Team-BHP - VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/37866-vw-polo-4-35-lakhs-business-standard-2.html)

Here in Malaysia a VW Polo 1.4 (non GTI) sells for around 12 Lac. Do you really think they're gonna sell it for 4.35 in India? Anticipating Indian production lines 6-8 lac would be my guess.
Some journo desperately in trying to spice up his stories I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 782755)
Well, Fiat is also offering Bravo and 500 CBUs in India at exhorbitant prices - thanks to import duties, so Mr. Joerg can't learn any good from the Italian neighbours...

actually i meant learn from their neighbour's mistakes (palio and fabia)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagspabla (Post 782756)
Here in Malaysia a VW Polo 1.4 (non GTI) sells for around 12 Lac. Do you really think they're gonna sell it for 4.35 in India? Anticipating Indian production lines 6-8 lac would be my guess.
Some journo desperately in trying to spice up his stories I think.

That is because it is imported and incurrs heavy duty

is it just coincidence or am I hearing lots of lies when it comes to Volkswagen in India. No other brand has so much lies going around in the market.

I think it is all a Marketing Strategy. Damn that reminds me, I have to get back to my Marketing project.

First of all they are really too late to enter into this market, and when they doo, it will be with their present generation polo that will be due for replacement by that time.
Other thing is that in 2010, the prices are bound to go up. any way lets hope for the best.

UP for 1.8L???? what has BS been smoking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 782755)
Well, Fiat is also offering Bravo and 500 CBUs in India at exhorbitant prices - thanks to import duties, so Mr. Joerg can't learn any good from the Italian neighbours...

Somewhere in Autocar I read the Bravo will sell for Rs.21L. Holy god! :Shockked:

VW Polo at 4.35 lacs...lol:
Dream on.. Its never gonna happen..
Anyways i would love to see someone challenge the MUL in terms of pricing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 783203)
UP for 1.8L???? what has BS been smoking?

I guess you missed the very next statement "Volkswagen has no plans to compete with existing small car brands like Maruti 800 or Nano". So it would be 8.1 as against 1.8:Frustrati:Frustrati

Here's a recent article from the MINT that gives a clearer insight into VW Group's plans for India:

Quote:

Volkswagen India to launch two small cars within 4 years

Volkswagen India plans to launch at least two small cars in the Rs 5 lakh segment in India in the next three-four years, one of which is likely to be the Up! concept car that was unveiled recently.
The other is a model from group company, Skoda India. The company's new 110,000-unit-a-year plant coming up at Chakan, near Pune, will have a flexible assembly line to make a range of cars from across the group's
various models. (MIN-4/4
No mention of the Polo at all. Infact the article speaks of a 4 - 5 lakh car from the Skoda stable. Any guesses as to what this could be?

Also came across another article saying that the Polo will be launched in 2010:

Quote:

VW to launch Polo in 2010
German car maker Volkswagen AG, which plans to launch its small car Polo in India, has firmed up plans for a hatchback (a car with a sloping back and a back-door on a hinge) and a notchback (a car with a roof that sharply drops to the top of the boot) versions with 1.2 litre and 1.6 litre petrol engines, or a 1.6 litre diesel engine. The company plans to launch the Polo in April 2010. The model would be the sixth generation Polo, modified to suit driving conditions in India. The company is investing more than Rs2,300 crore in Pune to build a plant that can produce 110,000 cars a year. (MIN-12/3)
Lots of speculation is rife it seems

I liked the VW badge when I saw it stuck on the rear wheel cover of Touareg. I guess Jetta would be launched sooner than Polo.
VW , Audi and Skoda are of the same group ( VW) so pricing , I dont think will be competing with that of Tata, Maruti or Hyundai.

Fat chance of an Indian Polo being priced at 4.35 lakhs.

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read the board rules before proceeding any further.

Great Post!

I drove a polo 3-box sedan in the UK owned by a friend (3 box examples are very rare but it exists) around the Xmas holidays. It was a 2000 reg car but it felt quite solid even after 80k miles. The front seats are more comfy than a new-gen Honda Jazz (:Frustrati)and rear seats offer ample legroom & shoulder room for 3 adults (okay may be a bit of forced intimacy for someones' liking). It's not a Golf for sure but its really very close in ride, handling and it's way cheaper to maintain.

If its coming in, under 5 lacs INR, then this car will be a steal. But you never know, the same blood that put a maha-stinking price tag on Fabia in India, runs in the same family. Hope VW learns from the Fabia episode and price/equip the Polo properly.

Btw, the JETTA pricing seems to be fantastic too. Rs. 13-15 Lacs :D is great VFM. Laura will have some tough competition now especially when it comes to TCO.

No news about Lupo?

BH.