Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 22:26   #4006
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

As per Rajat Sharma's channel the cut in Petrol may be Rs.1.50 and Diesel as much as Rs.4.50. Of course it will be announced only at the end of the code of conduct. If polling is fine then it will be 15th evening, or if there are some repolls then after them.

I hope this comes. There is an oil glut, over production by OPEC, Libya back in production (possibly not obeying quotas as well), and reduced demand. I for one do not think the cut will be as high on Diesel.

remember Brent is now under $89.

I also hope that deregulation actually takes place, and not a controlled modulation. Then only the hard nuts LPG and Kerosene will remain.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th October 2014 at 22:31.
Old 13th October 2014, 22:38   #4007
Senior - BHPian

Crude is under $90 and petrol price is still ~ Rs 71 per litre. Back in 2010 when crude was about the same price, petrol costed around Rs 55. Why is there such a huge difference when they claim they price it at cost. I agree the rupee has devalued from 2010 levels, even then the difference seems to be quite high after accounting for the devaluation of the rupee.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 22:38   #4008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I hope this comes. There is an oil glut, over production by OPEC, Libya back in production (possibly not obeying quotas as well), and reduced demand. I for one do not think the cut will be as high on Diesel.
One thing that is on the radar is winters. With winters, demand for oil (to be used for heating) shoots up. That might soak up this floating supply and might send crude back to $100.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 09:02   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Apparently India's crude basket is now $83.23 or so.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:13   #4010
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw in news yesterday that the OMCs are making a good profit of Rs. 3/- to 4/- per liter on diesel. This could have been the best time to deregulate diesel.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:43   #4011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Saw in news yesterday that the OMCs are making a good profit of Rs. 3/- to 4/- per liter on diesel. This could have been the best time to deregulate diesel.
I think it is the right time to raise taxes on diesel to bring it to levels on petrol. Deregulation could be done even without reducing the price.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:56   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I think it is the right time to raise taxes on diesel to bring it to levels on petrol. Deregulation could be done even without reducing the price.
What pleasure do we get in Raising taxes ?
Firstly, is it needed ? Without taxes fuel would have been around 30-40s so my friend we are already paying enough taxes both central and state.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:12   #4013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Politically a drop at the time of deregulation may be good. If I recall when crude was in the $140 region taxes were cut, so some can be clawed back. We can have both, price cut and higher taxation along with deregulation.

I do not think India will support same taxation for Diesel and Petrol even though I tend to agree.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 12:21   #4014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why? How would that benefit anyone? Instead of this, should we not be hoping for a tax cut on petrol to bring it on par with Diesel?
Old 14th October 2014, 12:41   #4015
Senior - BHPian

I think here is what will happen. 3-4 rupee cut is just a carrot for the election. Once its over, we might get may be a rupee cut and tax adjustment on diesel so that Govt fleeces more from us.

Looking at some messages above, It looks like it will also make the petrol car feel relaxed that others are also paying more tax !!
Old 14th October 2014, 12:45   #4016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Instead of this, should we not be hoping for a tax cut on petrol to bring it on par with Diesel?
Revenue losses. They would have to resort to the age old practice of taxing beedi and cigarettes to make up for the loss, which would be paltry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Looking at some messages above, It looks like it will also make the petrol car feel relaxed that others are also paying more tax !!
We would be happy that everybody is treated equally, and not taxed more for not polluting.

Last edited by blacksport : 14th October 2014 at 12:47.
Old 14th October 2014, 13:00   #4017
BHPian

Quote:
If you raise diesel prices , won't the prices of milk , clothes ,vegetables and basically every other essential commodity increase ? Raise the cost of milk by 50p , hotels will increase the coffee price by 2Rs. How would you control that ? Don't you think it will have a cascading effect ?

I am just asking , I hope you will not take this offensively.
Old 14th October 2014, 13:04   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We would be happy that everybody is treated equally, and not taxed more for not polluting.
Err.. Not polluting? Is that so?

http://www.transportenvironment.org/...-dirty-diesels

and...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas

Last edited by dass : 14th October 2014 at 13:05.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 15:06   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
If you raise diesel prices , won't the prices of milk , clothes ,vegetables and basically every other essential commodity increase ? Raise the cost of milk by 50p , hotels will increase the coffee price by 2Rs. How would you control that ? Don't you think it will have a cascading effect ?

I am just asking , I hope you will not take this offensively.
No. That myth has been debunked at various occasions, particularly when they went for the Rs 5 hike a year ago. Transportation costs does not even constitute 1% of a product cost, so an increase of 10% in fuel price would not result in an appreciable increase in product price.

Somebody had done the math and posted here in team-BHP. Too lazy to search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Ha, studies...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...y-diesels.html

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/...uting-to-smog/

Last edited by blacksport : 14th October 2014 at 15:08.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:38   #4020
BHPian

When crude price was at this same low levels last in December 2010, Diesel was priced at Rs 37.75 per litre.

Will be fun to see what the new Govt does given their stand when in opposition

Last edited by gsurya : 14th October 2014 at 16:08.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks