Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 14:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Not really surprised as we can see traffic either stand still or just about crawling. This is a sheer waste of energy (petrol and diesel) and money.

With this being the reality, I really get fried when I see the large DNA news paper hoardings - stating that there are traffic jams in NYC, so why complain. The agency that came up with such ads should their home work properly.
Actually there are traffic jams ( or slow moving traffic) everywhere. The times are comparable to what we have in India for people who drive towards downtown areas for their work (even though they travel mostly on freeways).
Old 20th August 2008, 14:53   #17
VBV
BHPian

My experience has also been around the same - 10 kms per hour. But it tends too be slower during peak hours. I often find that we don't stagger ourselves across time to get better averages. I'm also not sure if the general traffic trend in Mumbai/Delhi is staggered across the day.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

The problem lies with every one - we, fellow users, bad condition of roads, badly planned roads etc.

Why dont we use two-wheelers instead of a car for one or two people? Why dont we use bicycles wherever the distances are short or to trips like grocery store or on sundays and holidays where we go for leisure to some place?

The recent boom has an ugly face - the purchasing power has gone up but civic sense has diminished. Many of the new class - young, good-salaried - do not bother about others, especially if the "other" is not as chick.

An autorickshaw driver cuts through lanes, jumps signals all in pursuit of his livelihood. Many of us well heeled do it without any specific purpose, with our heads clogged with a sense of non-accountability and irresponsibility borne out of our attained financial status.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:18   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Bangalore avg : 10kmph
This is a no brainer. Metro rail project is not moving. Roads are dug up here and there. There's no logical plans on converting roads to one way. List can go on and on.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Exploding population growth and "economic boom" (read road to destruction), has its disadvantages afterall.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Look at the brighter side! Statistically, it means that the average speed you will get hit from behind when you stop at a red light is 10 kmph only.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:46   #22
shark80

^^ Bingo!!!!!!!!!

No wonder the deaths due to accidents on roads have decreased considerably this year... *clap* *clap*

Old 20th August 2008, 15:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Look at the brighter side! Statistically, it means that the average speed you will get hit from behind when you stop at a red light is 10 kmph only.
Bumpers are crash tested at 5mph (less than 10kph). Even here most do not perform well.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yes, exactly I travel from bsk to Kormangala/ Adugodi. 7-9 kms(depending on the route choosen in the morning based on start time).

40-50 minutes
I too travel from koramangla to banshankari 2nd stage and it takes me about 35-40 mins by bike and usually leave home at 9:00 AM. But 40 mins for a 15km distance is pretty much okay owing to the distance and not traffic. Which route do you take. The only place where i find traffic bottleneck is in front of the oracle office after the flyover. I take koramangla->audogodi via short cut from passport office->Bannerghetta road-> tilak nagar(via sagar apollo) -> bus depot -> jayanagar south end circle road->cut across to banashankri ring road. Sorry am not able to remember the names of the in-between places.

So i guess it all depends on mainly the roads that you take, the mode of travel(car/bike) and how well you can use the shortcuts and what time you commute .

Last edited by Rotorhead : 20th August 2008 at 16:11.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looked at GPS logs, average speed in last 2 months has been 14 kmph for my car (In Mumbai).
Old 20th August 2008, 16:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Times will be different for different people
People who use the Gurgaon expressway may spend an hour doing 5kms, and I do the 5km commute to office in just 10 minutes or less.
You are one lucky bloke! 31kms to my Office in the morning (via MG Road) takes me an hour & ten minutes, evenings going back the same way takes anything between an hour and a half to two hours (last week was a record 3 hours on Thursday evening).

All it would take is for the Govt to wake up & get the roads repaired at strategic points - that would cut down the morning commute by at least 15-20 minutes & the evening one by half an hour. But they're not interested
Old 20th August 2008, 16:42   #27
BHPian

It takes 50 minutes to 1 hour from Vijayanagar to Marathhalli (22 Kms) in the morning and 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours in the evening.
I start at 7:50 AM in the morning and leave office at 6:15 in the evening.
Old 20th August 2008, 17:04   #28
BHPian

So, is it fast in Pune? :P

~LT
Old 20th August 2008, 17:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Suman ji, shift to bikes. I do 26.6km (GPS) in 40-45 minutes including a 5-7 min walk from parking to office
Old 20th August 2008, 17:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

IMO, once BBMP completes the flyovers and other projects, the time taken may improve and Bangalore may move over and give way to Delhi for 1st place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks