Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 16:07   #61
BHPian

Whats Sporty about the sportz variant. Anyways the car seems to be faster then the Swift to a ton and the engine is the best petrol engine in a hatch in our country.

Test drive of the i10 Kappa

Last edited by Mp421b : 5th September 2008 at 16:08.
Old 5th September 2008, 16:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b View Post
the car seems to be faster then the Swift to a ton and
Not by any stretch of imagination!
Swift's 1.3L engine is way better than this Kappa.

Quote:
the engine is the best petrol engine in a hatch in our country.
Best in terms of what?
Performance wise, its the Palio 1.6.
FE wise, its the M800/Alto engine.
Refinement wise, its the Spark engine.

Am i missing something?

Last edited by DCEite : 5th September 2008 at 16:32.
Old 5th September 2008, 16:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Do we already have on the forum any actual user-experienced FE figures for the i10 (1.1 and 1.2 versions) ? My colleague is looking at getting an i10 and we did a short TD today. Nice city car with well slotting gears, good interiors etc etc. He is impressed.

Only grey area being FE. The sales rep says it gives 16kmpl in city, as per his customers.
When I told him that that kind of FE is the max you can expect from a smaller M800/Alto, he says i10 matches them in FE, more valves per cylinder etc etc.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:40   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Do we already have on the forum any actual user-experienced FE figures for the i10 (1.1 and 1.2 versions) .
For the 1.1,based on what my parents reported for the first 1500 kms, I calculated FE to be around 15kms per litre. This was 70% highway driving.
For the next 1000 kms, it came to 16 kms per litre. This time it was 90% highway driving.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:47   #65
BHPian

My friend got an i10 Kappa (Magna) very recently and he claims the initial mileage figure are pretty bad at about 10kmpl compared to his old Santro. I drove the same and felt a bit odd with a totally different gear ratio. Refinement is good.
Old 5th September 2008, 18:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do we already have on the forum any actual user-experienced FE figures for the i10 (1.1 and 1.2 versions) ?
My mother's car has been averaging around 15-15.5 with a 70-30 mix of city & highway driving. A/C is on full time.
Old 5th September 2008, 20:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
My mother's car has been averaging around 15-15.5 with a 70-30 mix of city & highway driving. A/C is on full time.
Thats damn good efficiency!
My wagonR gives 11.5 with 100%AC, 90% city. :(
Old 5th September 2008, 23:18   #68
bkm
BHPian

Quote:
Do we already have on the forum any actual user-experienced FE figures for the i10 (1.1 and 1.2 versions) ? My colleague is looking at getting an i10 and we did a short TD today. Nice city car with well slotting gears, good interiors etc etc. He is impressed.

Only grey area being FE. The sales rep says it gives 16kmpl in city, as per his customers.
When I told him that that kind of FE is the max you can expect from a smaller M800/Alto, he says i10 matches them in FE, more valves per cylinder etc etc.
FE of i10 is reported to be not more than 9-10Kms/Litre in Mumbai with AC.Not so good .Spark gives a minimum of 11Kms/Litre again in city drive in Mumbai with AC on most of time.
Old 6th September 2008, 00:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Swift's 1.3L engine is way better than this Kappa.
How and why? Will you please elaborate...
Old 6th September 2008, 10:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
How and why? Will you please elaborate...
To start with Swift petrol feels more free revving than the i10, based on my experience of driving the two. The i10 feels laboured when revved hard. Also, the second gear acceleration of Swift is something the i10 can't match. And IIRC Swift has a higher top speed than the i10.
Besides, Suzuki engines are known to be rock solid reliable and troube free for years. cheers: Too early to comment anything of that sort for i10 Kappa.

Lower end torque is however better than the Swift. But for purely highway driving, i would prefer Swift anyday. Not to forget it handles way better than the semi-tall boy i10, and has better chassis and suspension for high speed driving.

Old 6th September 2008, 13:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To start with Swift petrol feels more free revving than the i10, based on my experience of driving the two. The i10 feels laboured when revved hard.
Yup, that is because most Hyundai engines are designed for Low & Mid end performance. When revved above 4.5k rpm they do get coarse & harsh.

Quote:
Besides, Suzuki engines are known to be rock solid reliable and troube free for years. Too early to comment anything of that sort for i10 Kappa.
I would vouch for Hyundai engine, two Santro's of ours did 1L+ kms each without any issues. The 1.1 at least is the same engine as the Santro.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:07   #72
BHPian

DCEite - Engine is not all about raw power, nor is it about 0 - 100s or top speeds. When i said the i10 Kappa engine is the best engine in a hatch, i meant it. Swift's petrol engine is no where close. Poor low end torque is the biggest issue with the G13BB. The Palio's engine again maybe excellent in terms of performance, but it can't be called the best engine in the hatch segment. When i said the best petrol engine in hatches i considered performance, fuel efficiency, CO2 emission and technology. The i10 Kappa is Euro 5 ready, the Swift's petrol engine is not even Euro 4 ready. Drive a Kappa and then drive a Siwft, you can feel the lack of low end grunt in the Swift. Overall i would pick up the Swift though, for its high driver involvement

Last edited by Mp421b : 6th September 2008 at 15:09.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:29   #73
BHPian

Just wanted to know this from other Hyundai i10 users - Does your i10 fuel tank accommodate 40 litres??? I have the 1.1 engine and though the manual states the fuel tank capacity at 35 litres, I have filled in 40 litres on several occasions. Heck! I think even 45 litres might go in as I have put in 42 litres once.

DO let me know...
Old 6th September 2008, 16:57   #74
BHPian

DCEite:

You could be right about the rev-happy nature of swift, but the tradeoff at low end is huge, because, the low end performance sucks big time in swift.

For many of us, the Kappa engine offers an excellent package that delivers excellent city driveability and good-enough highway performance. BTW, I feel the Kappa is more refined than the earlier iRDE engine as well. So, I would say this balance of excellent low end, decent high end and good refinement without gulping loads of fuel is THE big deal with Kappa.

Lets not be unfair to the tiny i10 and bring handling into picture when we are talking primarily about the engine
Old 8th September 2008, 18:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Just wanted to know this from other Hyundai i10 users - Does your i10 fuel tank accommodate 40 litres??? I have the 1.1 engine and though the manual states the fuel tank capacity at 35 litres, I have filled in 40 litres on several occasions. Heck! I think even 45 litres might go in as I have put in 42 litres once.

DO let me know...
Well, 35 litres is max reccomended by company. Higher filling is not reccomended since it leaves no gap for air to circulate inside the tank and allowing static electricity to build up more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks