Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 19:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
they are only now meeting their monthly sales targets.

Its not that they don't have competent products. It's that they chose to overprice their products on the basis of superior quality, when infact, they are selling better built, underpowered, relatively thirsty and overpriced products to the Indian consumer, hungry for the impression of German build.

If it weren't for the fuel efficiency of the VW 1.9 Tdi that built it's goodwill in India, Skoda would have folded up a long time ago. They need to learn from Maruti, a case of brand/ marketing brilliance in India.
they are not meeting their monthly slaes targets, they are meeting their monthly delivery targets, when I got my fabia, there were so many people waiting in line for the car, it is not selling any fewer now anyway, it has been successful for the capacity of the plant, with atleast the dealers in mumbai reaching their targets.

they haven't "Overpriced" their products on MERE superior quality, just see how much the base model costs above the swift Zxi, and you'll see the value in the car, when u see that it is slightly better equipped than the swift.
underpowered ? atleast the diesel isnt.
relatively thirsty ? relative to what ?
hungry for the impression of german build ? have you ever opened the door of an audi or volkswagen, BMW, Merc. - They do feel very very similar to the fabia. So just because they are them and the fabia is a Skoda, you name it a Wannabe ? (thought being manufactured in VW plants and every part has the VW and audi badge on it)

Maruti was once a good company giving us great cars, that lasted long and felt nice to drive, with all the cost cutting and poor quality of parts, the only reason why Maruti is on the top is the "Chalta hai" attitude of the indian public, where everything is fine as long as you have paid the cheapest price for it. I am saying this because I own two other recent Maruti cars. If you rest on my swift's rear wheel arch the thing gives way, and my wagon R recently had some poor quality parts changed under warranty.

So what am I to do ? what should I buy if I insist on decent quality and safety ?
Old 28th August 2008, 23:14   #32
BHPian

fact is most manufacturers don't bring in 'complete' cars to india at all undet the 10L bracket... by complete I mean good engines, latest gen designs, good build, good interior/exterior material quality, right safety options, and power that is worth the money.

E.g. are focus, euro spec fiesta, euro spec jazz, etc etc. except the euro mfcturers themselves : ie., fiat, skoda, renault, vw etc., and then we brand them as expensive. just because we have a chatla hai attitude!
Old 28th August 2008, 23:28   #33
BANNED

who even wants to buy an octavia now man. thats like going to hyundai now and buying the accent oh please. give me a break and shut that car its 10 + years old now
Old 28th August 2008, 23:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Damn;These skoda people are taking us all for a ride.First they sell the new octavia as the laura and price it so high now this.Again an octavia but slightly cheaper.I dont undertsand.There whole sale policy revolves around 1 car or wat?May
Old 29th August 2008, 13:36   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I think Fabia is selling quite well! i have seen quite a few now in Noida and Noida is not really such a big place! Most of them were Diesels I guess.
ACI also seems to think it is a success in India (read it in last month's issue)
Check out recent posts from this thread (Indian Car Sales Figures and Analysis) to get the real picture. Fabia sales are sliding, way off target and the car is, in fact, the 2nd worst selling hatch in our country (That crown belongs to the Palio).
Old 29th August 2008, 15:27   #36
BHPian

around the same time of the Fabia Hatchback launch, Skoda had indicated plans of a Fabia Sedan.

Since Laura is eating away a major portion of Octavia sales, Skoda intend not to launch the Fabia sedan, and instead make do with a downgraded Octavia.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check out recent posts from this thread (Indian Car Sales Figures and Analysis) to get the real picture. Fabia sales are sliding, way off target and the car is, in fact, the 2nd worst selling hatch in our country (That crown belongs to the Palio).
Well but point is it is selling as much as Skoda is producing it! They must be making a hefty profit on each Fabia and they have orders for next few months. Its a very happy proposition for them.
Its like the same thing as a Mercedes (that costs like double what it costs in europe or US). They are not volume players and are happy with profits they make on each car sold. skoda Fabia is not really a failed product on the lines of Chevy SRV or Ford Fusion! I can see more Fabias than Fusion on roads here and Fusion has been in the market for so long!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks