Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 13:33   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

I love FIAT and would have convinced my dad to buy a Palio 1.6. My dad was ok with it except for the after sales service.

That is the only problem with FIAT for me.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:40   #47
BHPian

A car company can make a turn around: Look at Fiat* - May 14, 2007

Fiat has had its problems globally even as early as the first part of this decade. Read the above story feartured on CNN, which talks about the change in its leadership and the turnaround story

With Fiat out of the red, and the success of Punto in Europe they seem to be in a better scheme of things to grow from here.

With respect to India, there was a definite lack of focus. Unlike some who say it is step motherly treatment towards India, they look at India as a third world country et al, I would attributed it to the turmoil in the parent company

When the likes of Hyundai, MUL were consolidating and going from strength to strength, Fiat missed the bus to India

No global company in its right mind can ignore a growing economy like ours deeming it third world or likewise.

Also, I have seen many members who refer to Palio as decade old product and a product at the end of the its life cycle. Technically, fine! But, I think as long as it offers VFM and can compete with products in its class, there is no reason why it should be discontinued.

All said, only Fiat can prove the naysayers wrong. India-Focus, Strong Marketing (get a brand ambassador for heaven's sake), effective *** and ofcourse the growth in numbers to back it up - is the need of the hour

Fiat is known for making good quality, cost effective cars and I believe Fiat-India is at point in history (with an impressive pipeline of launches) where they can undo their past failures
Old 18th March 2008, 13:40   #48
BHPian

My connection with FIAT dates back to my dad's first car, FIAT 1100.
However, I was never as excited when we booked UNO, sometime in 96 i guess. It was being launched and bookings were open. Paid Rs. 24000 as booking amount.

And then we had to follow it up as to when we will get the car.
Phew. The car came in the year 99. Yes.

And we chose to not to buy it and after a stinger of a letter [no email that time ] our booking amount was returned with interest!

Yes, the FIAT was forgiven, and again Palio came to home. I loved it. But after 3 years of ownership, when sold for a pathetic price, i knew this was the last FIAT I would ever drive.

Mistakes do happen. and you will be forgiven. But how long!?

FIAT are not at all serious in india. And which is true.
I guess launch of costly cars like 500/bravo is only to help it's limited support. They cannot be a volume player. Rather they dont want to be.

Very lethargic. I must say.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well.. Almost every other owner (of ANY brand of cars) has some good and bad experience when it comes to A.S.S. There are a lot of factors here which are beyond the car manufacturer's control. It could be as specific as a particular service advisor is incompetent at a particular service center. Only redressal available is to fire that guy. Now all that guy will do is continue his "good" work elsewhere, probably at an A.S.S of a different manufacturer !!

Fiat has taken steps to address those issues which are within their control. For example: making sure spare parts are available on time etc. Only problem is that reality has not overtaken people's perception of FIAT as yet.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Only problem is that reality has not overtaken people's perception of FIAT as yet.
Since not many people are willing to pay more than what a bike would cost for a new or a used Fiat, and perception lags reality, perhaps FIAT should give 2000 Palios for Free to people who hold the wrong perception. Also service them for free for at least 3 years. This will not only cause a correct perception, but also enable Fiat to meet its annual sales target for 2008.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:53   #51
BHPian

Well, for me the word "Fiat" reminds me of our old troublesome Premier Padmini car. We used to have almost weekly visits to workshops and for some reason the guys there almost always failed to fix the real problem. In the end it became noisier than a jet engine and we sold it for scrap value. Even though this happened almost 15-20 years ago, it still lingers in my mind and I never had the courage spend money on another car with the same name

Surprisingly I find that many of my friends shares the same feeling towards this brand. The news of extremely poor "sarkari style" A.S.S by Sundaram Motors only worsened it.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Since not many people are willing to pay more than what a bike would cost for a new or a used Fiat, and perception lags reality, perhaps FIAT should give 2000 Palios for Free to people who hold the wrong perception. Also service them for free for at least 3 years. This will not only cause a correct perception, but also enable Fiat to meet its annual sales target for 2008.
I have no problem if that perception continues.. it means that I can buy used Fiats at rock bottom prices. Imagine getting a used Palio for the price of a bike. .. But sadly, I think this is another urban legend about Fiat thats doing the rounds.

Last I heard (from moralfibre), the used car prices of Palio D (the car I own) is holding up rather nicely, though I dont have plans to sell it any time soon.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:04   #53

Well my experience with my palio D has been quiet sour (reason could be I bought an absolute lemon in disguise).

Right from day one I had issues (a/c compressor belt broke) and the fiat service guys were not of any great help..used to wait for them to come and see the car for hrs. The next option was the TATA service centre. Once there I soon found out there was just one guy who would work on the Fiat cars and he was on leave for about a week (was getting married I suppose). i was left with no option but to take my car to a local mechanic (who claims to have worked with anuroop for couple of yrs). He could fix it temporarily, but had repeated trouble with the same issue. All this was back in the city (Hyderabad).

On our way back from a long trip (350km off hyderabad) the belt again broke and the car had to towed back since no mechanic could offer any help on the palio. One experience I would never forget..

Worst part was those small little issues (diesel tank leaking for no reason, windscreen wiper washer going dead and so on) that crop up now and then proved to be quiet expensive.

But I can surely say the car any day is a much better option (as long as there are no issues) ...but the A.S.S really sucks..

I still plan to buy the punto when it is released..for the sheer driving pleasure..hope it will be up to the expectations..
Old 18th March 2008, 14:05   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Cars are superior than the competitors?
Gimme a break, finneyp! The Palio is surely NOT the most superior hatch, especially in that underpowered Stile form. Dont get me wrong, I love the Palio GTX and would probably buy it over the Swift.

Butttttttttttttttttttt the Palio has terrible levels of fit & finish, lacks interior finesse and is prone to niggling issues. Couple that with the horrible after-sales and an inconsistent level of commitment from Fiat....you have the answer to this threads question. Heck, even spare parts are not available easily.

To call the Palio as the best hatch available is overshooting it by a mile.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
Why would you not buy FIAT ?
Answers to your question are pretty easy - found them in the thread itself.

1. FE (or rather lack of it) :
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
When we bought it new, the FE was 4-5kmpl in city.
2. Low resale value :
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
We are desperately trying to get rid of our 1.2 Not even getting 80K for a 2002 car.
3. Poor A.S.S. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo
my brother crashed it- it was out of commission for 2 months. my dad crashed it and it was out of commission for another 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
burnt my fingers with their pathetic A.S.S.
And for your point about Fiat owners being happy and only non-owners being the cribbers, this should be answer enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
having owned a palio once ............ i will never buy a fiat again
Old 18th March 2008, 14:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

The one reason why i disliked fiat was the A.S.S.TVS guys had made it a hell for the car lovers.But the point i noticed was that this has not happened to that extend with the Scorpio.So why fiat?Palio for all its good things is a wonderfull car for itself and now thanks a million to TATA that they have been bold enough to support them with the sales and service.
Now i dont see any good reason why i should not buy a fiat at all.
ram
Old 18th March 2008, 14:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
The one reason why i disliked fiat was the A.S.S.TVS guys had made it a hell for the car lovers.But the point i noticed was that this has not happened to that extend with the Scorpio.So why fiat?Palio for all its good things is a wonderfull car for itself and now thanks a million to TATA that they have been bold enough to support them with the sales and service.
Now i dont see any good reason why i should not buy a fiat at all.
ram

Buddy, please visit any Tata fiat showroom as a prospective Fiat customer or take a fiat to a Tata fiat workshop and you will know the true meaning of the term "Step Motherly treatment".

of course, my personal experiences ended about 6 moths back when we finally sold off the palio (for a pittance, i must add)
Old 18th March 2008, 14:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
that is why Toyota is the number one car manufacturer in the world today, not becuase their product is brilliant(most are) or the service is brilliant, but because a combination of the two givers a great experience to the customer.
Fully agree with you! Hope Fiat can take a cue from Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When we bought it new the FE was 4-5kmpl in city. Nothing to do with driving style,
You must be kidding!
Pre-NV Palio 1.2 users have reported a FE of 10-11 kmpl, infact a Palio 1.6 gives a FE of 9 - 11 kmpl.
If what you say is true, you got a lemon!

Quote:
And I find it extremely funny, when people say "Its a great car, but bad service network let it down".
What is so funny about this statement?

Quote:
This thread is about "Why you will not buy a FIAT", and not about "I am very happy with my Palio"
Who is arguing otherwise?

Quote:
Its a decade old design.
Palio still looks much better than the new-gen hatches around!
Quote:
I came across a review by a very happy owner of FIAT 1.2
It was two years ago at 11000kms
Shouldn't we get an update?
Don't worry! A 25,000 Kms update will be coming soon!

Quote:
It will be great if the extremely happy FIAT owners also write about their car, and how is the A.S.S. treating them.
Please go through the Ownership Report section of this forum, there are loads of Ownership Reports of Palio 1.1, 1.2, 1.6, Petra and Adventure!

Last edited by finneyp : 18th March 2008 at 14:24.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:14   #59

Chill! Some Like Sony, While Others Like Samsung

Guys, this is just like the Sony-Samsung story. I was a fan of Sony, but still I have more Samsungs in my house, because at the end of the day I am concerned about price and warranty support. Sony is almost at its path to bankruptcy unless it starts lowering its premium position and doling out some value for money stuff.

For some the driving pleasure and safety are more important, while for others its economy. So there is no point in trying to say this is better or that is better.

cheers:
PG
Old 18th March 2008, 14:50   #60

Quote:
Please speak for yourself. We are desperately trying to get rid of our 1.2
Not even getting 80K for a 2002 car.
When we bought it new the FE was 4-5kmpl in city. Nothing to do with driving style, since the Matiz gives 12kmpl in city, and safari 3.0 gives 12kmpl in city too with the same drivers.
Went to service center multiple times and they practically shooed us away
Got it converted to LPG a year back(certified kit and all), and after that it started seeing some running.

Just because 10 people here say its a great car, does not make it exceptional.
And I find it extremely funny, when people say "Its a great car, but bad service network let it down".
thats all this thread is about. Its not about the Palio, or what Fiat India may launch. Its about FIAT as a company.
This thread is about "Why you will not buy a FIAT", and not about "I am very happy with my Palio"

As for car being superior to competitors, having a good build quality does not make a vehicle superior. Its a decade old design.

People do not buy just the car, unless its a restored Nissan Skyline GTR.
when somebody puts in hard earned money, and is offered 80K after just 5 years of ownership on a car which cost 4L, something is seriously wrong.

Go through this
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Test Drives
This is a culmination of reviews given by FIAT owners.
Rattles, Starter motor, niggling problems etc., etc.,

I came across a review by a very happy owner of FIAT 1.2
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...000-kms-2.html
It was two years ago at 11000kms

Shouldn't we get an update?
I have met many disgrunted X-Fiat owners on this forum, who no longer buy Fiat and have vowed never too.
It will be great if the extremely happy FIAT owners also write about their car, and how is the A.S.S. treating them.

As for this thread, its not about whether the Palio a good car, great car or a rotten car.
Its about FIAT India, and how much do you trust that brand.
Are you ready to put in 5L rupees in this brand anymore?

If not why not.

A remarkable upswing has been exhibited by the Fiat Team in the After
Sales Service sector for consumers.

My vehicle was not able to go beyond 80km/hr mark, a faulty circular
gear-like mechanical part was the mischief monger.Warranty, of course
had lapsed by more than 4 months; though it had only done less than
7000kms.
LHS Headlamp unit had become foggy after 1st service, the problem was
brought to the notice of a Tata dealership during the last free service,
but the excuse of shortage of parts along with the fact that my 1yr
warranty had lapsed by 4days was furnished.

Come Feb'08,the problem was addressed to Mr.Mangesh Kodalkar, & within 3
days not only that erring mechanical part but the headlamp assembly as
well was replaced, free of cost.
Samyak carried out the entire job, & i need to write words of gratitude
for not only Mr. Mangesh but Mr.O.P.Sharma( Samyak) as well.So next time
anyone of you in the NCR have to go for repairs, Samyak is a thousand
times better place.
Three Cheers to the Fiat guys and Samyak.

I think Fiat is finally realising that without a proactive A.S.S it won't be able to win back customers.

And we Indians always maintain-Subhey ka bhoola agar Sham ko bhi wapis ghar aa jaey, toh usey bhoola nahin kehtay.

Regards,
Vikram Madan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks