Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 11:04   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

And per today's reports, the machinery is rolling out of Singur.

OT: The area near Dharwad where land could be offered to Tata's is also agricultural land. That area was agricultural land, which was converted into Industrial zones.

The Govt to has it's mysterious ways. For eg, one of the big auto co's had offered to start a set-up in the drier Bijapur area, but was not given the reqd land & permissions. Newer industrial zones coming up near Bangalore are also pretty good agriculutural land. Though not as fertile as that in WB.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:14   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The area near Dharwad where land could be offered to Tata's is also agricultural land. That area was agricultural land, which was converted into Industrial zones.
I think, it can be a agricultural land. But if there are some issues like water etc which stops people doing agri in that land, then it makes sense to convert it to put in use for alternative purpose. So, people who are in agri on those drought land, can get an fixed & confirmed income when absorbed in that factory.

But the land in Singur (after seeing that pic) seems to be very fertile land.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:36   #528
BHPian

Tata pulls out of Singur, Nano to roll out from Uttranchal

In a major blow to industrialisation in West Bengal, Tata decided to pull out of Singur and roll out first Nano from Pantnagar in Uttranchal. An official announcement to this effect is expected in a week’s time. State Government sources pointed out that Tatas started to move out equipment some 10 days back.

Source :Tata pulls out of Singur, Nano to roll out from Uttranchal - National News – News – MSN India - News
Old 24th September 2008, 12:42   #529
BHPian

Even if Tata pulls out of singur, i don't think the land will be given back and the infrastructure created dismantled. They will only look for other options to bring out the nano on time. In future when things calm down, they may start another project in singur. ie when loksabha elections are over and MB loses big time.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:58   #530

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Its really sad that the stubborn elements standing against this project are unable to forsee the benefits this holds for Singur and W Bengal. Also a major blow to the most anticipated Indian Auto project. The sarcasm in the global media regarding the Singur issue makes one sick.

In a way its best Tata leaves Singur, the risks involved in having a fully up and running set up stopped my these political and anti social elements will be horrible, both financially and socially.

A few months ago that small car hogged the international media lime light and was a sign of the Indian Auto Industry coming of age. What one didnt realise was that the same cant be said of our politics.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:08   #531
Senior - BHPian

When Punjab refused permission for Nano factory

In one of my earlier posts in this thread, I had mentioned that the reason behind Tata choosing West Bengal for the Nano project wasn't a philanthophic urge to create another Jamshedpur but purely commercial, given the cost sensitive nature of the project and the end-product. WB was choosen simply because it offered land at the cheapest rates besides other fiscal concessions.

Today's Tribune contains an interesting report about how two years back the then Punjab Govt. headed by Capt. Amarinder Singh had refused Tata's offer to locate the factory in Punjab. Reason - while Tata was to invest about Rs. 850 crores, the Punjab Govt. was supposed to give land and concessions costing Rs. 1200/- crores to the exchequer!

Here's the complete report:

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News
Old 24th September 2008, 13:21   #532
BHPian

I would blame only WB government for identifying a fertile land for a factory. And the lady added more oil to the fuming farmer sentiments. Result is WB lost one of the prestigeous projects.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:42   #533
Team-BHP Support

Another thing I'm worried about is that even if there's a complete pull out and everything is dismantled, will the farmers be really given their dues. I suspect most of the land will be gobbled up by politicians - like it happens in almost every part our country.
The attack on the security guards was totally unwarranted. It could well have been carried out by some thugs who are riding the wave of the protests that took place. For all we know, they may not even be residents of WB.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:02   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju_kp View Post
I would blame only WB government for identifying a fertile land for a factory. And the lady added more oil to the fuming farmer sentiments. Result is WB lost one of the prestigeous projects.
I second this!
The WB govt should really shoulder most of the blame. It was quite shoddy handling of this whole issue from their part. Also Tatas should have known better than to go to a state like Bengal. Even if the factory comes up now, there is no guarantee that there will be no more problems later. Bengal is a strike waiting to happen! Probably MB has only done Tatas a massive favor now by not "allowing" them to set shop there!
Old 24th September 2008, 16:04   #535
Team-BHP Support

Is this the beginning of the end:
http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite...9?OpenDocument

Quote:
Kolkata, Sep 24 (PTI) Tata Motors has moved equipment key to manufacturing 'Nano,' the ultra-cheap car, from its under- construction plant at Singur in West Bengal to another facility in order to meet its roll-out obligation.
Sources familiar with the development said that equipment was carted out from the plant and the cargo is believed to have been moved to the company's plant in Pantnagar in Uttarakhand.

When contacted, a Tata Motors spokesman said: "I have no comments to make." The company, which unveiled the Nano in January this year, had committed that the commercial launch of the sub-USD 3,000 car would take place in the October-December quarter.

Work on the project in Singur was suspended earlier this month following fierce opposition to the project. The Trinamool Congress in West Bengal has been demanding that 300 acres from the project site be returned to farmers, but the state government has expressed its inability to return anything more than 70 acres.

Sources indicated that the car could roll out from Pantnagar.

Tata Motors Chairman Ratan Tata has made it clear that he would, despite the investment already made in the plant, not hesitate to shift out of the state if work continues to be disrupted. PTI
Old 24th September 2008, 16:07   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT: The area near Dharwad where land could be offered to Tata's is also agricultural land. That area was agricultural land, which was converted into Industrial zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think, it can be a agricultural land. But if there are some issues like water etc which stops people doing agri in that land, then it makes sense to convert it to put in use for alternative purpose. So, people who are in agri on those drought land, can get an fixed & confirmed income when absorbed in that factory.

I think it is the number of crops per year that differentiates between the 'pure' agricultural land and not so 'pure' agricultural land which can given for Industrialization if I may say so.

The Dharwad land is reported be a single crop per year where as the Singur is reportedly two to three crops!
Old 24th September 2008, 16:11   #537
Senior - BHPian

This was predicted long time back itself when MB started to play her politics. WB govt did not hear the pleas by farmers then its natural that people revolt, politicians add fuel to this and end beneficiary is again politicians because the land which lies vacant will anyways be not returned to farmers as in our law books we do not have any such law. Then only politicans will be left out for gobbling upt he land howmuch ever they want. The more powerful they are, the more land they will get.

Wonder where Tata is headed to with all the equipments?
Old 24th September 2008, 16:25   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I think it is the number of crops per year that differentiates between the 'pure' agricultural land and not so 'pure' agricultural land which can given for Industrialization if I may say so.
Agricultural land is agricultural land, irrespective of the number of crops it yields or its fertility. The revenue deptt. of every state govt. undertakes periodic land surveys wherein the land use is also mentioned in one of the columns.

Ideally, factories should only be set up on waste land but what do you do in states like Punjab and Haryana with little or no waste land. You can't deny factories to such states on that ground.

Even the Maruti factory is located on what was once agricultural land cultivated by farmers.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:37   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

So Uttranchal gains what WB loses.
Tata pulls out of Singur, Nano to roll out from Uttaranchal - National News – News – MSN India - News
Old 24th September 2008, 16:41   #540
Senior - BHPian

But tata has informed they will manufactur nano from 2~3 plants where would be the other plants? Is it Dharwad/Pune. Uttaranchal is anyways there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks