

Well i am a great fan of Sparky !

But now looking at the GM's pricing, and considering Nano is scheduled to launch in September, i just hope to read the news as

"Chevy Spark now available at RS. ONE LACK !"

*Celebration offer for unlimited period only

(No hint of what GM is celebrating in India throughout the year)

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2008 at 18:14.
sary is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th July 2008, 16:38   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Eg. the newly launched stripped down version of the Civic - The Executive - might affect the Civic used car market prices. I have normally seen this happening.
IMO inspite of production of Civic S being stopped i dont think it will affect its resale for sometime now. Cos a 2nd hand car buyer will surely look for features at that price. Honda has made the Civic more affordable but there is quite a gap bet. E & V versions.
Coming back to the Spark , I wonder the resale of Spark models when it was launched. Spark is an excellent car , GM is just making buyers think twice before buying the car. Wake up GM!
Old 7th July 2008, 16:58   #147
BHPian

Celebrating that finally it has managed to screw up the cute Spark's image with its stupid pricing strategy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
*Celebration offer for unlimited period only

(No hint of what GM is celebrating in India throughout the year)
Old 7th July 2008, 17:07   #148
Senior - BHPian

Tata better watch out.
The regularity at which GM seems to be discounting the Spark, Come September it would be priced on par with the Nano. Actually they look quite similar as well.

I dont know how GM plans to inspire confidence in Indians regards to the Chevrolet brand. Buy one now and you could be in for a bad suprise any day when you open the newspaper let alone worry about the resale value when you come to sell it of.

I think the Spark/Matiz has some kind of a bad omen attatched to it. A year after the Matiz was launches Daewoo went bust, now theres news spreading that GM is at the verge of bankruptcy too.
Old 8th July 2008, 20:11   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Tata better watch out.
I dont know how GM plans to inspire confidence in Indians regards to the Chevrolet brand. Buy one now and you could be in for a bad suprise any day when you open the newspaper let alone worry about the resale value when you come to sell it of.

I think the Spark/Matiz has some kind of a bad omen attatched to it. A year after the Matiz was launches Daewoo went bust, now theres news spreading that GM is at the verge of bankruptcy too.
On the first point, I have owned and known GM for many years to say that this is true. Prices fall 40-50K for a 5-6 lakh car. In reality, 15-20% declines per annum. Better than computer price declines of 30-35% per annum, but not by much.

Second point: How do you make up US$46 billion in net losses and explain to shareholders. Chrysler is forecast in bankruptcy in the next 1 year, and the current slump (or a severe recession) could advance GM's date with bankruptcy. Its great hope, the Volt, is behind schedule, over price ($40-45K), and not very practical. To keep Volt and GM going, it is now lobbying for handouts on the Volt. sEE THIS:
Business World - WSJ.com

WSJ says, At best, the Volt will be an affluent family's third car. It will have to be plugged in for six hours a day – i.e., it will be a car for a suburbanite with a sizeable garage wired for power. It won't be a car for a city dweller who parks on the street or in a public lot. It will travel 40 miles on a six-hour charge. After that, a small gas motor will kick in to recharge the battery while you drive. Some reports claim the Volt will get 50 mpg in this mode, but that's hallucinatory: If using a gasoline engine to power an electric motor were so efficient, the streets would be full of such vehicles. (Our guess: The car will be lucky to get 15 mpg under gasoline power.)

Soon there could be a fire sale at GM.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:57   #150
bkm
BHPian

I would only say , GM has not committed any crime by aggresively offering some more discount on spark. As already stated since last October the priceof spark has not varied much except for Rs 10K discount due to excise cut. No body should be guided by the comments on GM financial health to judge an otherwise splendid offer . Spark is a wonderful car to own , the ride quality , engine smoothness being much better than competition.. I can vouch for good personalised service also from GM dealers in Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks