Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 10:32   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
rippergeo, let us not forget that the MOST IMPORTANT thing was to get the Jeep registered in Samurai's name. Fuel bills, duration of stay in KA etc. are all secondary.
Exactly, I want the Jeep in my name and with a local registration number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Apply at Right to information office in your city, they have to give you this info.
The circular is posted on the RTO notice board, no need for RTI.
Old 18th September 2008, 10:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

I know this would hurt but still:
My swift VDI+abs in gurgaon has only 10.5k approx road tax

PS: Cant you look at some smaller town in KA which has lower tax? get a rent agreement there and all?
like smaller towns in HR << Gurgaon road tax << Delhi tax.
Old 18th September 2008, 11:52   #63
BHPian

you cant get much smaller than Udupi phamilyman..
Old 18th September 2008, 13:22   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
...You wicked fellow.

In Bangalore, with jeeps, I haven't see any issue (at least in any OTR's we have been to. Can't say about city driving). There are several jeeps that have non KA reg on them.
LOL with your OTR trip logs who wouldnt want to join in.

I was not caught quite often, Goa registration goes GA-01 and Karnataka KA-0x most of the cops dont catch it easily. But when they put up barricades and stuff they have stopped me - also because i used to drive top off(the jeep's not mine) and the windshield down. Must have been a funny site for them - eventually they used to let me go. But had to pay once when they caught me at night, with a stern warning to get the Jeep re-registered.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:52   #65
rippergeo

Quote:
rippergeo, let us not forget that the MOST IMPORTANT thing was to get the Jeep registered in Samurai's name. Fuel bills, duration of stay in KA etc. are all secondary.
I agree, did not think about that till you pointed it out

Old 18th September 2008, 15:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I was not caught quite often, Goa registration goes GA-01 and Karnataka KA-0x most of the cops dont catch it easily. But when they put up barricades and stuff they have stopped me - also because i used to drive top off(the jeep's not mine) and the windshield down. Must have been a funny site for them - eventually they used to let me go. But had to pay once when they caught me at night, with a stern warning to get the Jeep re-registered.
hmm, I was wondering why those cops would never bother me with my GA-01-E-XXXX number ! never struck me that it looks similar to KA-01! I've been stopped once but i got away by showing a GOA pollution certificate which was taken less than six months ago
Old 18th September 2008, 15:55   #67
BANNED

OT - You drive down to Goa often huh? If i make that trip in the Classic i will need a bone restructuring everytime i come back.

From Ponda huh? that E is a giveaway
Old 18th September 2008, 16:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samurai,

Mind if i ask you which RTO is it regd in TN? TN-xx?? I dont mind making you a 'tenent' of mine in my Hosur apt FOR 'lease doc' sake... then show it as a address proof (ur name and a address in hosur, TN), I hope you have the 'form-30' from TN RTO - sale deed from the previous owner; and get it in your name 1st of all.

Next step is, I got 2-3 Driving school friends, who can apply and get a NOC - which MAY take a few months @ least if its a NON hosur RTO.

Let me know if this is worth the effort involved.
Old 18th September 2008, 19:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

@svsantosh: Its registered by TN-57 which is clearly Madurai.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:16   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@svsantosh: Its registered by TN-57 which is clearly Madurai.
Anna, TN-57 is Dindigul. Madurai is 58 (South) and 59 (North).

Registration Series in RTOs
Old 18th September 2008, 20:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ouch ouch!
But,in my defense, Dindigul is about an hour from Madurai and should be considered one and the same.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This came out of the blue for me. Now that I am trying to register the Jeep in Udupi, I am told that original invoice of the Jeep is required. This is apparently a new rule Mangalore and Udupi RTO.

My Jeep was originally bought in 1994 in Kerala. Later it was transferred to Tamilnadu in 1995. Now I am trying to transfer it to Karnataka in 2008.

If I am able to produce the invoice from 1994 from Kerala, they will depreciate the amount based on that rate for calculating tax.

If I can't produce the original invoice, they will charge life-time tax based on the price of a new Jeep. Since this Jeep hasn't been made in 10 years, I am not sure what price they will use.

Now I have no idea what to do!
Yes that is correct and a rule in all RTOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Can you trace the jeep back to the original dealer using the chassis number? If it was sold in Kerala, I'm sure Mansidea and his band of Merry Mahindrans can help you with the dealers, probably to get a duplicate invoice? Its a long shot, but may be worth it.
I traced it back to the dealer from the RC book and he was kind enough to give me a duplicate copy of the original sale invoice! But it worked!!

Quote:
Oh man, this is getting trickier. I spoke to the owner of Karnataka Agencies (Mangalore) and he graciously agreed to give the price certificate. But when I spoke to his account manager, he told that they don't have records prior to 1996 since they are discarded.

After a call to local driving school guy, I was told even later model price is acceptable. But there is a new twist. The CJ340 was renamed as CL340 from 1995 onwards. Therefore the account manager will give the certificate only as CL340. He said he can't even mention that it was previously known as CJ340 since he doesn't have records to back that claim. So he will give a certificate showing the price of 1996 CL340 Jeep. Anyway, I asked him to go ahead and give it.

The RC book clearly says CJ340 DP, there is a very good chance RTO will not accept the certificate that says CL340, and rightly so. How do I get documentary proof that CL340 used to be CJ340 before 1995?

Does anyone have an invoice of 1994 CJ340 DP, I would really appreciate a copy.
This dealer CANNOT not give you the price of a CJ340DP. Guess he is taking you for a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I feel a little grinning and scratching your head will help with the RTO.

If not, See if you can come up with any social connection with any of the inspectors or the RTO and they themselves will give you the solution and don't forget to thank them in the right way for future needs .
Nitrous, samurai is NOT as glamorous as you are ..well atleast i hope not!
Old 18th September 2008, 20:35   #73
BANNED

Samurai san; please read those links I posted earlier again. You need to pay life time tax on vehicles transferred into KA only if the INITIAL registration in the other state was 2000 or later (I think - please go through the pages). The impression I had gathered was that since your vehicle is 1994 registered, you need not pay life time tax.

And you had even replied to my post that paying LTT is cheaper than paying annual tax. Remember?
Old 18th September 2008, 20:45   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anna, TN-57 is Dindigul. Madurai is 58 (South) and 59 (North).
Yes, I got the NOC from Dindigul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
This dealer CANNOT not give you the price of a CJ340DP. Guess he is taking you for a ride!
They gave me the price of a 1998 CL340 DP, which is better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You need to pay life time tax on vehicles transferred into KA only if the INITIAL registration in the other state was 2000 or later (I think - please go through the pages). The impression I had gathered was that since your vehicle is 1994 registered, you need not pay life time tax.
No, you have to pay LT tax even if the vehicle is 20-30 years old. Once the LTT is paid, you never have to pay again, at least in Karnataka.

Anyway, thanks for all the discussion (even golmal suggestions) since yesterday. I got a DD for the amount yesterday and it was paid to RTO today. The inspection is also over, and I was told I will get the RC next week.

This was important to me since I don't have a single vehicle in my name since I sold the Baleno. The GV is in company name and Santro in wife's name.
Old 18th September 2008, 21:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was important to me since I don't have a single vehicle in my name since I sold the Baleno.
Lucky you, that you dont have a single vehicle in your name, ofcourse unless you think differently! Which I guess you do

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks