Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2020, 18:25   #6886
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post

On a different note, with just Rs. 1.54 difference is it worth buying a diesel car in Delhi anymore with 10 year registration life. Even if the difference between both petrol and diesel car is just 50K still I don't think it is worth
Maruti-Suzuki is playing the same card as they desperately seek to increase sales of their current petrol-only lineup, not just in Delhi but everywhere. I, for one, don’t see the need for a diesel anymore, with the price gap diminishing.
Old 20th June 2020, 23:25   #6887
Distinguished - BHPian

Todays was the 14th consecutive increase.

What is the figure they have in mind, 100, 110?

Maybe they should just do it in one shot and be done with it. Of course, till the crude remains stable.
Old 21st June 2020, 11:01   #6888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
Is it just me who has got this ominous feeling that somehow the government is building up a reserve by taxing fuel more to face an emergency war like situation. The recent tension at all borders and continuous 13 days of fuel price hike has got me a little spooked to be honest.
Nothing to get spooked about. They are just filling their coffers and covering for the losses in revenue due to the lockdown. You and me are supposed to suffer, be it due to the lockdown or now in form of paying higher taxes/prices for most commodities. Nevertheless, do not worry, as I am sure prices would drop in 2022 before the next elections.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:06   #6889
BHPian

Fuel prices hiked for 16th day in a row.
Bengaluru : Petrol 82, Diesel 75

We recently topped as a country with highest taxes on fuel in the world (source)

They are taking us for granted, everything has a LIMIT.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 22nd June 2020 at 09:18.
Thermodynamics is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:36   #6890
BHPian

I tanked up yesterday and was in shock that diesel costed 75 bucks. Just 2 weeks back it was Rs. 67. But I am not complaining too much, I am all for high priced fuel. This should push us to electrification faster.

One thing I am happy I got a diesel, petrol bill would have killed me.
Nexon diesel FE (City Covid times) 19-20KMPL. (non-covid times) 15-16
Nexon Petrol FE (City Covid times) 13-14KMPL. (Non-covid times) 10-11

Nexon diesel running cost: 75/19 ~ Rs. 4/km (not taking maintenance, insurance etc)
Nexon Petrol running cost: 82/13 ~ Rs. 6.3/km

Now that's quite a lot of difference, and when I bought the diesel car, premium over petrol was about 1.1L on road which I will recover within 3 years
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:01   #6891
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

We recently topped as a country with highest taxes on fuel in the world (source)

Diesel at lifetime high in Delhi and Mumbai petrol could reach 90 soon.

New Delhi: Petrol ₹79.56. Diesel ₹78.85
Gurgaon: Petrol ₹77.80. Diesel ₹71.26
Mumbai: Petrol ₹86.36. Diesel ₹77.24
Chennai: Petrol ₹82.87. Diesel ₹76.30
Hyderabad: Petrol ₹82.59. Diesel ₹77.06
Bengaluru: Petrol ₹82.15. Diesel ₹74.98

This sounds like a shady move where you increase prices now and then cut them pre election to make it look like you are doing a great thing.

Source: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...793724658.html
AZT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:52   #6892
BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely correct. Sadly, we're extorted from all sides. When people complain about the hike, we have people who defend the hike.

I am not too sure how hiking fuel prices would push us into electric vehicles, unless the cost of electric vehicles are brought down and people have money to buy them.
I am sure everyone will agree that hiking fuel prices will directly hit cost of everything else.
deadguy25 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:33   #6893
BHPian

Quote:

The government wants money for its schemes for poor who lost jobs during lockdown. The government views the sizeable middle class as cash cow and will do anything to milk the middle class. This is what happens when checks and balances are lost in a democracy.
FrozeninTime is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:35   #6894
BHPian

To add to this, anyone talking about electric vehicles needs to remember that Electricity prices are also being hiked and we don't have many fast charging points.
Plus electric vehicles attract quite a bit of tax and are not yet affordable.

I'm all for clean vehicles but hiking the prices willy nilly like this is just a process of looting public since there is no real way we can protest.

Hybrid (proper ones) and electric vehicles are the future, but in these desperate times some relief for common public would be great.
nmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:00   #6895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Petrol pump in Pune goes Atmanirbhar – Customers can refuel without help.

Petrol pump in Pune has become the first self reliant petrol pump in Maharashtra. Vehicle owners need not wait for an attendant at this petrol pump which is located outside the Regional Transport Office in Pune. This initiative has been started so as to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, allowing vehicle owners to fill the fuel tanks of their cars and bikes on their own.

The staff accepts payment via cash, card or digital payments and the limit is set to a minimum of Rs.30 and a maximum of Rs.400 for two wheelers.
[/url]
So apparently its safer to touch and hold objects that 1000s of people (who could be sick/healthy) have held, with only a few drops of sanitiser as protection rather than employing a single (or couple of ) person(s) who will fill your fuel of choice while you and your passengers sit safely inside the car.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2020 at 16:38. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:17   #6896
BHPian

For a country this populous, I am really sad to see that there is no originality ever used by any decision making body. Just because it happens in America it must be good and should be implemented in India. No socio-economic factor is studied but just copying blindly. Why would I pump my fuel, why would I touch dirty handles used by hundreds? Why would I waste my time in all this? What is wrong with the status quo?
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:36   #6897
Distinguished - BHPian

Another thing about self operated fuel pumps in India is that the sheer volume of cars per bunk are way higher than abroad. In western countries, this works since very few cars are there at each petrol bunk. In our country, it is going to be much faster for an operator to dispense the fuel vs each person getting out, trying to figure the method and drive away. It is for mere advertisement sakes and nothing else.

BTW just filled up my Ecosport @ 80Rs a litre!

The price difference in diesel is drastic now between Delhi and neighbouring Gurgaon. There is a difference of almost 7 Rs. I guess it is time to start visiting Gurgaon for our fuel needs. The BMW needs a full tank and usually drinks around 45 lt. That amounts to a difference of nearly 300 Rs.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 23:04   #6898
BHPian

I am a staunch supporter of renewable energy and moving away from fossil fuel wherever possible. But I would like to remind everyone that ~70% of our electricity comes from burning coal which is much more inefficient than burning petrol/diesel. I'm not even going to talk about the high cost of electricity or the poor infrastructure and frequent power cuts.

And even if we did achieve to manage, hypothetically, to get all the vehicles in India to be powered by Electricity, I can bet my life on it that they will charge 70% tax on all electricity used to power cars/vehicles. The Government doesn't give a crap about environment, they want easy money, simple as that.
sabby_4c is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 23:47   #6899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

The price difference in diesel is drastic now between Delhi and neighbouring Gurgaon. There is a difference of almost 7 Rs. I guess it is time to start visiting Gurgaon for our fuel needs. The BMW needs a full tank and usually drinks around 45 lt. That amounts to a difference of nearly 300 Rs.
You can even get it filled from faridabad if its nearer to your home in delhi. Just cross the border to a bunk, refuel and get back. I usually used to fill up from Ashram petrol pump, however since this price difference I make it a point to fuel up from a bunk near my home in faridabad.
Old 23rd June 2020, 00:14   #6900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
And even if we did achieve to manage, hypothetically, to get all the vehicles in India to be powered by Electricity, I can bet my life on it that they will charge 70% tax on all electricity used to power cars/vehicles. The Government doesn't give a crap about environment, they want easy money, simple as that.
Excellent point. A lot of people here support the fuel price hikes by citing an apparent faster transition to electric vehicles. They forget that fuel taxes are one of the biggest tax revenue source for our governments. And whatever amount they are extracting from this source on the last day, the same would be charged on electric cars (if not more) in some form or the other. My guess is an yearly surcharge or a lump sum payment at the time of purchase. Government doesn't give a damn about the environment. Diwali and crop burning season is coming and so is the yearly blame game about the capital's filthy air. But have they taken any steps to address the issue over the years? Zilch!
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks