Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 12:10   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

this is a welcome move. The driver is already distracted with some many options on the road . Add on to that half the morons drive with mobile phone next to the ear. Do you need a dvd screen along with that ? What next browsing internet while driving ?
Old 1st August 2008, 12:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
what if its a standard fitment ( i know this is not the case in 95% of time) but still what will they do ??
I'm yet to see a standard fitment of this nature in the front panel.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
That is absurd!... Absolutely ridiculous
Why do you say that? I see quite a few of the Innovas & Taveras with these screens on the front passenger visor etc & I wonder how many of these are directly responsible for the call center cab accidents - I think they would cause a serious distraction the driver (the flickering, moving images etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Wanna watch movies etc ? pls sit in the back seat, have your screen on the front seat headrest plug in your earphones & you are good to go. Let your driver do the driving in peace - without any "item numbers" making his eyes pop out every now & then.

Totally agree with the new law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Great decision. The front LCD panels are a disturbance and should not be allowed.
Ditto, me too agree
Old 1st August 2008, 12:25   #18
BHPian

if they seriously want to fine a guy with a dvd screen, then i feel 100/200/300 is too little an amount. BTW they are still not able to control the people talking on the mobiles while driving, something that is so visible. i doubt that this law will do any good. People dont show respect to red light (the basic law of traffic), keeping aside these mobile and screen laws!! Bringing a law is not that important, what is more important is that how is it implemented.
Old 1st August 2008, 12:55   #19
BANNED

If there's a screen in a car which is somewhere in driver's view, then it should only play video while the car is stationary. That's how it is supposed to be and these screens are designed that way.
There's always a wire which has to be connected to the handbrake signal in the car and video will only play when it's engaged. But 99.9% installers override this safety feature. Shame!

As told earlier, if somebody wants to watch videos, then he should sit in the backseat and watch it there. The screen in the front shouldn't be disturbed.

By front panel, I think they mean dash of the car. And many cars have screens in the dash. Some cars like Beemers/mercs/audi comes with factory fitted screens. Many cars have in dash screens/dual din screens. All these are not supposed to play video while on the move. Rear screens should.
For example, the S class 3 screens. 1 in the dash and 1 in each headrests. The headrest ones will play video anytime and the front one will only play when the car is not moving.

Now, the law is absurd without any explanation. Maybe we should look into rule and read the classification/statement clearly before we jump into conclusions. Some lawyer/legal advisor would be able to explain this to us. Please!
Old 1st August 2008, 13:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
. It only says DVD screens, not GPS. But then, are VCD screens allowed then ?
I agree my but then try to imagine yoruself exaplianingthe difference between a GPS monitor and a a DVD screen to the average havildar. You have my apprehension there .

Also note that some GPS units like the one from MayMyIndia can actually play multimedia off a USB device. this is where it becomes tricky !

Last edited by hellstar : 1st August 2008 at 13:24. Reason: typo eh
Old 1st August 2008, 13:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good Move by Delhi Police.

DVD/VCD screen on Front panels surely deviate the driver's concentration.

And most sensible people dont install these on front panels.

Regarding the GPS thingy,maybe we have to show the cops that it aint a DVD/VCD screen as i believe most cops dont have a clue about GPS.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

more reason to make bribes!

300 rs official fine amount

100 rs unofficial fine (Bribe)

trust DP to come with new ways and ideas to make more bribe money.

jokes apart, when will all these rules implemented. im sick and tired of hearing about tinted windows, mobile phone while driving!

cheers:
Old 1st August 2008, 13:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Why do you say that? I see quite a few of the Innovas & Taveras with these screens on the front passenger visor etc & I wonder how many of these are directly responsible for the call center cab accidents - I think they would cause a serious distraction the driver (the flickering, moving images etc)
they should make watching video's in front panel while driving illegal, not the equipment itself. most of the new generation GPS systems comes with audio/video capabilities - how would you rate them?

This is as if carrying a mobile phone while driving is illegal. Instead what should be illegal is talking on mobile while driving.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:00   #24
BHPian

If this rule is implemented in Bangalore, I am sure the cops will make hell lot of money
Old 1st August 2008, 14:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
they should make watching video's in front panel while driving illegal, not the equipment itself. most of the new generation GPS systems comes with audio/video capabilities - how would you rate them?
They are specifically referring to DVD Screens, where does GPS come into this? If I understand correctly, they are discouraging someone sitting in front & watching movies - I support that 100%.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
They are specifically referring to DVD Screens, where does GPS come into this? If I understand correctly, they are discouraging someone sitting in front & watching movies - I support that 100%.
Suman, when the Delhi police can't make out difference between sun film and factory fitted tinted glasses, how do you expect them to differentiate between GPS LCD display or a DVD lcd display?
Old 1st August 2008, 15:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Suman, when the Delhi police can't make out difference between sun film and factory fitted tinted glasses, how do you expect them to differentiate between GPS LCD display or a DVD lcd display?
Errr, by the placement of the screens as well as the attachments to them perhaps? And by the driver demonstrating (if required) that it is a Mapping device as opposed to something that lights up when you insert a CD/DVD into the HU on the dash
Old 1st August 2008, 15:17   #28
Team-BHP Support

Well lets see how the enforcement goes. You cannot really argue against Delhi police. These fellows put 400rs fine on 81kmph(80kmph limit) when their equipment clearly says (+-5%)
And I think explaining its not a sunfilm is definitely easier than explaining a GPS. Still the poor chap got fined, and in the end had to go to media
Old 1st August 2008, 15:43   #29
BHPian

I guess like every private sector organization, the govt. agencies have also set up business development units to come out with innovative ideas of generating more revenue for the state exchequers Hence we see suc rules which just come out of the blue and have no proper justifications.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

This is as if carrying a mobile phone while driving is illegal. Instead what should be illegal is talking on mobile while driving.
agreed completely on this point and this what the rule should be.
The equipment can exist, having the right setup (like spedzak explained no video only audio and gps on the screen during vehicle movement) is important.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks