Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 17:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

I recently moved to Bangalore from Chennai, and can go on and on about the traffic snarls, etc, etc here. I think the major reason for traffic jams is the people themselves, if only there was slightly more discipline on the road atleast 20% of the time can be cut down. Another thing slowing down traffic in blore the the state of roads, they are too narrow for a city with so much traffic moving on it and the state of disrepair makes one slow down so much to avoid those unforgiving potholes.

I am living in BSK II, and my office is in Electronic city...this is approximately a 20km commute if one takes BSK>Outer Ring Road>Silkboard>Hosur Road>Electronic City in peak hours even on my bike I would take a minimum of 1 hour. So I started taking the BSK>Kanakpura Rd>NICE road> off-road> NICE road> Electronic City route, which is about 32 kms and takes not more than 40 mins if the roads are dry.

I've been riding/driving in Mumbai,Pune, Bhubaneshwar, Chennai, Bangalore. Among these places I vouch for Bhubaneshwar have the best mix of good roads and speed of getting to one place to another, next would definitly be Chennai with is wide roads and fast moving traffic one does not get too late. Among these cities, I feel that Mumbai has best traffic manners. Pune & Bangalore...:x
Old 20th August 2008, 17:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
IMO, once BBMP completes the flyovers and other projects, the time taken may improve and Bangalore may move over and give way to Delhi for 1st place.
I slighlty doubt that. As long as the drivers (us) and trafic cops are unchanged, the average speed is going to decline here :(
Old 20th August 2008, 17:51   #33
BHPian

More than flyovers, the mentality of people has to change to reduce the chaos on the road. Mostly so called the educated guys.
Old 20th August 2008, 17:57   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Bangalore number is totally believable! On my last visit there, I experienced traffic snarls on a daily basis, most of which were worse than Mumbai. Atleast in Bombay, the cars keep moving.

Quote:
Mumbai : 18kmph
Home to work in the morning : About 25 - 30 minutes to cover 13 kms.

Evening : About 45 - 60 minutes, dependant on day. For instance, tuesday is the worst (Siddhivinayak traffic).
Old 20th August 2008, 18:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

My iDrive always reads an avg speed of 25km/hr which means i am faster than the usual mumbai traffic
However this speed is just too slow as a lot of my driving is also done at night especially on weekend night outs speeds often cross 130+ inspite of this the avg speed is always stuck at 25km/hr
Old 20th August 2008, 18:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But for Bangalore, Delhi's traffic could be slowest: Study - National News – News – MSN India - News
Bangalore avg : 10kmph
Delhi : 15kmph
Mumbai : 18kmph
Kolkata : 20kmph
Chennai : 22kmph
I thought Kolkata was the worst, can't believe Bangalore and Delhi are worst than Kolkata.
Old 20th August 2008, 18:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Beat this:

In Pune, distance from my home to office is 11 KM and it took me 1 hr flat to reach there that too on bike at 9:30 - 10 AM in the morning.
Old 20th August 2008, 18:19   #38
BHPian

Same with me on Bannerghatta Road.
Home to office : ~3kms
Intersections: 10 (out of which only 2 traffic signals)
Time taken: avg 40 mins (peak hour)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
It is 2 Kms from my home to office in Koramangala. If I drive it takes anywhere between 15 minutes to a max of ...can be anything, depends on traffic, once it took me more than 40 minutes. But if i walk, it takes 20 to 25 minutes max. So if the weather is good, I leave the vehicle at home and walk, but these days the bikers ride on the foot path. So walking is becoming too dangerous and taxing..
Old 20th August 2008, 18:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Well this also depends on the area one is driving through. As crossing the powai traffic jam in the evenings can take a good 1 hr for a km and a half.
Bangalore is totally believable but will improve after they get their public transport which now means as rickshaws into better shape
Old 20th August 2008, 18:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Not only the vehicle owners. Me personally have waited for 15-20 mins sometime to just cross the road in the old madras city to go to RMZ. It will take like 20min to walk from my home to Old madras road. Then equal amount on waiting. Even in two wheelers, I use to wait minimum 5-10 mins to reach the gate just from the Big Bazzar. :(
Old 20th August 2008, 19:23   #41
BHPian

The average speed depends which road you take; mode of transport and so on. Also with so many one ways you have to travel much longer – but true as many mentioned, we do not need a survey to say that Bangalore is slowest. But the numbers on some of the other cities are revealing.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:18   #42
Team-BHP Support

For comparisons sake, is similar data available for other countries. US, UK, European countries, Brazil, Pakistan etc ?
Old 21st August 2008, 11:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
The average speed depends which road you take; mode of transport and so on. Also with so many one ways you have to travel much longer – but true as many mentioned, we do not need a survey to say that Bangalore is slowest. But the numbers on some of the other cities are revealing.
Exactly. It depends on the roads you take. I used to travel from Rajajinagar to Whitefield in less than 45 mins and some times even 25 mins. If you are a localite, you take the alternative roads and avaoid the traffic snarls which are expected at some of the regular spots.

In my view, Hyderabad is the worst. In Hyderabad, only four people can induce a traffic jam!!
Old 21st August 2008, 14:32   #44
BHPian

Delhi slower than Mumbai?!!

i lived in Mumbai for 14 years, and then moved to Delhi and been here last two years now.

In my experience, Delhi traffic is say 3 times faster than Mumbai traffic anywhere! It is one of the few things I like about Delhi!

What Delhiites call a horrible traffic jam is everyday traffic in Mumbai!

I don't get it at all.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The article says the survey was conducted during the peak hours but still it is a bit of a surprise and really don't think it is as low as 10 Kmph
BTM layout mainroad in the morning can take 45 mins for 2 km. You are better off walking. Marathahalli, KR Puram, Benniganahally etc in the evenings will test your blood pressure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks