Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 03:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Would be intresting to see the pricing and spec levels...suprisingly the article doesnt mention the 523i, has that been discontinued too?
It's been replaced by the 525i! And that is what you call pro-activeness! Way to go BMW!
Old 12th July 2008, 04:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's been replaced by the 525i! And that is what you call pro-activeness! Way to go BMW!
the 525i was always there from the start.
Old 12th July 2008, 04:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
the 525i was always there from the start.
It was?? Damn I getting old! Weren't the only petrol options 523/530?
Old 12th July 2008, 05:44   #19
BHPian

This is good news and 600N/M of torque is a lot !!
Old 18th July 2008, 03:47   #20
BHPian

The BMW India website is now updated with all the facts and figures. Mann they are good in updating their website with all the details
Old 18th July 2008, 09:34   #21
BHPian

MBIL has got nothing to worry sort of speaking.
Mercedes benz is all about ride comfort . their performance cars are specially done up by AMG.
where as BMW is a DRIVERs car . Sheer drive dynamics and performance to a limit.
AUDI is a compromise between ride comfort and drive dynamics but they always have more performance!!compared to the other two. this is how the equation goes..

BMW is being Agressive in marketing. and product placing. while MBIL is kind of settled in INDIA.

so let the Wars begin then

and for a fact even the Lexus from toyota has got more features than an E-class benz!!. but still E-class sells
Old 18th July 2008, 10:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, even though BMW are doing as well as Mercedes, in India, mercedes still commands more respect and status in society.
One of my friend's family is buying their first D segment car and the first thing they did was rule out everything that wasn't Mercedes.
Their logic? Well, they have 4 cars and this being their fifth car, to show that they have arrived, only the merc cuts it.
I personally think that majority of the buyers who would buy a BMW in India are those who are upgrading from a Mercedes or those who enjoy the occasional drive as well as the younger generation, whereas Mercedes is relying on its brand value in India and is aiming for the more comfort oriented crowd.
Old 18th July 2008, 11:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the specs and pricing in PDF format.

http://www.bmw.in/in/en/newvehicles/...?download=true

For some reason they have removed the prices from that sheet, when i looked at it earlier this week it had the prices on it.

The 530d has been priced well... 70,000 above the 525d is reasonable! All other features remain the same.

The 523i is replaced by the 520d, this is gonna sell like hot cakes...it has most features of the other models minus the TV function and it rides on 16inchers.

The 530i price has been upped by about 1-1.5 lakhs to give it nightvision (such a waste IMO, they should have given the heads-up display+adaptive headlights instead... the nightvision is fascinating to look at but how many buyers are actually gonna use it often enough to justify the price hike ! )

The new leather natural brown replaces the grey leather... but the run flats still prevail

Last edited by Sahil : 18th July 2008 at 11:08.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Test Drive report - BMW 520d Highline

What a way to begin the weekend!

My office has bought a 320d and the Sales Manager had come to pick up the cheque today. He came in the 520d Highline, with a temp red registration plate, as he was to go to Worli to give a TD to a prospective customer. Due to some admin delays, he was waiting and started discussing cars with me. Thats when he invited me to TD the 520d. Of course I could not decline I regret not having a camera, otherwise this could have made a great pictorial

Anyways, the car has massive road presence. I was not allowed to take her for a long spin as the guy was getting late (and anyways, he guessed that I was really not his next potential client!).

Drove the car for about 10 minutes and was absolutely floored by the performance. Very refined engine with absolutely no look/feel/sound of diesel. The driver's seat was a bit low slung and gave a sporty feel to me. I was maybe expecting a more road commanding position for the driver. However, it gives a very comforting feel and 10 more minutes in that seat would have really made me doze off.

The exteriors are more or less the same as the older 5-series, but nonetheless pleasing to the eye. One impressive thing was the boot space - it is HUGE. It is perfect for smuggling 2-3 adults comfortably from across the border into USA. I hope you guys get the drift!

Interiors are quite classy, with an improved i-Drive system and an amazing Night Vision camera. The USP of this camera was that it detects thermal energy and displays accordingly. e.g. if there is a car that just arrived and is parked in front, the image it displays would show glowing tires and engine/hood area as these would be hot. Compared to this, a car parked since morning would be cold and hence non-glowing. This was fantastic to look at, I really dont know whether it has great functional utility.

The car comes with 2 key fobs and each has a memory. So my particular seat, AC, steering and other adjustments are stored in my key fob's memory. If my driver uses his key fob, his settings (or in the absence of it, the default settings) will be applied. Neat, eh?

Another feature which the guy was really talking about aloud was the Run Flat tires. He mentioned that in the event of low or no pressure in ALL 4 tires, they could still run for 200 kms at an average speed of 80 kmph. I dont really believe that, but would give him the benefit of doubt. I noticed the tires were of Dunlop make. I was probably expecting to see Michelins or Pirelli, but he said Dunlop is standard across BMWs.

All in all, a neat package and definitely a winner at hand for BMW. The sales guy told me the price as INR 58 lacs on road. I think that is bit on the high side but I am sure it will still sell in good numbers, given its specs.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 18th July 2008 at 17:29.
Old 18th July 2008, 18:26   #25
BHPian

was it a 520d or 530 d highline coz i guess highline trim comes only in 530d....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
What a way to begin the weekend!

My office has bought a 320d and the Sales Manager had come to pick up the cheque today. He came in the 520d Highline, with a temp red registration plate, as he was to go to Worli to give a TD to a prospective customer. Due to some admin delays, he was waiting and started discussing cars with me. Thats when he invited me to TD the 520d. Of course I could not decline I regret not having a camera, otherwise this could have made a great pictorial

Anyways, the car has massive road presence. I was not allowed to take her for a long spin as the guy was getting late (and anyways, he guessed that I was really not his next potential client!).

Drove the car for about 10 minutes and was absolutely floored by the performance. Very refined engine with absolutely no look/feel/sound of diesel. The driver's seat was a bit low slung and gave a sporty feel to me. I was maybe expecting a more road commanding position for the driver. However, it gives a very comforting feel and 10 more minutes in that seat would have really made me doze off.

The exteriors are more or less the same as the older 5-series, but nonetheless pleasing to the eye. One impressive thing was the boot space - it is HUGE. It is perfect for smuggling 2-3 adults comfortably from across the border into USA. I hope you guys get the drift!

Interiors are quite classy, with an improved i-Drive system and an amazing Night Vision camera. The USP of this camera was that it detects thermal energy and displays accordingly. e.g. if there is a car that just arrived and is parked in front, the image it displays would show glowing tires and engine/hood area as these would be hot. Compared to this, a car parked since morning would be cold and hence non-glowing. This was fantastic to look at, I really dont know whether it has great functional utility.

The car comes with 2 key fobs and each has a memory. So my particular seat, AC, steering and other adjustments are stored in my key fob's memory. If my driver uses his key fob, his settings (or in the absence of it, the default settings) will be applied. Neat, eh?

Another feature which the guy was really talking about aloud was the Run Flat tires. He mentioned that in the event of low or no pressure in ALL 4 tires, they could still run for 200 kms at an average speed of 80 kmph. I dont really believe that, but would give him the benefit of doubt. I noticed the tires were of Dunlop make. I was probably expecting to see Michelins or Pirelli, but he said Dunlop is standard across BMWs.

All in all, a neat package and definitely a winner at hand for BMW. The sales guy told me the price as INR 58 lacs on road. I think that is bit on the high side but I am sure it will still sell in good numbers, given its specs.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

i thought nightvision was only in the 530d and 530i.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:11   #27
BHPian

I think what he drove was the 530d. He mentioned an on road price of 58 lakhs. But isnt that a bit steep?

@ sahil -The 520d comes with 17 inchers too, from the spec sheet. Star 243. No cruise control though. But still good value i think. This one's gonna keep the numbers rolling for BMW.

Last edited by Tuner : 18th July 2008 at 20:20.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
I think what he drove was the 530d. He mentioned an on road price of 58 lakhs. But isnt that a bit steep?
i think it is the 530d.
Old 19th July 2008, 03:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@ tuner- check out the tech specs on their website the tyres are 225/55R16
Old 19th July 2008, 07:31   #30
BANNED

Whats the price of the 520d?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks