Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 23:31   #4036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Private Cars are petrol but all cabs barring the new Prius hybrid's are diesel. they have always been diesel, from the old Toyota Crown to the Hyundai Sonata and now the Hyundai i40, Renault Latitude, Chevy Epica. All these are diesel's.

So all buses and all taxis being diesel is still a lot for a small country like singapore. 28,000 taxi cabs mostly all diesel.
OK, I might be wrong about taxis, but that is not the point we were discussing. Fact is, diesel cars are taxed more "even" in Singapore owing to the pollutants they send out via the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It's time to stop measuring "pollution" in terms of the ridiculous CO2 emissions in grams per km!
I think, CO matters more than CO2. CO is incompletely burnt fuel which is toxic. Since petrol burns less cleanly, CO emissions are more than in diesel. But, true, the excessive interest shown in controlling CO emissions, took the spotlight away from particulate emissions sent out by diesels, giving diesels a free run, far away from adequate scrutiny.

Last edited by blacksport : 14th October 2014 at 23:40.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 09:49   #4037
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

A shockingly huge 100paise has been reduced on the price of petrol:

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Eco...?homepage=true
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 09:56   #4038
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
A shockingly huge 100paise has been reduced on the price of petrol:
Pradhan also indicated that the Code of Conduct ends only on the 19th, so Diesel has to wait. At the moment there is a cabinet decision ruling a 0.50p per month. The UPA did put it on hold for a month, and then it went up by Re.1 in the next cycle. I think to cut and deregulate (fully or partly) will need another cabinet decision.

Also, Brent is down under $96, but remember the fuel pricing is on international parity and not just crude. Still I expect another cut in Petrol at the same time as Diesel is reduced.
Old 15th October 2014, 10:06   #4039
BHPian

Saudis are predicting crude may stay below 100 USD for 3 years, will be a godsend for India if that happens.

Govt should go for broke - deregulate both diesel/petrol & link LPG/Kerosene completely to Aadhaar. Plus make a big CNG push in all A & B cities & upgrade refineries to Euro-V asap. It should use the windfall to invest in the industry rather than just reduce prices.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 10:52   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Pradhan also indicated that the Code of Conduct ends only on the 19th, so Diesel has to wait. At the moment there is a cabinet decision ruling a 0.50p per month. The UPA did put it on hold for a month, and then it went up by Re.1 in the next cycle. I think to cut and deregulate (fully or partly) will need another cabinet decision.

Also, Brent is down under $96, but remember the fuel pricing is on international parity and not just crude. Still I expect another cut in Petrol at the same time as Diesel is reduced.

Dear Sir, your comment on diesel pricing is right. The price of Brent is below $86, and expected to remain muted or even fall further. OPEC meeting is scheduled in Nov, 2014 to discuss barrel price. Government slashed petrol price by a Rupee yesterday night, and we can expect one more cut during their fortnightly review call later this month

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I agree, but these same guys in Govt today had also promised to strengthen INR-USD to 40. As far as I can see, its weakened by 2 Rs since elections.

Well anyway, petrol is cheaper by 1 Rs since midnight today. Lets see when Diesel comes.
As another Bhp'ian remarked in this thread, we will have to wait for government to take a decision to deregulate diesel pricing. That may take some more time, but a price cut is definitely on the cards, as OMCs are now making a over-recovery of around Rs.2.50. CAD is bound to come down, inflation is showing signs of moderation, and expected to fall further. Seems like better days ahead.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. See this for more info.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th October 2014 at 13:56. Reason: Posts merged
Old 15th October 2014, 11:24   #4041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Pradhan also indicated that the Code of Conduct ends only on the 19th, so Diesel has to wait.
So for profiteering, there is no problem. There should be similar restrictions of code of conduct and other gash during price increases also.

Usually the govt of the day in cahoots with the oMc's increase prices as if their tails are on fire. No consideration of 'code of conduct' or any other nonsense is given then.

what this proves is that there are more than one party (i.e OMC) which has vested interest in keeping fuel prices on the boil. It is a systemic problem, and result of a top-down rotten structure rather than anything related to fuel.
lurker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:53   #4042
BANNED

Do not forget the Privateers like Reliance and Essar are waiting for deregulation to again get into the act. I look at the OMC PSUs are one lot. So only these chaps can put some check on the pricing. Their cost of production is likely to be far lower. More efficient, but more expensive plants and hence more depreciation costs. Still they may work out cheaper in the end.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 05:24   #4043
BHPian

Diesel prices to be cut by 2.50rs very soon

Source Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/44819617.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Pump price of diesel will go down by about Rs 2.50 a litre shortly after the model code of conduct ends with elections in Maharashtra and Haryana, even as state-run fuel retailers announced a Re 1 per litre cut in petrol price on the back of continuing slide in global crude.

Though a cut in diesel price has been anticipated ever since fuel retailers started making profit on the fuel about a month back, a definitive indication came from oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Tuesday.

"The government will take the right decision at the right time ... As you are aware, election code of conduct is in place so we will decide on the issue at the right time," Pradhan said in reply to a question.

A hefty cut in diesel price is expected to bring down road and rail freight tariff. Since this coincides with the time winter crops and vegetables start flowing into markets, the impact at the consumer level is expected to get amplified by way of a reduction in the prices of food items.

On the macroeconomic front, low oil prices will reduce the oil import bill, meaning lesser outflow of foreign exchange. This will ease current account deficit. The fuel subsidy burden will also come down drastically. All these will have a positive bearing on the government's fiscal deficit situation, which in turn will reduce the imperative to hike taxes and a positive impact on interest rate regime.

All these will happen even without officially deregulating diesel, though pressure from private fuel retailers to open up the market will increase. It remains to be seen whether the government deregulates diesel quickly or prefers to wait and watch the shifting sands of the global oil market.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 12:17   #4044
Senior - BHPian

In Pune, at my regular petrol bunk the price on display was Rs. 74.81. I did not fill up since I tanked up last week when the price was Rs. 76.71.
I think the drop is almost Rs. 2. Or did I read the figures incorrectly?
Old 16th October 2014, 13:01   #4045
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Sir, with due respect, though your reply is very valid and logical it is nowhere related to the point I was making.
You've made an excellent point about my comment not answering your question. I admit I didn't post an exact reply to your main question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But, all this argument is different from the point I was making.

In this thread, there are several comments which blame the Govt and PSUs for not reducing the petrol prices quickly enough while they are very quick to increase the prices. My point is and was this - yes, I agree. But why the private players are not able to reduce the prices earlier than the PSU's? What stops them? Aren't they supposed to be more efficient and transparent?
You have the answer now. It is - yes, they sometimes do reduce their prices before the PSU cartel does so, at least as far as Shell is concerned.

Like right now!

Shell diesel is now being sold at ₹ 61.50 in Chennai, while the PSU oil cartel is currently selling their diesel at ₹ 62.92, also in Chennai. This makes Shell diesel cheaper by ₹ 1.42 per litre at the moment. The difference is more in some other cities. Considering that Shell prices its fuels at a small premium over the PSU cartel, this is a massive cut indeed, and Shell has done the reduction well ahead of the PSU horde.

Links confirming the latest prices:

Shell - http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html

PSU cartel - http://www.iocl.com/Products/HighSpeedDiesel.aspx

Last edited by RSR : 16th October 2014 at 13:19. Reason: Including links
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:08   #4046
BANNED

Apparently now the profit is more than Rs.3.50 per litre of Diesel. At the moment most Reliance pumps are closed or in suspended animation. Only when deregulation takes place they may reopen.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:39   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Based on current Brent crude prices (which our OMCs often quote when increasing prices), petrol should actually be in the region of Rs. 62/L, but they are Rs. 74/L. A clear profit of Rs. 10-12/L. Reliance should start opening their pumps soon, I should think.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:57   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In Pune, at my regular petrol bunk the price on display was Rs. 74.81. I did not fill up since I tanked up last week when the price was Rs. 76.71.
I think the drop is almost Rs. 2. Or did I read the figures incorrectly?
That's because of the various taxes including LBT applied on the fuel price.
Old 16th October 2014, 14:09   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR
Shell diesel is now being sold at ₹ 61.50 in Chennai, while the PSU oil cartel is currently selling their diesel at ₹ 62.92, also in Chennai. This makes Shell diesel cheaper by ₹ 1.42 per litre at the moment.
Now if only Shell also reduced the petrol prices also or atleast made it same as PSU prices. The Shell price link shows Rs72 for petrol at Chennai, while current PSU prices seems to be lower by more than Rs2 (Rs.69.59 at some PSU pumps).
Old 16th October 2014, 14:34   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Now if only Shell also reduced the petrol prices also or atleast made it same as PSU prices. The Shell price link shows Rs72 for petrol at Chennai, while current PSU prices seems to be lower by more than Rs2 (Rs.69.59 at some PSU pumps).
Whooaaaa.. Shell diesel is now offically 2 rupee cheaper than PSU. That is a 4 rupee drop in prices it used to be 66.05 last week and now at 62 (This is in Bangalore)

Last edited by rajshenoy : 16th October 2014 at 14:47.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks