Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 10:21   #31
BHPian

I should be more (un)luckier ... :-)

My car regn. number (2402) adds up to:8
and my RX100 regn. number (8023) adds up to: 13

Any idea on the (il)logic behind this no. 8 superstition?

Regards
Rex
Old 19th May 2008, 16:12   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

If a person believes that something is unlucky about their car, it probably has an effect on the way they drive it.

I'm beginning to believe that my car is destined to be covered in small dents and scratches. So far my belief is working out very nicely! Apart from the work of some horrible local children, I, rather than any other driver, am responsible for the damage.

However, people who take the last four digits for their total are really being very lazy: surely any real numerologist would take into account not only all the digits, but the numerological value of the letters as well. So all TN registrations must add 7+5=12, 1+2=3 to their numbers. Hah! Wonder how many just discovered they have an "8" after all!

Furthermore, the date of delivery of the car should be considered, not to mention the numeric value of the owner/driver's name, and possibly the number of their birth too.

So if we must consider numerology, why not proper numerology? How can some number which is only a part of the picture have any relevance?

Superstition and laziness at work here!

(my easiest UK 'A' Level exam, and the only one I passed with decent marks, was on Friday 13th --- hard-core superstitious Brits won't even go out on such a day. They stay at home so the roof can fall on them )
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2008, 22:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If a person believes that something is unlucky about their car, it probably has an effect on the way they drive it.

I'm beginning to believe that my car is destined to be covered in small dents and scratches. So far my belief is working out very nicely! Apart from the work of some horrible local children, I, rather than any other driver, am responsible for the damage.

However, people who take the last four digits for their total are really being very lazy: surely any real numerologist would take into account not only all the digits, but the numerological value of the letters as well. So all TN registrations must add 7+5=12, 1+2=3 to their numbers. Hah! Wonder how many just discovered they have an "8" after all!

Furthermore, the date of delivery of the car should be considered, not to mention the numeric value of the owner/driver's name, and possibly the number of their birth too.

So if we must consider numerology, why not proper numerology? How can some number which is only a part of the picture have any relevance?

Superstition and laziness at work here!

(my easiest UK 'A' Level exam, and the only one I passed with decent marks, was on Friday 13th --- hard-core superstitious Brits won't even go out on such a day. They stay at home so the roof can fall on them )
actually in numerology, they don't take into consideration the stuff before the last 4 numbers. the reason is that it is a common number. TN is common all over tamil nadu, 01, is common in the central RTO in chennai, A-Z is also common. what changes which is considered unique is the number itself. again in numerology a person's own number decides whether or not 8 or 4 is unlucky. an 8 or a 4 (or 13) maybe unlucky for some and lucky for others.
Old 20th May 2008, 00:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yeah, stand on your brakes all the time. LOL

Sometimes resale is an issue.

I am ready to buy it. cheers:
8 is lucky for me. All my vehicles have nos ended with 88 like 4388, 288, 1088 and so.
Old 20th May 2008, 00:51   #35
BHPian

I remember the incidence when I bought my first bike during my engineering. I went to RTO for nmber, used all the connections and opt for 288 for black color bike. Those '88' and black color was discussion point for 2-3 months and every one was unhappy at home.
To my bad luck or say luck, Imported SUV ramped over me and I was injured, luckly no broken bone. It was very unfortunate for SUV guy as it was not registered car. He might ended paying hefty bribe if I wished. But he was quite a good guy. Did everything possible for me and let him go w/o FIR or legay action.
Now it was the turn of parents who decided to sell off the 3 months old bike and every thing is finalized. On my request they agreed to talk with our Panditji. After spending some time with my horoscope Panditji told that '8' and 'Black' both are lucky for me and not to worry. I have my 288, black HH bike with me since last 15 yrs, still running on its shoes.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the very amusing stories that I've heard. Calling a panditji to determine if the colour & the number is suitable or not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW77 View Post
I remember the incidence when I bought my first bike during my engineering. I went to RTO for nmber, used all the connections and opt for 288 for black color bike. Those '88' and black color was discussion point for 2-3 months and every one was unhappy at home.
To my bad luck or say luck, Imported SUV ramped over me and I was injured, luckly no broken bone. It was very unfortunate for SUV guy as it was not registered car. He might ended paying hefty bribe if I wished. But he was quite a good guy. Did everything possible for me and let him go w/o FIR or legay action.
Now it was the turn of parents who decided to sell off the 3 months old bike and every thing is finalized. On my request they agreed to talk with our Panditji. After spending some time with my horoscope Panditji told that '8' and 'Black' both are lucky for me and not to worry. I have my 288, black HH bike with me since last 15 yrs, still running on its shoes.
Old 20th May 2008, 13:45   #37
BHPian

What next?
Ban people from having names with certain letters?

As long as we don't have anything worth doing.....we will keep doing these stupid things. Ahhhhhhhhh.....we Indians!

-- Torqy
Old 20th May 2008, 14:35   #38

I would like to post a special reply to superstuition. In India number8 is not an auspicious one, at the same time hunreds and thousands of official and vip cars in china are running with 8888. No.4 and 7 and inauspicious and nobody prefers these two numbers in china. Still the biggest question is, if these beliefs are true, how come these two countries are able to produce the large number of people and occupying no.1 and no.2 in population wise worldwide
Old 20th May 2008, 14:45   #39
BHPian

This number phobia is not truly Indian. As mentioned in some posts #13 is considered bad according to some religious beliefs. Same is the case with number 666, which is considered the "Number of the Devil".

In India number 8 is associated with "Sani" (Saturn). As per the astrology, Sani is the "planet of bad times". In my case, many of my important numbers, including DoB, car registration, apartment number, employee number etc adds up to 8.
So far so good...
Old 20th May 2008, 16:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
This number phobia is not truly Indian. As mentioned in some posts #13 is considered bad according to some religious beliefs. Same is the case with number 666, which is considered the "Number of the Devil".

In India number 8 is associated with "Sani" (Saturn). As per the astrology, Sani is the "planet of bad times". In my case, many of my important numbers, including DoB, car registration, apartment number, employee number etc adds up to 8.
So far so good...
precisely! in fact numerology has its origins in cultures pre-dating the start of civilization in india. these concepts are borrowed from there (middle east to be precise).
Old 20th May 2008, 18:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Nothing Indian about this. We changed the Series number of our product (from the actual 4xxx) while selling it in Japan, just because it is considered unlucky number there.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:25   #42
BHPian

In S.Korea (the country is so advanced! It is better than US in terms of wireless broadband, network connectivity etc), there are no floors numbered 4, 13, 14, 24!!!! The number 4 corresponds to death and they skip numbers having 4 (or that add to 4)

I neither support nor decry the RTO policy, but would not consider India 'backward' for this reason. And, it does *not* happen only in India.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I am not a person who beleives in numerology. But this is what is my experiance.

When I bought my RX135, I got it around 8 in the evening. When the Guy gave me the key the number in it totalled to 8. I asked him to NOT get a number 8 for reg number. He assured. But I got 5255 adding to 8.

Next one is very interesting.
I bought a house (ofcourse was happy since it had the number 1 total). But after I bought, arond 2 or 3 years later, we had NEW numbers in here. You know what, my house was numbered "8".

Most of my onsite trips start on totalling to 8. Interestingly the current one is also on 26th May

Not only that, most of the time the hotel room or appartment number I stay in foreign adds to 8. Infact, my admin and manager used to even make fun of this since they know my "8" history.

Its not like I hate 8. But somehow i think of avoiding it. But it never avoids me. It always surprises me.

Latest is, my new car Aveo adds to 8 (5633)

Now back to topic,
The move is stop the underhand dealing or brokers and RTO guys making money saying that he will avoid getting 8.
Old 21st May 2008, 22:03   #44
BHPian

666 - Number of the Devil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Same is the case with number 666, which is considered the "Number of the Devil".
Several years ago a christian doctor friend of mine wanted to pooh-pooh this theory of 666 being considered the "Number of the Devil" and got his car registration number as 666 by choice. In the next few days a few of his patients died while on treatment and he lost a significant amount of money on the stock market. Completely shaken he sold his car just a week after purchasing it and never again got that number for any of his cars. It is possible that the reversals were by chance but he was not willing to take any further chances!
Old 22nd May 2008, 00:20   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing could be that simple in Chennai.

Devil,
No 666 (Old number 127) ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks