Team-BHP - Fiat 500 in April 08 !!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Fiat 500 in April 08 !!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/35710-fiat-500-april-08-a-8.html)

This is indeed an interesting move by Fiat. I have seen this car in auto expo'08 and it was definitely one of the best (or cutest) looking cars out there.

It was always known that the price will be very high and that’s the reason they will be limited number of cars imported. IMO, this is more of a strategic move by fiat, may be to showcase their capabilities to Indian masses, who don’t see Fiat as a respected figure in auto industry. Anyway, whatever may be the reason or logic, I feel good to be able to see this car around in my country. It’s a lovely cute car and i am sure It will be equally fun to watch (owning is distant dream). I appreciate Fiat for taking the initiative to launch this car in India.

Personally I feel, Fiat may not be smart enough in marketing & selling its products like GM, Honda or Hyundai. Further, they might have failed in reading/meeting the expectation of majority of Indian car buyers compared to Maruti and Tata. But, Their Cars are always been good quality cars and most of them are ahead of their present competitors in India in terms of 'Fun to own a Car'. I wish they should continue this trend and improve their supporting services.

Anyone have any published information about the 500 model pricing?

If it's around the 10Lac range, I can see it getting ALOT of acceptance. Add more than a lac to that figure, and you can forget about sales volume or brand goodwill.

I understand the niche market arguement but Automakers in India fail to understand that it is the VALUE proposition that sets a mass market manufacturers reputation in the Industry, NOT snob value. Case in point - what Swift has done for Maruti.

Look at the Fabia and how it's overpriced tag is hurting the brand image, where consumers are labelling the company as borderline exploitational.

13 Lakh, no body will go for 500 when Civic and Ocatavia are cheaper

Fiat will do better to sell some basic cars like the palio and gain some good reputation rather than trying to sell this luxury small car for an exorbitant price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 789049)
Fiat will do better to sell some basic cars like the palio and gain some good reputation rather than trying to sell this luxury small car for an exorbitant price!

true,agree:

i see this car a a perfect option instead of the smart car

:Shockked:13 lakh (USD 32000) is insanely crazy... for a fiat ->Just read the article in today's Cars n Bikes (Hindustan Times) 75BHP Diesel engine. It could be justified if it were a MINI cooper but I hear the MINI is going to be priced closer to 20 lakh. I'd rather buy a TATA Safari (fully loaded) or a Civic.

Fiat as a brand isn't recognised in India, they would be better off making improvements on Palios (which cater to a broader range of consumers) and gain some foothold in the auto industry before trying to sell 'luxury' 'lifestyle' or Whatever-the-hell-they-name-it-Overpriced cars. :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by carzy (Post 789599)
:Shockked:13 lakh (USD 32000) is insanely crazy... for a fiat.
Fiat as a brand isn't recognised in India, they would be better off making improvements on Palios (which cater to a broader range of consumers) and gain some foothold in the auto industry before trying to sell 'luxury' 'lifestyle' or Whatever-the-hell-they-name-it-Overpriced cars. :deadhorse

We can't blame Fiat entirely for the pricing. The car is going to be an import and we all know the super ridiculous duties that our government imposes on imports.

Besides, Fiat have themselves said that they are not looking at volumes with the 500 or the Bravo. The job of these cars is to jazz up Fiat's image in India and thats something both the 500 and Bravo will manage very easily.

By the way, even if Fiat makes the 500 in India and prices it around Swift Zxi/Dzire Zdi levels, how many people would buy a 2 door car? Indians would say Fiat is ripping us off by giving only 2 doors while Maruti gives 4! lol:

Again, I would pick up the Bravo for 12-14 lacs with my eyes closed (Rs.20 lacs is way too high) but how many people like me are there in India?

Whoever is to be blamed for the pricing if 13 lakhs is going to be true its another blunder from fiat for sure.It should be priced in the 6 lakhs bracket max if it has to do some sales in India.Considering the image fiat has its going to be tough going.I would compare its performance with the BMW funduro stint.
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 789622)
We can't blame Fiat entirely for the pricing. The car is going to be an import and we all know the super ridiculous duties that our government imposes on imports.

Besides, Fiat have themselves said that they are not looking at volumes with the 500 or the Bravo. The job of these cars is to jazz up Fiat's image in India and thats something both the 500 and Bravo will manage very easily.

By the way, even if Fiat makes the 500 in India and prices it around Swift Zxi/Dzire Zdi levels, how many people would buy a 2 door car? Indians would say Fiat is ripping us off by giving only 2 doors while Maruti gives 4! lol:

Again, I would pick up the Bravo for 12-14 lacs with my eyes closed (Rs.20 lacs is way too high) but how many people like me are there in India?

I agree on the point that Fiat cannot be blamed for the import duty on the car and other taxes but the point is why import a mini hatch at that cost anyways when Fiat surely knows where they stand in the Indian market. The move of importing the car to India at such a high price itself is a blunder like they Chevy SRV. The SRV was at least bigger than the Fiat 500 and Cheaper yet it flopped big time.

I also agree the general public isn't like us and doesn't understand the meaning of a two door car or a coupe - but if the price is right, people like you and me (who are in no small proportion) will still consider buying it.

Brands like BMW's and Mercs and Audis are luxury when it comes to majority of the Indian population, the common man doesn't see Fiat that way and we come back to square one - Why launch a car which costs so much when you haven't established your brand at that level.

IF BMW launches the MINI priced at 20L (after import duties and all that), a lot of people will buy it compared to the Fiat 500 at 13L. It's the mentality of people here... they 'know' what they're getting for a 20L BMW, but they don't really 'know' what they're getting for a 13L Fiat. You'll hear the general public say -" Oh My God! A Fiat for 13L, they've lost it"

Bottomline: fiat FIRST needs win the hearts of the mass market right now if they want to stay longer in the Indian Auto Market. Then they can throw in all the luxry cars they have.

Sorry for the longgg post :D

I have been following the 500 launch etc for quite a while now, and one question I have is, how is this such a lifestyle product? The Beetle sold for decades and was iconic even having starred in movies. The Mini too had its own set of races in England. But apart from the fact that it was very affordable and therefore, common in Europe, the 500 wasn't ever an icon, or was it?

Am I missing something here?

In any case, the new 500, with its pricing and of course its cool city boy looks will definitely make people sit up and take notice of Fiat for a completely different reason from the regular- complaints for bad ***.

This might be off-topic :OT , just wanted to know how long does it take for a post to get approved and appear in the thread... I've had a couple of posts earlier on in other threads that didn't appear at all (no they didn't contain any offensive language). And one in this thread posted 15 min back :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by biju_kp (Post 788662)
13 Lakh, no body will go for 500 when Civic and Ocatavia are cheaper

Today Hindu says that the price is 21-22Lac :Frustrati

21-22Lac?

A cartoon in the newspaper last week: one executive says to another:

Remember, a fool and his money ...are our target!

Fiat has got it all wrong before the 500 can come in.

That price for that car. No Way.

A Classic Fiat 500 is much better and u could get one at 90% lesser that what they are quoting on the new one.

Beetles! i have no words to say.

Someone said it would go the SRV way. I totally back that one and stand by it.

I'll rather go and pick a Civic than a small car from a company that has less repute in INDIA.(Barring the classics)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 789805)
Today Hindu says that the price is 21-22Lac :Frustrati

Its 13 lakhs ex-show room in pune. Read overdrive for more info.
Plus, It's the people's car of the 1950's, its a more a nostalgic car/keepers rather than competition for the Civic/octavia. People who've had the old 500 or a FIAT are more likely to get that than people looking for an Octavia or civic.

Any one remember the old 500? I've driven in one, the 500CC engine couldn't manage a very steep slope so other had to get down or push!
I soo wanted to fix one of the diesel engine's of these 7 seater auto's and make use it.