Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 16:06   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew57 View Post
Hope all this will help
No Sir definitely not!!! Here we have one of two individuals who have crafted cars that look like the perfect replicas of Caterhams, all indigenous, and the creator wants to sum it up in one post!!

Mathew you are a genius. And we want tons more. TONS.

Please start a detailed account of how your dream began, all the planning, the drawings, Jeez...I am completely stumped.

Wow the Indian cottage industry has arrived. Three cheers to the pioneers, Mathew and Rizwan (in Bombay) for an outstanding job done.

I have to meet you someday!

Last edited by DKG : 13th August 2008 at 16:20.
Old 13th August 2008, 19:35   #32
BHPian

Congrats Mathew, excellent job, share more details of chassis pictures,
driving and road test performance etc. Appreciate if you share more info. like time to complete one car and approx. cost and any technical problems encountered.

Good luck!
Old 13th August 2008, 23:36   #33

Scorpion Barchetta

Hi everyone,

I first saw a Caterham when I was in England doing my engineering in !975 and immediately fell in love with it.

I susequently worked with British Leyland and later Peugeot in Nigeria. I returned to India in 1983 and started a manufacturing unit here in Bangalore totally unrelated to cars.

Then around 1998, I decided to build one for myself.

First thing I had to do was to get the chassis designs. This was sourced from the net and countless magazines and the like. I also had to do alot of scaling back etc to get it right.

Then , it was a question of building the chassis. There were alot playing around with springs for the suspension. The body was made in 19 guage mild steel sheet and FRP for the nose and mudguards.

Its a bit difficult to put all this into words.

This first car had an Esteem 1300 SOHC engine. The suspension and drivetrain were the same as the present one that I have.

This was the car that was featured on Top gear and later on CNBC and also in Society and Autocar Magazines.

I subsequently sold it.

Now at 58, I don't think I'll be able to build another. Its too much of an effort in terms of enegy and time. Alot of machining had to be done by me on my lathe. The gear knob for example , made from Aircraft grade aluminium took me one week to machine and polish.

So as you can see, to build her to these specs, took alot of passion and it was a labour of love. I had only my Man Friday to help me who has been with me from the age of 12 years.

As to the cost, the hardware i.e. engine, drivetrain, aluminium sheet, T7075Grade bar stock. carbon fibre, electricals, painting etc came to about 2lakhs+. But my effort and labour is altogether a different story. Difficult to put a price on it.

I would however be more than willing to help anyone out in case they want to build one.

One note of advise- This is not a car for someone who doesn't have his/her head between his/her shoulders. Its a car for mature drivers who think responsibly.

There are many who have asked me what the max speed is, and I have said that I don't know. It is too dangerous to try that on our roads. The only place I can think of is the Yelahanka Air force Station's runway!!!
Mathew57 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2008, 10:23   #34
BHPian

Wow, Mathewji, that is a wonderful story.
You said that your car was featured on Top Gear. Was it the magazine? Could you tell us which year?
Also were there any difficulties in getting the car road legal?
If someone were to build a car like this now, how hard is to get it road legal?
Old 16th August 2008, 11:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew57 View Post
Hi everyone,

I first saw a Caterham when I was in England doing my engineering in !975 and immediately fell in love with it.

I susequently worked with British Leyland and later Peugeot in Nigeria. I returned to India in 1983 and started a manufacturing unit here in Bangalore totally unrelated to cars.

Then around 1998, I decided to build one for myself.

First thing I had to do was to get the chassis designs. This was sourced from the net and countless magazines and the like. I also had to do alot of scaling back etc to get it right.

Then , it was a question of building the chassis. There were alot playing around with springs for the suspension. The body was made in 19 guage mild steel sheet and FRP for the nose and mudguards.

Its a bit difficult to put all this into words.

This first car had an Esteem 1300 SOHC engine. The suspension and drivetrain were the same as the present one that I have.

This was the car that was featured on Top gear and later on CNBC and also in Society and Autocar Magazines.

I subsequently sold it.

Now at 58, I don't think I'll be able to build another. Its too much of an effort in terms of enegy and time. Alot of machining had to be done by me on my lathe. The gear knob for example , made from Aircraft grade aluminium took me one week to machine and polish.

So as you can see, to build her to these specs, took alot of passion and it was a labour of love. I had only my Man Friday to help me who has been with me from the age of 12 years.

As to the cost, the hardware i.e. engine, drivetrain, aluminium sheet, T7075Grade bar stock. carbon fibre, electricals, painting etc came to about 2lakhs+. But my effort and labour is altogether a different story. Difficult to put a price on it.

I would however be more than willing to help anyone out in case they want to build one.

One note of advise- This is not a car for someone who doesn't have his/her head between his/her shoulders. Its a car for mature drivers who think responsibly.

There are many who have asked me what the max speed is, and I have said that I don't know. It is too dangerous to try that on our roads. The only place I can think of is the Yelahanka Air force Station's runway!!!

i salute you Mathew
Old 16th August 2008, 12:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thats, nice The creator on the Forum... Have got tons of questions sir, Have been trying to build something like this for ages now. First obstacle is the registration, I do not want to keep the car as a show piece and/or drive it at night [illegally].How was the car registered as the chassis is not original.
Old 16th August 2008, 15:40   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome work Matthew,looks very good and that suzuki engine and low weight looks very yummy to me, now waiting for some lucky member to post a drive report sometime soon.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:57   #38
BHPian

You are an inspiration. Hats off!!

Thiyags
Old 25th August 2008, 13:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Awesome work, Sir. Shows the passion involved and the effort needed. hats off to you.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:10   #40
BHPian

Mathew,

Too bad we dont have a smiley that shows a kneel down. Trying this one
_o-<

This just mindblowing.

Vijay
Old 25th August 2008, 14:33   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
11. Kerb weight is around 380kgs.
That's a minimum power to weight of 300+ BHP / Ton! Ajmat, when are you driving it?
Old 19th March 2009, 13:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

How come no one's seen one in Mumbai. A friend has built one, and taken me for a quick spin around the block as well. pretty wild experience. Colour is blue. I'll ask when I meet him next, if I can post more here.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:19   #43
BHPian

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L machine..the work has been executed perfectly..
many congratulations on completing this piece of art..
many just dream of doing this (myself included), you have done it! my respects!

If you wouldn't mind would you care to share the time line and expense incurred..just ballpark figures would do..thanks!
Old 19th March 2009, 14:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

mathew, salute to the work and effort you gave to create this BEAUTIFUL piece of art.WOW.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:10   #45
BHPian

Mathu ji,
If this is not passion, the what is?
Please write a detailed report as to how you actually worked on it. It can turn out to be a huge inspiration for others.
Congratulations!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks