Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 16:01   #106
BHPian

I just came back from Singapore. Its really surprising to how the number Corollas easily outnumber the number of Civics there, something like 10:1 ratio. And that is when you just consider the older generation Corolla (the one in India) to all Civics (both old and new). The same is true for the Camry when compared to the Accord. Why can't Toyota provide same levels of quality and refinement in India especially when Honda is way stronger here.
Old 30th June 2008, 19:14   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Got News from Toyota That It's Going to be launched by 20th of August with extreme fanfare, campaings, tv-ads, etc the car is being launched with a price tag of nearly 12Lakhs, and yes it's going with the same engine at a different state of tune to pump out some more bhp.
Thats a pity as we were expecting the new 1.6 Dual VVT-i engine from Toyota as one of the options apart from the 1.8. The Dual VVT-i is Toyota's latest technology engine and pumps out a good bhp equal to the current 1.8.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:11   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Thats a pity as we were expecting the new 1.6 Dual VVT-i engine from Toyota as one of the options apart from the 1.8. The Dual VVT-i is Toyota's latest technology engine and pumps out a good bhp equal to the current 1.8.
Well, even the 1.8L does offer dual VVT-i according to UK website
Old 1st July 2008, 16:27   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Well, even the 1.8L does offer dual VVT-i according to UK website
Don't think so.....its only the 1.6 engine which has the Dual VVT-i. I just checked the Toyota UK website and the Auris which sports either the 1.4 or 1.6 has Dual VVT-i. The Avensis (actually a fantastic car which in my opinion should be launched in India within the 14-15 lakh price bracket if manufactured in India) sports the 1.8 & 2.0 but they are the normal VVT-i engines.
Old 1st July 2008, 18:11   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
I just came back from Singapore. Its really surprising to how the number Corollas easily outnumber the number of Civics there, something like 10:1 ratio. And that is when you just consider the older generation Corolla (the one in India) to all Civics (both old and new). The same is true for the Camry when compared to the Accord. Why can't Toyota provide same levels of quality and refinement in India especially when Honda is way stronger here.
Even I observed the same thing in United states. The older Corolla (one in India) outnumber the number of Civics at preety much same ratio of 10:1 easily. I was there last year the latest one was not there yet. Even the number of Camry was much more then Civics. Why?
Old 1st July 2008, 19:02   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Things could change. The Civic was the best selling car in the States in the month of May.
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:34   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Things could change. The Civic was the best selling car in the States in the month of May.
The Civic was the best selling car in May, but the 3rd best selling in June. Corolla was No 1 with 42180, followed by Camry (41572), Civic (39967), Accord (39704), and Altima (24541). Corolla was also the best selling in both cars and light trucks. The Ford F series was the best selling light truck with 38789 sold in June, followed by Silverado (34290).

These are provisional numbers, but should not change by much (+/-50-100 units). Yet, sales for nearly all models are down on a yoy basis.

Over Jan-Jun 2008, the ranks are Camry, Accord, Civic, and Corolla. Incl. both cars and light trucks, the ranking is F-Series, Camry, Silverado, Accord, Civic, Corolla,Altima, Impala, Ram Pickup, and Focus.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:46   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Corolla was No 1 with 42180, followed by Camry (41572), Civic (39967), Accord (39704), and Altima (24541). Corolla was also the best selling in both cars and light trucks. The Ford F series was the best selling light truck with 38789 sold in June, followed by Silverado (34290).
Sweet! Those numbers do substantiate my earlier point on the Corolla's intentional blandness (so-called) when compared to the swoopy Civic.

Quote:
There is clearly a substantial market out there for a clean no nonsense sedan. One that has acceptable looks, good low end torque, high seating and just gets the job done. Add a Toyota badge and reliability to that list too. The new Corolla intentionally takes a different position compared to the Civic.
Quote:
Again, I think it is purely intention of Toyota to go for the staid 'ol practical way. Why? Because the Corolla scores over the Civic on practicality and there is a sizeable market out there that wants a transportation appliance. I know of one too many potential buyers who have dropped their Civic purchase plans and are waiting for the new Corolla. The reasons are many : Low rear seat, lack of torque at light throttle, GC, swoopy looks, honda service...the list goes on and on.
Old 5th July 2008, 17:18   #114
Senior - BHPian

Now a days its easy to find aged Civics on roads. In less then 3 years the cars are looking old, the polish gone paint dull and plastic fadeing. But you will not find any aged Corolla. Even the oldest one look fresh and refreshing.
Old 5th July 2008, 18:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was having this conversation with someone the other day. So, sure most of our reactions were "What has Toyota done? Compared to the swoopy futuristic Civic, the new Corolla looks so staid" blah blah blah. And then we thought.....does everyone was a swoopy low slung, low seating, futuristic, low torque / high revving sedan?
Toyota recognizes this problem and launched the Scion brand (US) to take on the youth crowd. Average Civic buyer is something like 10 years younger than Corrola buyer.
Old 5th July 2008, 18:46   #116
Senior - BHPian

I have seen same Corrolla which is being posted in this thread near Ring Road Nagarbhavi, it was going slow with steady speed in the morning 7AM.

Looks similar to Camry, I hope they come up with best features with tempting price which would play major role to beat Civic.

I wish all the best because I am looking forward to grab one 1 year downtheline.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Dealers offering great discounts on the older model. Almost 1 Lakh on H2 model. Is it wise to buy it or wait and get the new one only?
Old 7th July 2008, 12:59   #118
BANNED

Any1 knows the exact launch date?
Old 7th July 2008, 22:32   #119
BHPian

The Launch Date is conformed as 6th of September and it's got Electronic Power Steering,137PS !! . The Same 1.8VVT-i Engine with some kind of ECU tune-up i guess. Suspension have been altered a lot i heard those who drove it said the suspension is waaay better than the civic in the handling and ride (they drove both the cars back to back in Banglore) Our Little secret okay.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:37   #120
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
The Launch Date is conformed as 6th of September and it's got Electronic Power Steering,137PS !! . The Same 1.8VVT-i Engine with some kind of ECU tune-up i guess. Suspension have been altered a lot i heard those who drove it said the suspension is waaay better than the civic in the handling and ride (they drove both the cars back to back in Banglore) Our Little secret okay.
What about the 1.6 engine???????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks